• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Review SM039: Mao Runs Away from Home and Yareyuutan!

It lacks some development, a meh episode. The only thing was funny was the scene with Bewear and Oranguru.

Last edited:
Was that Gumshoos and Reporter Lady the same ones from SM 9/10 and 13?

Was that Gumshoos and Reporter Lady the same ones from SM 9/10 and 13?
Yes. That Gumshoos is the Totem one, and that announcer is that woman that was seen riding on a Magnezone in SM013 and made a brief cameo in Dugtrio episode. Moreover, Ash once again didn't have a major role in this episode, but instead, a minor role.

I actually liked this episode. I wish last week's episode had less Ash like this one.

This ep made me realize why Mallow isn't one of the more popular characters and honestly made me love her even more. The thing is...Mallow is just a normal human with normal human problems which is rare in the anime. That makes her, in my opinion, more relatable.

Now for the episode. The Bewear costumes!!! After last week's tease, we got to see them.
Coming into seeing the episode, I was expecting Oranguru to join the team, but as the episode went on, Oranguru getting caught made no sense. Oranguru was portrayed more like a human than an actual Pokemon. His scenes with Mallow and then the flashbacks with Mallow's dad make Oranguru some sort of a wise figure of the forest rather than a pokemon with a passion for making cocktails. It would've been extremely wrong if Mallow got to capture such Pokemon.
The Bewear Oranguru scene made me think Oranguru would join the team for the sake of the rivalry, but it ended up being a friendly product exchange business. No doubt Oranguru will make future appearances.

Shoutout to Steenee for being an amazing partner Pokemon.

And also, Nurse Joy and Officer Jenny friends goals confirmed!

Last edited:
Weak episode imo. I was half-expecting Mallow to catch Oranguru given she's the only character (sans Lana) who has yet to catch anything, but nope. Considering how scarce her focus has been I really doubt she's getting more than Bounsweet evolving any time soon.

Oranguru is probably going to share a status as the Toucannon in SM004 seeing how its more of a stationary pokemon. Oranguru's Instruct antics were pretty fun too.

Bewear was one of the best and funniest parts of the episode.

7/10

Seeing as Bewear and Oranguru didn't fight. I have a feeling they know each other and like to trade Honey and Pinap Juice.

Bewear and Orangruru's unbelievably hilarious moment between each other nearly made this episode for me.
Otherwise it was okay but rather sub par for the most part.

Also that fingermoving animation, top notch stuff from Iwane eh?
*Crickets sound*
Eh?

Thus Mallow continues her journey as still the most uninteresting character in the S&M series so far.
Shame really...

Bewear and Orangruru's unbelievably hilarious moment between each other nearly made this episode for me.
Otherwise it was okay but rather sub par for the most part.

Also that fingermoving animation, top notch stuff from Iwane eh?
*Crickets sound*
Eh?

Thus Mallow continues her journey as still the most uninteresting character in the S&M series so far.
Shame really...
Shame on the staff who couldn't develop Mallow a bit. That's because she, Lillie, and Sophocles didn't have any good development which go to a status of uninterested characters in S/M Series. In other words, unpopular. But in my opinion, Lana and Kiawe are the most interesting characters out of those three which got some development and really fit their personalities puurrfectly! These two are more popular than those three students. I also like Jessie calling Mallow as a green twerp girl.

tumblr_ov7jbjVeNo1ro37quo1_540.png

This was genuinely one of the funniest gags in this series. ̶a̶l̶s̶o̶ ̶c̶o̶n̶f̶i̶r̶m̶e̶d̶ ̶g̶i̶r̶l̶f̶r̶i̶e̶n̶d̶s̶

Also is it me or were there a lot of those pre-XY colored backgrounds during the battle towards the end of the episode?

I expected that this episode would bore me, and that's just what happened. Mallow's episodes rarely have anything interesting going on and this one was no exception.It doesn't help that Mallow is just a really bland character to me and in fact, this episode probably made me dislike her more. I guess she was upset at being overworked, and I can understand that, but running out on her dad like that was incredibly immature. Surely she could have just asked him for help. I personally just couldn't feel sympathetic towards her, thus this episode was totally un-interesting for me.

However, I ill say that this episode did make me gain a bit of a fondness for Oranguru, a Pokemon I previously didn't really care about. I like how it basically ran a functioning bar by itself in a forest. That's a nice nod to the fact that the games make note of it taking part in human activities like using Poke Balls. I also thought the part where it gave Bewear a drink in exchange for fruit was really cute.

But overall, I can't say I liked this episode or that I'd ever watch it again. Oranguru's presence and likable character was the only thing I enjoyed. 3/10.

1503570958287.png
Pretty much sums up Mallow's entire role in this series.

I can't believe you all found this episode boring! This was one of the stronger episodes in SM as far as I'm concerned!

If I've said it once, I've said it 39 times, this series is at its best when it takes some time to explore the small things in the characters' lives. We got a neat little insight into 3 different groups in this episode:

1. Finally an episode about Mao, by Mao! She had been the blandest of the companions till this, but finally I feel like I have an insight into what makes her tick. I have admit I didn't catch everything she said (I watched the episode whilst wolfing down my lunch with my bleep going off 20x a minute...) but a young girl helping out at her Dad's restaurant, finding it hard and feeling underappreciated, is SO relatable! I liked that even when the plate broke she was kind to Amamaiko, I loved her ranting (?drunkenly lol) at Yareyutan's bar, her straightford chat + battling with the Rockets and her breaking down when her dad said how proud he was.

2. It was unsuprisingly super fun to see what the TRio have been getting up to. They are such self-starters, if only they'd leave the Rocket-dan they'd be able to have such a happy and quiet life! Kojiro burning his mouth was so cute and Musashi getting pissed at Amakaji's "idol" status was, well
tumblr_ov6rd1szmt1s3at53o7_1280.jpg

Emulating this scene can never be wrong:
giphy-facebook_s.jpg
The whole battle with them vs Mao and was great fun, best bits were Nyasu and Hidoide turning on Musashi (and Kojiro's "oh shit" voice chasing after them!) and of course Kiteruguma's exchange, so fudging adorable thst bear is!

3. Joy and "Jun-chan" - AWW. See, even the functionary clones in Alola have personalities and relationships which matter!

The episode once again benefitted hugely from minimal input from Satoshi .co. Long may it continue like this. Like Maamane's moving away story, telling the story actually from the other character's viewpoint rather than Satoshi's is IMO what made it a strong episode.
I guess she was upset at being overworked, and I can understand that, but running out on her dad like that was incredibly immature.
SHE'S 10 YEARS OLD!!!

(Might have more to add if I ever get a chance to rewatch the episode, but as I have't even managed to do so for last week...)

I expected that this episode would bore me, and that's just what happened. Mallow's episodes rarely have anything interesting going on and this one was no exception.It doesn't help that Mallow is just a really bland character to me and in fact, this episode probably made me dislike her more. I guess she was upset at being overworked, and I can understand that, but running out on her dad like that was incredibly immature. Surely she could have just asked him for help. I personally just couldn't feel sympathetic towards her, thus this episode was totally un-interesting for me.

However, I ill say that this episode did make me gain a bit of a fondness for Oranguru, a Pokemon I previously didn't really care about. I like how it basically ran a functioning bar by itself in a forest. That's a nice nod to the fact that the games make note of it taking part in human activities like using Poke Balls. I also thought the part where it gave Bewear a drink in exchange for fruit was really cute.

But overall, I can't say I liked this episode or that I'd ever watch it again. Oranguru's presence and likable character was the only thing I enjoyed. 3/10.
The summary mentioned about her and her father fighting with each other, but this kind of thing didn't happen for real. Anyway, Ash played a minor role here, he only appeared a few times while Mallow took the entire spotlight and he turned into a Moai statue. Do not worry, Lana's next episode about Z-move performance and Brionne is going to be great, I swear. Because she is the most popular SM character out of Lillie, Sophocles and Mallow, and Kiawe being popular as well.

Forgot to say this earlier but this is probably the most "Iwane"-looking episode in this series thus far. It's especially noticeable in how characters like Mao and Musashi were drawn.

The episode once again benefitted hugely from minimal input from Satoshi .co. Long may it continue like this. Like Maamane's moving away story, telling the story actually from the other character's viewpoint rather than Satoshi's is IMO what made it a strong episode.

It's almost like at this point Satoshi's character has been spun around so much and contorted to fit the tone of each new series making him a hollow shell of a character and the franchise would be better off without him :p

(Im only 3/4 of the way kidding)

There's few things I like more than a thorough pummeling for TR, especially when they act like jerks and particularly when they make those Backpfeifengesichter (it's a word, it means "aface badly in need of a fist", which no one pulls it off better than Jessie), so on that front, this episode satisfied that part. Now as for Mao, her character still needs some improvement, but this episode is definitely in right direction. No one likes it when their hard work is unappreciated. Bonus points for the PG equivalent of bars where you can dish out your sorrows.

Ehh...forced conflict is forced. Not to mention it's out of character for Mao to abandon her father in an important day like that and run into forest because of something that way too unimportant and came out of nowhere. For an episode that supposed to be about Mao and her father's fight, they barely talk to each other.

Would've been cooler if those drinks had actually sent Mallow on a full-blown Simpsons Movie-style epiphany that made her realize how much her father really does love her, but I doubt they could've gotten away with it on a kid's show like this. :p

Please note: The thread is from 6 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom