• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Review XY093: The Double Battle in the Hyakkoku Gym! Gojika's Future Sight!

Here is my summary of the episode.

The episode starts off with Ash and Olympia standing on the Anistar City Gym battlefield.

Olympia sends her male and female Meowstic out of their Poke Ball's.

Ash is prepared to battle against Olympia.

Sophie and Cosette are standing near the Anistar City Sundial.

Team Rocket are also standing near the Anistar City Sundial.

Team Rocket are disguised as reporters and they are filming Sophie and Cosette.

Team Rocket look up at the Anistar City Sundial and become scared.

Back inside the Anistar City Gym, Ash and Olympia's Gym battle is about to start.

Clemont, Bonnie, Serena and Professor Sycamore are on the sidelines and they are about to watch Ash's Gym battle against Olympia.

Olympia's Psychic Trainers are also about to watch the battle from the sidelines, in another area on the sidelines.

Ash sends his Frogadier from out of its Poke Ball.

Ash then sends his Talonflame from out of its Poke Ball.

Ash tells Pikachu that he will battle Olympia with just his Frogadier and Olympia.

Sheryl is the referee for Ash's Gym battle against Olympia.

Sheryl starts the Gym battle between Ash and Olympia.

Ash's Frogadier attacks with Water Pulse and Ash's Talonflame attacks with Flame Charge.

Olympia's male Meowstic uses Helping Hand on Olympia's female Meowstic.

The female Meowstic uses Future Sight.

Both of Olympia's Meowstic use Psyshock to attack Ash's Frogadier and Talonflame.

Ash's Frogadier attacks with Water Pulse and then with Cut.

Ash's Taloflame attacks with Brave Bird.

Olympia's female Meowstic's Future Sight attack from earlier strikes Frogadier and Talonflame.

Ash figures that he needs to be able to time when Olympia's female Meowstic's Future Sight attack will strike after it's started.

Ash asks Pikachu to use its tail as a metronome, so that Pikachu can tell Ash when the next Future Sight attack will strike.

Ash's Talonflame is in mid air and then Olympia's male Meowstic sends a Thunder Wave attack towards Talonflame.

Frogadier jumps in front of Talonflame.

The Thunder Wave hits Frogadier.

The Pokemon Quiz: Meowstic (female).

Frogadier falls to the ground bellow after being hit with Thunder Wave.

Olympia's female Meowstic uses Future Sight again.

Pikachu begins to swish his tail from side to side, in order to tell when the Future Sight attack will strike next.

Frogadier jumps on Talonflame's back and attacks one or both of Olympia's Meowstic with Cut.

Both of Olympia's Meowstic attack Frogadier with Psyshock.

Frogadier tries to hold back the attack with Water Pulse.

Frogadier strugles to hold back the Psyshock attack's.

Olympia opens her eyes wide and sees a faint image of Ash Greninja standing next to Frogadier.

Frogadier pushes back the Psyshock attack's with its Water Pulse and sends Olympia's male and female Meowstic flying.

Both of Olympia's Meowstic fall to the ground and are both now defeated.

Ash has won his Gym battle against Olympia.

Ash's Frogadier and Talonflame are happy that they have helped win Ash his battle against Olympia.

Olympia recalls her male and female Meowstic into their Poke Ball's, which are floating in the air, near Olympia.

Frogadier falls over after the battle, because Frogadier is still paralysed from the Thunder Wave attack that it was hit by earlier.

Olympia gives Ash the Psychic Badge.

Ash holds up his Psychic Badge in the air and does a victory pose with his Pikachu, Frogadier and Talonflame by his side.

Olympia mentions something about Team Rocket.

Team Rocket are flying above the ocean near Anistar City in their Meowth Balloon.

Ash and co., along with Professor Sycamore are all outside a Pokemon Center in Anistar City.

Professor Sycamore gives Ash and Serena a new Pokedex each.

Inside the Anistar City Gym, Olympia is floating in the air alongside her two Meowstic.

Olympia has a vision of the future.

In the vision is Zygarde 50%.

To be continued.

Last edited by a moderator:
Best Kalos gym battle.

Amazing animation, strategy, music, action and most importantly both Frogadier and Talonflame got to kick some ass.

Simply perfect. And brilliant use of Pikachu.

Re: XY092: The Double Battle in the Hyakkoku Gym! Gojika's Future Sight!!

It was an amazing gym battle ever! I thought V is used for Frogadier's evolution, but no. It was used during the gym battle. It was a good idea for Ash using Pikachu an a metronome to count the timing when the Future Sight with strike. Man, Ash and Serena received new Pok�dexs from Sycamore that look similar to these ones from ORAS. Good things Team Rocket didn't interrupt today's gym battle, and continue their duty of stealing Pikachu. I saw Greninja's premonition! There was no "Next time, a new beginning!" at the end of the episode since it is the final episode of XY series. Next week, Zygarde will shine the new series because we saw its premonition at the end.

I'm giving for this episode 9/10 for Ash's wonderful gym battle and Pikachu metronome plan.

That was a pretty good Gym Battle. I liked Pikachu's voice when it was swishing his tail, because that kind of pumped up the mood of the battle even more.

YES

GOJIKA PREDICTED THAT THE ROCKET TRIO WILL HAVE A BIG ROLE IN THE UPCOMING STORY ARC

THIS IS THE BEST CHRISTMAS EVER

YES

GOJIKA PREDICTED THAT THE ROCKET TRIO WILL HAVE A BIG ROLE IN THE UPCOMING STORY ARC

Wait, seriously? So maybe Giovanni could be involved again?

OMFG THAT WAS SO AMAZING! The Anistar City Gym battle lived up to every expectation I had going into this one! I LOVE the choreography of the battle! Just seeing Talonflame carrying Frogadier, while flying through and dodging the Psychic manipulated Dark Pulse and Psyshock(I think.) was incredible. The teamwork between Frogadier and Talonflame was pretty amazing, like the Brave Bird/Double Team combo.

I love also how Pikachu was used also as a metronome to keep track of Future Sight. Seeing Ash use Future Sight against them way pretty awesome. Turning Dark Pulse and Psyshock against Meowstic, then grabbing them and CHUCKING them into Future Sight! THAT WAS AMAZING! I love how it ended also! A Flame Charge from Talonflame and that final stand off between Psychock and Water Pulse was pretty cool.

Also..Did Olympia's female Meowstic use 6 attacks? Future Sight, Dark Pulse, Psyshock, Thunder Wave, Psychic, and was that Protect also at the start?

This is no doubt the best gym battle Kalos has had to offer!

10/10

Last edited:
YES

There was a clip on Oha Suta yesterday that showed Team Rocket stalking Team Flare, so yeah.

Also, PlayerKing, please can you fix the episode numbering already? The joke has has gone on long enough and it's pretty pathetic.

This epsidoe just left me speechless. So much layer of strategies and tactics.

Kiting attacks? Check. Metronome counter? Check. Having Frogadier watch Talonflame's back? Check. Completely turning Future Sight against the Meoswtics? Check. Ash keep revising his tactic mid battle? Check.

Ash is starting to look OP. But I really won't want a nerf!

Not just the battle strategies, the Animations, oh man. That Water Pulse blocking Psyshock makes me want to watch this episode again and again.

I really can't ask for more. 20/10. Its like having two scoop of Ice Cream at one go, my favourite flavour non-the-less.

YES

There was a clip on Oha Suta yesterday that showed Team Rocket stalking Team Flare, so yeah.

Also, PlayerKing, please can you fix the episode numbering already? The joke has has gone on long enough and it's pretty pathetic.

Bulbapedia's episode # order is wrong!? the latin american wiki of Pokémon looks up to Bulbapedia's episode order.

The current numbering used here just reflects the numbering Bulbapedia uses. If you disagree with that numbering, you can bring it up here. Please don't bring it up in preview or review threads, they are solely for discussing the episode (and saga) at hand.

This epsidoe just left me speechless. So much layer of strategies and tactics.

Kiting attacks? Check. Metronome counter? Check. Having Frogadier watch Talonflame's back? Check. Completely turning Future Sight against the Meoswtics? Check. Ash keep revising his tactic mid battle? Check.

Ash is starting to look OP. But I really won't want a nerf!

Not just the battle strategies, the Animations, oh man. That Water Pulse blocking Psyshock makes me want to watch this episode again and again.

I really can't ask for more. 20/10. Its like having two scoop of Ice Cream at one go, my favourite flavour non-the-less.

I completely agree. It was an amazing way to finish off the XY season. The only downside was Frogadier's lack of evolution. Anyway, still 10/10 in my eyes. Talonflame and Frogadier as a team is awesome. I would like to see more double gym battles in the anime.

Playerking said:
So maybe Giovanni could be involved again?

There's no reason to think so at this point. Gojika mentioned "the ones who tried to steal the sundial" without actually naming the organization they belong to.

Right now it looks like only the Rocket trio will be involved.

Which isn't really surprising to me as they've played a part in both Team Galactic and Team Plasma's demise (I'm not too familiar with what happened during the Magma/Aqua thing in AG so they may have been there too).

The quality of the battle really didn't leave me feeling upset that Frogadier didn't evolve, not to mention the new XYZ Trailer having that Ash and Greninja morphing scene was veeeery nice. Talonflame was awesome, I'd almost say it was the MVP for the battle, even if I want to say Frogadier for that Water Pulse at the end, lol.

Loved the use of Flame Charge to prevent the Dark Pulse/Psyshock sandwich, and just seeing Frogadier riding on Talonflame's back with the Cut sword was cool as hell. The spinning Steel Wing... nicenicenicenice. :]

The new Pokedex was interesting, has the ORAS design. I didn't catch Sycamore's explanation of why but I thought I heard him say something about Mega Evolution?

Mega Volt was the choice of insert song, I don't think we've actually heard it used with lyrics before, I know they had it for Goodra but it was an instrumental iirc. If that was done because of the Pikachu/Frogadier/Talonflame original XY trio then I applaud the detail.

Great way to transition to XYZ.

Anistar Gym? More like Astrolabe Gym. Am I right??

Anyway, that was nice of Professor Sycamore to give Ash and Serena some vintage Gameboy Advances. Yeah, I couldn't resist that one, either.

Great gym battle. It may not have caught up to the likes of AtLA or LoK, but it was still neat. Although I wish "Mega Volt" hadn't been playing toward the end. You know, that's one of my biggest problems with Japanese anime; the fact that insert songs basically spoil the fact that a battle is going to be won by the good guys. Oh well. It was still neat, and I will patiently wait for its dub.

Last edited:
Although I wish "Mega Volt" hadn't been playing toward the end. You know, that one of my biggest problems with Japanese anime; the fact that insert songs basically spoil the fact that a battle is going to be won by the good guys. Oh well.

Even though I really like Mega Volt, I agree with you. But since the battle had been going on for a while at that point, I welcomed the explicit closing.

I really liked this Gym Battle. The spinning Steel Wing, all of Meowstics combination moves, the redirected Future Sight and ending moves were too impressive. Meowstic are also some of my favorite Pokemon and seeing them animated like this was very satisfying.

The only thing that slightly irked me is that in-game Olympia is a woman of few words, with all of those words being to the point and most spoken in haiku. I know it would be difficult, but I really wanted the writers to convey the same strength, charisma and awe she's given us in these past two episodes through her in-game persona.

This gym battle was epic. Definitely my new favorite gym battle this season.

I really like that Sycamore was watching battle with the rest of the gang. I'm thrilled beyond belief that Talonflame was in this gym instead of Pikachu, but I honestly felt a bit bad for him when Ash chose told him him to wait and sent out Talonflame when he was already in battle ready mode.

I love the way Olypmia started the battle; using a defensive move to increase her defenses from the start and Future sight to catch Ash off guard later on.

Frogadier catching Talonflame after he got hit was really cool, but at the same time, why does Talonflame look so small in this episode? He was taller than Frogadier in his evolution episode as he should have been, so why is he so puny here? Anyway, I liked how when the two of them fell, Pikachu called out the them and they responded.

Using Pikachu to time the Future Sight was really smart on Ash's behalf, but I kind of wish it had been done by one of the Pokemon actually in the battle. I realize that probably would have been a lot with how tough Olympia was, but still...thought it would have been nice.

Frogadier protect Talonflamefrom Thunder Wave was great and is probably what ended up winning Ash the battle since Talonflame's speed is that really came through for them at the end. I love how Talonflame got in front of Frogadier to protect him.

Ok, am I the only one who thought it was weird that the Meowstic's eyes were closed like 90% of the time. I mean I know a lot of Psychic-types tend to close their eyes when using psychic moves, but these two had their eyes closed for nearly the entire battle. It was a bit weird and creepy to me. Anyway, Talonflame's spinning Steel Wing was super epic. I know we already had Frogadier catching Talonflame, but Talonflame catching Froagadier in the air was extra special to me since he wasn't even commanded to do so.To bad the moment was ruined by the Future Sight hit.

Frogadier riding Talonflame in the air was too cool and all that sir dodgeing was so epic and beautifully animated. Making the Meowstic attacked themselves and throwing them into Future Sight immediatley after was probably Ash's best play in this match.

I loved Talonflame once again saving Frogadier after he was slowed from paralysis. Ash using Flame charge to protect the two from Meowstic's attacks was great. It was great having Talsonflame and Frogadier split up to knock out both Meowstic separately. And while I'm still not happy about Frogadier's upcoming hideous evolution and the even uglier transformation, the scene where he powered up his Water Pulse with his future form being show was pretty cool. I like how this gym battle was won with the combined efforts of the original 3 of Ash's Kalos team.

What the hell, Olympia just produced random psychic orbs. What was that even for? Whatever. This woman is a mystery.

Amazing battle and great way to end XY before XY and Z. 10/10.

Those movie musics feel way out-of-place in regular episodes... Not sure if that's because they're too serious or if I just don't care about them whatsoever.
Rather the upbeat game OST or any vocal opening...

Please note: The thread is from 8 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom