• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Review S19 EP45: The First Day of the Rest of Your Life!

Momentum

Reaction score
XY138 - Bulbapedia, the community-drive Pokemon encyclopedia

Synopsis: Our heroes are busy planning their futures, but one is having more trouble planning than the others!

Note: Thread created with mod permission. This episode was originally meant to premiere in the US on December 31, 2016, but Canada's Teletoon on Demand service added it early on December 15, 2016. This was likely an accident since the previous episode, XY137, wasn't also available. So if you live in Canada and have access to Teletoon on Demand, you can watch this episode early for free (and in HD!).

Please keep future events in spoiler tags. Thanks!
k5ZL6cK.png

Last edited:
Saw it on demand yesterday and yep, it's as good as I've been told. Serena did a lot to contribute here, especially Ash who helped her in trying to battle. oh yeah, Serena for Hoenn confirmed:D! All in all I give this a 8.5/10 pretty good episode.

Does that count as a loss for Ash XD

Kanto has contests in anime land too, should've sent her there so she could chill with Ash for a bit! met his mum ;). Ah well. Contests are way better than performances but since she has so little battle practice she;ll struggle - probably. Shame we wont see any of it though, unless he gets a cameo in Alola.

Also weird Serena could get something like that set up so quickly. Wonder how much money Sycamore spent on that...

I thought this was a nice episode for Serena. I felt she got some nice character development here in her struggle to decide what she wants to do with her career. The impromptu Showcase was just what the Kalos folks needed to provide them with some respite from all the horrible things they've been through the past weeks.

It was so nice to see her mom show up for an extended bit of a stay and for the two of them to get some bonding time in. It's a shame we didn't have a few more episodes like that. I think that May and Dawn saw their moms in various episodes more than Serena has.

Ash was just so sweet throughout this episode keeping her with him and talking to her and trying to help her even though she wasn't being very talkative about what it was that was bothering her. I thought the battle idea was a nice one. And his speech to her about remembering that it's your Pokémon that you travel with every day, and battle with, and grow with, that they are always by your side to support you. I did think, though, that Braixen would finally evolve here, but, nope.

It's a shame that when TPTB were building the XY game and the writers were working on ideas for the show that they didn't just keep Contests in the mix. I never cared much for the Showcases, to be honest. They were just too stereotypical of 'this is how girls prove their worth'. Bleah.... In contests you have girls and boys vying to prove their worth..... as a contest coordinator. And that's besides the point that boys can be performers, too (or entertainers, if you will). It wasn't necessary to make the Showcase idea so lopsided, genderwise. I don't know why they thought that was a good idea.

In ending, I'm glad they spent some time giving Shauna & Co. a decent send off instead of just mentioning them in passing, or simply not showing them at all. And that moment between Sawyer & Ash was nice as well. I thought Sawyer was a pretty good rival for Ash this series.

So not too much, action wise, going on in this episode, just a nice quiet sort of one. But I found it to be rather enjoyable just the same.

So not only did XY138 leak on Canada's Teletoon on Demand over two weeks ago, it also officially aired on Teletoon today. So unless Cartoon Network airs two new episodes next week, it looks like Canada will be one week ahead in terms of premieres.

In other related news, Canada finally got the sneak peek of Sun and Moon.

First of all, happy New Year, my friends on bulbagarden!

What an inspirational and encouraging episode! Lots of things that were said today were really motivating if you want to begin something new, so it's really the perfect episode to start a new year with!

Though I think it wasn't such a good idea for Serena to turn down Palermo's exclusive offer. I mean, sure, I understand her reasons why she's wants to grow and mature, however, getting trained by such an obvious expert doesn't automatically make her dependent (as Serena put it). Why not go and learn from Palermo for a few months, get great experience and THEN go on a journey on her own? I don't quite it ...

Serena is finally a coordinator!!!! I sure hope she gets a special episode in a contest, heck maybe she could even learn some about contests from Hoenn's greatest coordinator (although I'm not getting my hopes up). This episode was really fun, although I wish the battle with Ash would have been a bit longer.

They had to throw in Ash saying "you could stick with me" to make people go crazy, I was laughing when that happened.

Plus awesome bonus that Shauna pulls a Misty on Tierno!

Yeah, I actually decided to wait for this to air on TV. Could have looked it up online, but nah. Anyway, this was a good episode for Serena. There are a few things I'm not all too happy about, but a good episode none the less.

I like that Serena decided to put on the special Showcase in secret, telling only Sycamore the night before it was to happen. I'm glad Shauna participated, but I guess showing off her other Pokemon that haven't been seen before was out of the question. Seriously, the last time we're ever going to see her, the last Showcase performance we'll ever see which was supposed to be a big blowout to cheer up the residents of Lumiose City...and we only get to see the same old Ivysaur and Flabebe combo we've seen since the beginning. That was probably my biggest disappointment in this episode. I'm not pleased that Jessie joined in, but at least she didn't screw anything up. Serena was amazing though. I was nice to see her performing again. I'd missed that.

I also loved how the crowd got in on the show and started dancing. I lol'd at Clemon't falling onto Noivern and Alain not wanting to dance. But I must say, the huge crowd of non-animated people next to the animated characters was seriously off putting. I'm glad they got to see the rivals off in the end. And nice return of ear pulling. It's been too long:p

Ash and Serena chilling together was nice to see, though I really didn't for how he all of a sudden decided to have a battle after all of that. Then again, it is Ash so I guess I should have expected it. Anyway, the battle was just what I expected so nothing really to say about it. I was surprised by how hard Pikachu was going on Braxien though. He straight up slammed her into the ground, lol.

And now Palermo. I must say that I'm quite disappointed that Serena didn't take her offer to train under her. I can understand her reasoning of not wanting to depend on Palermo too much, but I personally wouldn't think that would be an issue. I mean, we've seen time and time again that Palermo is not someone who coddles her proteges and makes them work for what they want. But I guess she should do what she feels is best. I hope that going to Hoenn and trying Contests will give her more ideas of what to do with Showcases. I just desperately hope she doesn't decide to become a Coordinator. I'd be really annoyed if she gave up the first career she fell in love with just to become yet another Coordiantor:/ But I guess only the future will tell. I did love the bit where Palermo said she was Serena's fan. That was cute:)

Overall, a nice pre-finale for Serena. 9/10.

Aww... this episode is so cute. Ash and Serena's interactions, Serena's and Palermo's interactions, Alain and Mairin's interactions, Serena and Grace's interactions, Clemont and Bonn..-okay, I think I'll stop!

Serena's idea of performing, to get the audience moving and forget the treacherous incident, was brilliantly thought and brilliantly planned by Sycamore. I like how Aria's advice from waaaayy...back is the theme of this episode. When you consider that such advice(s) are such usually thrown under the table in the anime, the fact that Aria's advice was actually rendered meaningful just is pretty satisfying.

Aww...Alain, you don't like to dance. Same here, dude! :p:p I like how Chespie clanged on his foot to make him dance. So cute! :X3:Also, same here, dude!

Grace recognizing Serena's confidence was the highlight of the episode for me. I did not realize that the writers would incorporate that plot theme into this episode as well. (y)

Wow, Shauna, why so brutal with the ear-pulling, gal?!

Ash and Serena chilling together was so cute to see. Serena must be having a hell of a time wandering the streets with him. Nah, not really! Okay, Ash, I am with you on this one. I play my games and battle in the Battle Facilities to lift me up as well in situations of gloom, so yeah... Though, yet another incomplete battle for Serena...AAHHH! Okay, I'll give it to them this time. There were more important things in this episode than the battle.

I actually like Palermo's advice for Serena to go to the Hoenn region. Reason: even though it has nothing to do with Performing, and it might not be very helpful, but participating in Contests would actually hone her battling skills as well, along with her appealing skills, thus would constitute to an overall better development, which I would totally appreciate.

Aww...poor Chespin does not want Serena to leave! CUTE! :cry::cry::cry:

FIRST LUXRAY SINGING, NOW DANCING! MY LIFE IS COMPLETE!
198.jpg

236.jpg

:X3::X3::X3::X3::X3::X3::X3::cry::cry::cry::cry::love::love::love::love::love::love:

Please note: The thread is from 7 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom