• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

20th anviersary in the anime

GaryOak123

Reaction score
with everybody talking about what may happen in the video games, i thought that maybe because of no game announcment there might be something in the anime, maybe an arc or something after the league, i thought maybe something could happen with ash getting a mega ring or something and learning about mega evolution, or more unlikely the could have a reunion of older characters getting together in pallet town or for a tournament or something. maybe even ash winning the league, now that would be something to celerbrate the anniversary. what do other people think?

Am I the only one who wants to see ash beat the leaghe, amd thenf from gen 7 have his kid as the protag? Serious question, I would love sucha curveball.

i would love to see ash win the league, however despite his flaws it wouldn't be the same without him, and they need to keep pikachu the face of the anime so i can't see it happening as another trainer with a pikachu would be weird, however ash winning a league then continuing on his journey would be brilliant

For the 20th anniversary of Pokemon as a whole, I think XY will still be on-going. Perhaps it might be a season similar to Orange Islands, Battle Frontier etc. that followed after the Kalos League. They could actually make Team Flare's plot and Ash getting a Key Stone happen in that post-League story, or make it a short movie, a long special episode etc. Wasn't The Mastermind of Mirage Pokemon made for Pokemon's 10th anniversary? Correct me if I'm wrong.

On the other hand, for the anime's 20th anniversary, I would love to see Ash's story end. They could either continue the anime with other characters, adapt Pokemon Special (highly doubt it, just wishful thinking here :p) or just make promotional videos, short stories like Pokemon Origins and Mega Evolution special, and of course more movies. Perhaps not having to stick to Ash and his companions would give writers more freedom with the movies.

For the 20th anniversary of Pokemon as a whole, I think XY will still be on-going. Perhaps it might be a season similar to Orange Islands, Battle Frontier etc. that followed after the Kalos League. They could actually make Team Flare's plot and Ash getting a Key Stone happen in that post-League story, or make it a short movie, a long special episode etc. Wasn't The Mastermind of Mirage Pokemon made for Pokemon's 10th anniversary? Correct me if I'm wrong.

The Mastermind of Mirage Pokemon was made for the tenth anniversary, although I think it was made at the request of 4Kids at the time given that I believe it aired in the U.S. before it did in Japan. I would hope that we'd get something better than that for the 20th anniversary. Mastermind of Mirage Pokemon was a pretty terrible way to celebrate the tenth anniversary in my opinion.

krisichiki said:
On the other hand, for the anime's 20th anniversary, I would love to see Ash's story end. They could either continue the anime with other characters, adapt Pokemon Special (highly doubt it, just wishful thinking here :p) or just make promotional videos, short stories like Pokemon Origins and Mega Evolution special, and of course more movies. Perhaps not having to stick to Ash and his companions would give writers more freedom with the movies.

I don't see them starting off the 20th anniversary by getting rid of their iconic lead character who, along with Pikachu, has been the main star in every series from day one. I also really don't see them dropping the anime in favor of making promotional videos or specials. I don't think that Ash and his friends are the problems with the movies or the anime itself.

Anyway, I'm not quite sure what they'll do with the anime. At this point, Ash only needs two more badges and Serena still needs three keys before they can get to their competitions. They'll probably be able to stretch the journey through Kalos for another year or so, depending on how quickly they'd want Serena to get her keys. A lot of it also really depends on the next main series games since that could affect where the XY goes if they finish traveling through Kalos before the next generation of games come out.

The problem with Anniversaries for anime shows is that they're so busy with the storyline that they usually just don't have time for some big anniversary special, movie, or even series that takes time and resources they probably don't have to spare :-(

Oh sure, DBZ got "Battle of Gods", which breathed whole new life into the franchise; while Sailor Moon got a new show AND a new dub. (and if any other animes got something special for their anniversaries, feel free to point them out). Pokémon is just as big, if not bigger...but those series were dead, which enabled them to have new projects in the first place. We don't know what the producers will on their plate by the time the 20th anniversary comes around...

Though here's one idea...let's say that the Kalos Saga is done by then, which seems possible at this point. If so, they should have a nice, long arc with everyone who's ever been on Ash-tachii is together on a big whirlwind adventure (and maybe some of the honorary members and a few rivals for good measure), or at least have it be Ash with a revolving door of his companions being mixed and matched for a variety of situations & adventures.

one interesting aspect is how almost everyone who's ever been on Ash-tachii and major rivals have Mega-Evolvable Pokémon...

Also...we pretty much already HAD an Anniversary specials with Origins... :sweatlol:

Last edited:
I don't see why the 20th anniversary would change anything: All we got for the 10th anniversary was that mediocre Mastermind special after all. :/

I think an anniversary movie with all the previous travelling characters and rivals making cameos would be a good production for hype. Imagine a movie where Ash and Gary team up to save the world and stuff :D

At the very most I can see a 20th anniversary bump appear at the start of every Japanese Pokémon episode premiering in 2017. I doubt the actual storyline or characters will be impacted by the anniversary.

I don't think that Ash and his friends are the problems with the movies or the anime itself.

Heh, well I don't have something against Ash, I just thought it would be good to end his story on the anniversary, and start with something new. That is if they desire to try something new. I'm not really expecting to see Ash go anytime soon though. I do believe they will most likely just make a special episode or something and then go about their usual business.
However, the anime's rating has dropped a lot over the years so it makes me skeptical over how long they really are planning to continue, at least with the current set up. I know XY is doing a much better job than BW but.. yeah. We can't really predict the future.

Regarding the movies, whilst I enjoy them, I do want to see something else in the future for a change. Pokemon has a lot of potential in terms of mythology and lore, things that they haven't even explored or touched. I didn't mean to imply that Ash and his companions drag the writers down, but not having to stick to certain characters would give the writers more freedom.

You see, sometimes I feel like the Pokemon company (I'm saying company for short) is afraid to step out and try something new. It tends to stick to certain formulas because "it worked once, it will work again", which is not a bad thing. I don't want some major change in the anime or the games, but I do believe they can do more and they shouldn't shy away from being experimental more often. For instance, the Pokemon Mystery Dungeon spin-off series turned out pretty great in my eyes (I don't know about the actual sales).

Have the league finale at the 20th anniversary, make ash win the league and then train for the elite four.

However, the anime's rating has dropped a lot over the years so it makes me skeptical over how long they really are planning to continue, at least with the current set up.

Ratings aren't reliable since people can watch anime using the Internet. Just because tv ratings have dropped doesn't mean people are losing interest in pokemon. It could mean more people are using the Internet to watch pokemon.

Ratings aren't reliable since people can watch anime using the Internet. Just because tv ratings have dropped doesn't mean people are losing interest in pokemon. It could mean more people are using the Internet to watch pokemon.

That is true, but you can't deny the anime just isn't as popular as it used to be. In the end though, only the people working on the anime know what's up. Like I said, if they wish to try something new, the anniversary would be a good time to do it in my opinion. Otherwise, they'll just continue with the next generation. Boy, will I miss the current traveling group :(

Based on what happened on the 10th anniversary this is actually more likely than a Red/Green re-remake or sequel or a new game. I don't think they will do something like Mastermind of the Mirage Pokemon, it already was pretty gimmicky and off-style in 2006 and it would be even more in 2016. Another problem is that everything that they could do to do some homage to the first games was already done in 2013: Origins, and Kanto stuff like Butterfree/Mewtwo/Charizard showing up again. The 2 options in my opinion are:

-Chronicles season 2. The number of specials per year has increased since 2013, so it's not totally crazy to expect something like this. Maybe 5 or 6 episodes that focus on past protagonists, Paul and Gary.
-Megaevolution Act IV or V. Based on the logo colors alone, it's possible that they include some nods to Kanto.

The Kalos league will happen around the time, but I don't understand at all how "20th anniversary" and "The protagonist undergoing a major change" correlate.

Last edited:
I wish they would do a few side story episodes for each of the past main characters and maybe some rivals to celebrate the twentieth anniversary. Having one to three episodes focusing on Dawn, May, Brock... I'd love that. So many characters were introduced after Pokémon Chronicles, I think they deserve to get special episodes, too.

Realistically, I can see an opening theme with all of Ash's Pokémon, friends, and rivals. Pretty lame, huh? I don't think they would go for another made-for-TV movie like The Mastermind of Mirage Pokémon and a reunion episode is highly unlikely. Besides, nobody would be pleased because x character would get more focus than y and people would certainly bitch about it for ages.

I doubt this will have a significant effect on Ash's journey, but hopefully the writers will manage to surprise us with something cool to celebrate this impressive milestone.

Well they went with lame when it came to the games (Super Mystery Dungeon yaay! (Said no one ever)) so I wouldn't be surprised if the anime made no mention of it at all.
Someone already pointed out, 10 is more special and all we got was mirage pokemon special, and that was only because 4kids had to pressure Japan into doing it

...all we got was mirage pokemon special, and that was only because 4kids had to pressure Japan into doing it

Oh, so that explains why it sucked.

Anyways, you know what I wish we'd get? Animated shorts focusing on... get this... popular ships. Who wouldn't want to see GracefulShipping fully animated? Y'know, OriginShippers notwithstanding.

Please note: The thread is from 9 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom