• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Review XY098: Pikachu, Dreams of Puni-chan!

Weird episode. Like super weird. I know it was a dream but random bulk of fire with an evil face is just..... dumb in a way.

Darkrai's only use in the Anime seems to be exposition.... or prophecy in someway, as things hasn't happen yet (like Movie 10).

Puni-chan able to fix the whole forest as a core? I know its a dream but Darkrai doesn't seem to be lying.

And Puni-chan totally sounded like a witch, and Mewoth and Pikachu is staring at Puni-chan as if mesmerized by a crystal ball.

Weirrrrrrdddddd. ?/10 because its too weird for me. I can't even rate it.

????????????????????????
I didn't understand any aspect of this episode.
It was neither hilariously cracky nor did it seem to move the plot forward (unless it contained some key dialogue which I missed, which is entirely possible.)

I'm disappointed at the lack of focus on the other pokemon. And no Sonano - Wynaut?!?!? (Soz couldn't help myself...)

Well Musashi spoke in Sonansu language at the start of Nyasu's dream so that's something at least :/

But yeah, this was a pretty pointless episode. I guess when our gang comes across perfect Zygarde next year Pikachu and Nyasu will be able to recognize it because of this episode but that's about it...? A complete waste of an episode.

I'm sure the pokemon's voice actors had a lot of fun speaking human language for a change, tho.

Nothing interesting in this episode. The only thing I liked was Chespin and Pancham in their evolution, and they still rivalry in a dream. I knew it was a dream, but seeing Zygarde Complete Forme was quite terrifying. So I'm giving 4/10 starts for it. What a pointless episode, really! Next week we'll have something good, I guess.

Kind of unusual strange episode, liked it since it was something different and random - and of course Delphox was there (even if it was just a dream)
[]5/10[/s]

After rewatcing it 2 times - going to rerate it as 8/10
I think I'm getting it

Last edited:
Pretty weird episode. I mean, a Darkrai just shows up out of nowhere and causes Pikachu to have a freaky nightmare. And I know that's what Darkrai are known for, but still. It was kind of random...and ultimately kinda boring. I did think Pikachu's reactions to the other Pokemon being in different evolutionary states and talking were hilarious so I'll give it that. But other wise a pretty meh episode. I did enjoy seeing Braxien as Delphox though. Hopefully she actually evolves at some point. Could have done without Bunnelby's horrid evolution, but whatever. Thank goodness we didn't see that much of him like that. At least Squishy kind of got some decent screen time...in the dream. Honestly, I can't really judge since it was so dialogue heavy.

I'll give it a 3/10 for now.

Last edited:
I thought the episode had a lot of potential that went to waste.

It was an ideal opportunity for the writers to both advance the plot and make use of the cast's wide array of Pokemon for some fun interactions. Instead, the only thing that could count as plot development would be Pikachu and Meowth getting a glimpse of the Perfect Zygarde which doesn't really mean anything. The focus was primarily on Pikachu, Meowth and Squishy and the rest of the cast didn't get nearly enough screentime.

Although Jessie and James speaking in poketongue was kinda funny and so was Froakie-Ash.

And I enjoyed Pancham/Chespin -> Pangoro/Chesnaught interactions for what it's worth.

Overall though, somewhat disappointing.

I thought that this episode would be interesting, but it's just showing us Darkrai giving Pikachu and Meowth a nightmare.The episode has some funny parts in it like Pikachu running away from Froakie, Delphox, and Diggersby when he sees them the first time, Piachu started screaming and waking everyone up, and Pikachu and Meowth crashing into each other twice both in dream and in reality.

Good thing that explosion didn't happen while everyone's asleep in their sleeping bags though.

It was a pointless episode sure, but I liked the voices for the Pokemon, especially Chespin/Chesnaught and Pancham/Pangoro! XD I can't help but find myself hoping that the voice actors will have another chance to speak human again...

Darkrai randomly appearing in the Kalos region... Weird. Seriously, the episode makes it seem like it just travels to each region and scare the crap out of everyone in their dreams for giggles or something (nah).

Still, it was nice to see it in an episode I guess.

XY&Z...Imma disappoint :(

With the exception of some (overly subtle) foreshadowing for Perfect Zygarde and maybe Team Flare, it's pure filler. And a subpar one at that. It was like those Battle Frontier fillers that tried to be "Kanto Krazy", but just didn't succeed.

Doesn't do much for the Zygarde arc, doesn't truly live up to the potential of being as whacky/batcrap insane as we thought it would be.

...though this does make me very curious about what TPCI will do. Will they have the Pokémon's VAs talk, or use different VAs for the occasion???
(Also, will Bunnleby-Diggersby use his best King Dedede impersonation???)

Last edited:
Yep, this was uninteresting.
With the exception of some foreshadowing for Perfect Zygarde, it's pure filler. And not even a very good one. It was like those Battle Frontier fillers that tried to be "Kanto Krazy", but didn't really succeed.
Totally agree. It was like the writers were trying to emulate Island of the Giant Pokemon with this one and the attempt fell short.

Why are the writers loading up all of these fillers at the beginning of the Zygarde arc? It's really losing the momentum we got from that great first episode.

Why are the writers loading up all of these fillers at the beginning of the Zygarde arc? It's really losing the momentum we got from that great first episode.
I agree with this, though part of me is hoping they're getting all the fillers out of the way so they can leave the important stuff for later.

At the very least, all the episodes after this one until the final episode of 2014 are plot-relevant.

Mediocre episode. What was a cool idea ended up as an episode with weird plot progression and no direction at all. The ONLY surprise was Ash, Jessie and James using "pokelanguage". I still liked the concept and also liked seeing Puni-chan wise and playing the role of a powerful but coffined creature, but there was no story progress at all. I'm glad this filler arc is done, although XY098 looks predictable.

This filler mini-arc is exactly just like the beginning of the Battle Frontier arc after the Battle Factory, pure filler.

I like it that basically, Pikachu and Meowth's worst nightmare was Pokémon turning into Digimon (they talk, can devolve, shout out their attacks, etc.)

Does anyone notice that flame......????
IT LOOKS LIKE PUNI-CHAN IS TERRORIZED BY TEAM FLARE'S PYROAR....
yaa.... those flame is similar to pyroar face..!!!:eek:

Please note: The thread is from 8 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom