• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

20th anviersary in the anime

As other anime franchises approach their milestones of existence delivering most unexpected and exciting surprises to loyal viewers and those who grew up with it and might want to revisit childhood.

Such as Yugioh for example planning to release 20th anniversary movie with main stars bebg Yugi and Kaiba from first series. Digimon deciding to go one step further releasing soon enough Dugimon tri adventure for 15th anniversary . Whole new series as sequel to Digimon adventure 2 following original Digi destined group (Tai, Matt, Sora, Mimi etc)in their teenage years going on new, fresh adventures.

Dragon Ball planning to release under supervision of Akira Toriyama direct sequel to DBZ taking Goku, Vegeta, Trunks etc on never seen before quest after more than 20 years of this franchise existence.
Etc, etc.
Now it may seem like favorizing giving this to originak group only, but i see it more as paying respect to roots.

I sincerely hope Pokemon regardless of bad record in disrespecting past, ex main characters and continuity(looking at you new Mewtwo) wont be left out.

Doing something groundbreaking and completely amazing for 20th anniversary which if im not mistaken will occur in 2017.

If nothing happens even than, i wont lie. Im going to be disappointed as long time viewers of this show and occasional avid game player.

I would like to see one big movie, much larger than Mastermind of Mirage pokemon special. Might as well make it 2 parter since number of main characters is severely larger compared to 10 years ago. Writers could introduce plotline through which Ash and each of his past friends life psaths could collide going on mission together in saving pokemon world.

One particular idea i had in mind was writers touching on pokemon origins and how they were created or came to earth becoming dominant species on planet. And what resulted in co habitation with humans with some evil pokemon appearing from dark parts of universe threatening to destroy whole planet with Ash, Serena, , May, Brock, Iris etc, etc.

All joining together to fight this menace and protect their hometowns and those they care about.

Another idea which could allow that all past companions are gathered together could be better adaptation of this time more credible World tournament from BW games. Having couple of smaller tournaments(Seniors cup, champion cup, master cup etc) making one giant complex of competitions where E4 members, gym leaders, ace and regular trainers, etc could gather. Testing their skills between themselves, developing more complex strategies and advancing their goals. From this would especialy Ash, Iris, Misty, Clemont for example benefit. Having dreams heavily tied with battling.

With writers prior to that dedicating set of specials for each past main character. Showing look into each of ex main character lives, if they came closer toward their dreams and enjoy in their spats, humor and fierce, brave characters again. With younger fans getting to know them prior to their official return to pokemon anime for something big.

Similar how they prepared audience to get familiar with Ash Charizard before joining him on journey through Decolora islands.

Now i know this would require lot of money, effort and time. But for multibillion franchise like pokemon this is achievable only investing into fiture. With revenues and popularity they would gain from such act of care and reward for loyal viewers vastly exceeding expenses. Being only lucrative for them.

I would be especially intrigued in Misty return since its been forever we saw her in any action(since 2005 she was forgotten). Imo it would be enjoyable and fresh to see her back after so much time taken in new, exciting directions. See how much she changed liking her colorful personality , and get chance to meet Ash and companions she never saw like Serena, Dawn, Cilan etc.

And potentially advance her story of becoming water pokemon master and recognized top water expert in case there is World tournament or something spread over whole season as way of comemmorating 20th anniversary;

Meeting renowned experts like E4 Siebold, learning how to be more creative trainer, develop stronger bond with water pokemon like Gyarados for example realizing how to use it to full potential(mega evolution),maybe even Psyduck.
And based on how well she does in World Cup event ending taken as E4 apprentice maybe(like Lorelei taking her to train with her on Seafoam islands or Siebold from Kalos after managing to impress him);

Thinking about it Misty story was left unfinished not just goal wise, but within her uncleared love feelings, fears and ambitions as well.

Either way this would be my wishes for 20th pokemon anniversary as far as older main characters and their future in pokemon universe goes.

Because if there exists any way for pokemon strategy to change on long term basis, 2017 is breaking point and hope of pokemon company changing formula applied for over 15 years so far.

Starting to reuse popular older characters doing continuation of their storylines instead of adding even more new oners. Not tailoring just pokemon continuity and future by how to market games,but also in making more consistent development and better storyline keeping its ties with pokemon history and things which happened before.

That would be something i would wholeheartedly embrace and expect for this anniversary to at very least acknowledge.

P.S. On side note everyone seem to hate Mastermind of Mirage pokemon special, but aside from bad voice acting i didn't found it that bad myself.

Interactions were entertaining, attempt at introducing plot based about holograms taking Digimon route was somewhat original and in my opinion its intention that counts. Appreciating that Pokemon USA in cooperation with Japan decided to mark in some way 10th anniversary rewarding pokemon fans for their loyalty and paying respect to each characer which played important role in pokemon(i had no problem with old friends reunion), history and connections existing between them.

Last edited:
There will be a movie at the 20th anniversary, they just need to make it epic. Too bad the legend brawl is happening this year, it could've been a perfect for the anniversary and dark ash on top of that i don't think anybody would've complained like they did with 10th anniversary.

There will be a movie at the 20th anniversary, they just need to make it epic. Too bad the legend brawl is happening this year, it could've been a perfect for the anniversary and dark ash on top of that i don't think anybody would've complained like they did with 10th anniversary.

Idk why Ash being possessed for a few minutes at best would've been a nice 20th anniversary treat though.

Idk why Ash being possessed for a few minutes at best would've been a nice 20th anniversary treat though.

That's just an additional treat my main point was the movie.

What do I think they will do for the 20th anniversary? Nothing. Well, maybe have a quick little thing of Pikachu frolicking around with a "20th ANNIVERSARY" slapped on before or after it.

Did they do anything in particular for the tenth? I don't remember.

I wish they would do a few side story episodes for each of the past main characters and maybe some rivals to celebrate the twentieth anniversary. Having one to three episodes focusing on Dawn, May, Brock... I'd love that. So many characters were introduced after Pokémon Chronicles, I think they deserve to get special episodes, too.

Realistically, I can see an opening theme with all of Ash's Pokémon, friends, and rivals. Pretty lame, huh? I don't think they would go for another made-for-TV movie like The Mastermind of Mirage Pokémon and a reunion episode is highly unlikely. Besides, nobody would be pleased because x character would get more focus than y and people would certainly bitch about it for ages.

I doubt this will have a significant effect on Ash's journey, but hopefully the writers will manage to surprise us with something cool to celebrate this impressive milestone.

If not a Made for TV movie. how about a real movie instead? There's still one more event pokemon to promote and having the move come out on the 20th annaversery would help with that (though you could argue that the Hoopa movie would be the anniversary celebration with all the Legendary pokemon featured there)

Probably just some merchandise. Pikachu holding a 20 and etc.

Special episode maybe?

They remastered "Pokemon, I Choose You!" for the 15th anniversary, maybe they'll do something similar. Plus, they won't have to make something new then.

I'd like to see Ash reunite with Brock, Misty, May, Dawn, Cilan, Iris, and Tracey for some episodes. Plus it would be neat to see Serena possibly get jealous of Misty

I just want dvds of the johto seasons for the 20th anniversary.

But Viz media refuses to acknowledge its existence it seems

Please note: The thread is from 9 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom