• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Review S20 EP39: Mallow and the Forest Teacher!

Reaction score
Already aired on Watch Disney XD

Who's That Pokemon!?:

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NrYjBt-ITF8&feature=youtu.be

Pokedex Entry (Technically):

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gZdTY9rzPJU&feature=youtu.be

Cast List:
Sarah Natochenny
Laurie Hymes
Jessica Paquet
Rosie Reyes
Alyson Leigh Rosenfeld
Marc Swint
Rodger Parsons
Kate Bristol
Roger Callagy
Carter Cathcart
Abe Goldfarb
Melissa Hope
Emily Jenness
Michele Knotz
Eddy Lee
Michael Liscio Jr.
Samantha Moon
Suzy Myers
Scottie Ray
Sean Reyes
Erica Schroeder
Eileen Stevens
Billy Bob Thompson

Eddy Lee? I wonder whom he voiced. Oranguru, the Cameraman, Abe? Was he credited in SM018? Maybe Scottie Ray did voiced one of those.

Found this to be quite a funny episode, and slightly more adult at the same time, hanging out at a bar, Mallow drowning her sorrows (saying that in a fun way)

Nice character touches from Officer Jenny and Nurse Joy, especially at the end referring to Gumshoos and Comfey lol

Jessica Paquet did a good job as Mallow this week

Pointless as this episode probably will be in the long, long run of the anime, I still managed to like it. It also reaffirmed my love for Mallow as a character. Sure, she's not as memorably quirky as the rest of the class, but I feel like people don't give her enough credit as a character. Especially here where she's rather relatable.

The thing that really stuck out to me in this episode though is how even more dim-witted than usual Team Rocket came off as. Instead of realizing that they scared off the reporters by being a bunch of camera hogs, they instead blame it on the lack of a "mascot" – while decked out in Bewear digs. Although the Bewear/Oranguru moment was hilarious, and the battle wasn't a waste of time (it helped Mallow regain her confidence in herself) the whole premise behind it felt really, really stupid.

And while I'm inclined to agree with the majority opinion that Mallow should've caught Oranguru, I really don't mind as long as we see the guy a few more times again. He was a nice spin on the old mentor archetype.

I expected a "Mallow is leaving early so you can all leave early" thing. Since when does Kukui care about class this much?!

Cute aprons I guess.

That Psyduck and Slowpoke moment was really funny. and it does seem like a bad idea to set up a food truck right outside a restaurant but I guess they could be a dessert truck but ehhh, the proof is in the pudding and they aint selling any.

My first thought on the reporter was that she looked like an older Dawn and then she has her voice actor (I think) lol.

Her Dad IS being hella rude. Imagine if she hadn't been left off school lol, then he'd be screwed I guess. Plus why is he relying on an 11 year old girl when he should have actual paid staff? Mallow was the only one in that kitchen cooking, seems like the child labour laws should get involved tbh. Plus you can't pay a Pokemon. Hmmm, he's probably dodging tax too.

A talking Meowth seems like it'd be a good mascot to me.

That Oranguru could do anything it wants to Mallow. Such as feed her snacks and such. Still though she went a bit overboard on that falling down. Almost as bad as football players. Almost. and lol, he let Ash and friends out early anyway...

Oranguru acting like a human and lives in a house. Weird tbqh. Also I wouldn't trust a drink made by any Pokemon tbh. Too sus. She didn't even see it get made so was just trusting him.

Ash, send Lycanrok to find her, what you playing it? just use something from her room then send your dog who is good at tracking...?

Aw I wanted to see a badass fight between Bewear and Oranguru.

I mean even if they've made up, he's still having an 11 year old do literally everything whist not hiring any staff. hmmmmmmmm.

At least Oranguru is a nice guy. Shame he can't talk like Meowth, oh the secrets he would know. He could ruin the town.

Okay episode I guess. Nothing special.

I really like Mallow, so I liked this episode. It was nice to get a closer look at her relationship with her dad, and I felt the episode had a really nice message on both ends (the importance of showing appreciation as well as saying you're sorry.)

It was cool to see an episode where the other characters appear very minimally. I love them all, but I really liked getting to have the focus really placed on just one character out of the group.

The scene with Bewear and Oranguru was just as funny as it was in the original airing.

Only thing I wasn't thrilled with was the Team Rocket stealing Steenee scene. They've been doing a good job varying Team Rocket's appearances this series, but that one just felt like the usual rehash. It didn't add anything to the episode.

I expected that this episode would bore me, and that's just what happened. Mallow's episodes rarely have anything interesting going on and this one was no exception.It doesn't help that Mallow is just a really bland character to me and in fact, this episode probably made me dislike her more. I get that she was upset at being overworked, and I can understand that, but running out on her dad like that was incredibly immature. She looks to be at least 13 years old, she's not a damn little kid. She could have just done the mature thing and asked him for help, but instead ran out because *gasp* he didn't tell her thank you. Sorry girl, but when you're working on a job, not everyone is gonna tell you thank you, even if you're busting your ass by yourself. I personally just couldn't feel sympathetic towards her, thus this episode was totally un-interesting for me.

However, I ill say that this episode did make me gain a bit of a fondness for Oranguru, a Pokemon I previously didn't really care about. I like how it basically ran a functioning bar by itself in a forest. That's a nice nod to the fact that the games make note of it taking part in human activities like using Poke Balls. I also thought the part where it gave Bewear a drink in exchange for fruit was really cute.

But overall, I can't say I liked this episode or that I'd ever watch it again. Oranguru's presence and likable character was the only thing I enjoyed. 3/10.

I still think it's Out of Character for Mallow to abandon her father like that.

Please note: The thread is from 6 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom