• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Review SM051: Lively Lilie! A Determined Runaway!!

Not that I saw which makes a nice change

Seeing all these episodes makes me really look forward to the dub and finding out who voices who
I rewatched it and there was no dairy scene at all, instead a recap of the previous episode of Lusamine being captured by an UB.

Episode was decent, one thing it surely did well was cut down on the excess of jokes and kept it in a more serious setting which was fitting for the situations being faced. One of the biggest flaws for me was one minute skipping rope and the next spearing Faba in the last episode and I'm glad the change in tone was not as drastic this time around. Other than that it was a dialogue heavy episode but most of it was easy to understand from what the characters seemed to worry about at the time.

I liked this episode and especially that route music (i don't remember which route) it was nice to have a focus on lily and gladion. I probably would have liked it mire if i understood the dialogue if lilly's development was good.
This also reminded me of how small cosmoem is BUT ASH CAN STILL CARRY THIS 999.99 KG THING

So, no one's going to mention the music change?
PkmnTrainerV said:
Why not just wait for the episode's reasoning for the change before beginning to question it?
So... I waited for their explanation for Lilie's Z form, and... there's nothing, I guess? Apparently she didn't even cut her hair after all. Weird.
Johtohfiller said:
It's still symbolizing a turning point for her. She's gotta be the heroine now.
Well, so much for that...
I rewatched it and there was no dairy scene at all, instead a recap of the previous episode of Lusamine being captured by an UB.
She still narrated it though.

Last edited:
This is a great build up episode and it starts right where the last episode ends. I like that all of Ash's friends in Alola is involved in this, not just Ash, Lillie, and Gladion. Did anyone else noticed that Ash just picked up Nebby after it became Cosmoem? It weighs 2204.4 lbs (999.9 kg) and he picked it up carried it, and Pikachu held it like it's lighter then air.

Seeing the latter half of this episode made me upset at how underused the Totem Pokemon are in this series. By this point, we have interacted with 5 of them, but are just now getting their animated battle theme. That's four previous opportunities where it could have been played, to make their appearances that much more substantial. Secondly, most of the Totem Battles have been stagnant. Today's battle suffered similarly to the Wishiwashi one-too short, barely any moves used on the Totem's part, and ultimately not too much of a challenge for Gladion and the battle inexperienced Lillie. Pokemon who shouldn't be OP in these circumstances, such as Lana's Popplio and Lillie's Vulpix, suddenly have a huge garrison of plot armor that allows them to incapacitate any foe.

Add to the fact that Ash has only interacted with a grand total of 2 Totems directly to achieve a Z-Crystal (why didn't Konmo-o give Gladion a Z-Crystal?), the interactions feel weak and shallow. Why are they significant again? What's the point?

A shame, given how much I love the Totems and their challenging uniqueness in both sets of Gen 7 games.

Z-Powered Lillie is cool, but I don't think this animation is doing her hair any favors...It looks much better in the games :(

I really enjoyed this episode (though it occurred to me that I completely forgot to watch the previous episode :p). I LOVED seeing Gladion and Lillie team up and go off on their own to try to rescue Lusamine. And Z-Powered Lillie is just as adorable in the anime as she is in the games. I was shocked to see how small Cosmoem was. I legit never knew it was that puny :eek:

It was great seeing Lillie and Gladion take on the Totem Kommo-o (though the battle only made me realize that it's been forever since we've had an Island Trial and Totem battle :( ) But I will say, Gladion skating on the frozen ground from Snowy's Icy /Wind was badass as hell.

I wasn't really a fan of how Ash really didn't seem all too sensitive to Lillie's emotional turmoil. I get that he's always been dense as hell, but this is like a whole new level. I mean, she literally watched her mom get snatched up by a monster that almost killed her personally twice before, and Ash is just over here like "See you at school tomorrow, bye pal". :D Like geez, imagine if that was your mom, Ash. o_O

Anyway, this was overall a nice episode. 9/10 (y)

It was great seeing Lillie and Gladion take on the Totem Kommo-o (though the battle only made me realize that it's been forever since we've had an Island Trial and Totem battle :( ) But I will say, Gladion skating on the frozen ground from Snowy's Icy /Wind was badass as hell.

I wasn't really a fan of how Ash really didn't seem all too sensitive to Lillie's emotional turmoil. I get that he's always been dense as hell, but this is like a whole new level. I mean, she literally watched her mom get snatched up by a monster that almost killed her personally twice before, and Ash is just over here like "See you at school tomorrow, bye pal". :D Like geez, imagine if that was your mom, Ash. o_O

This show is a huge fan of defeating Pokemon by skating on ice, for some reason.

Also, yeah, it irked me as well that Satoshi was just like "Well, bad luck Lillie. Try to cheer up, see you tomorrow". This is the guy who ran into a crystal wasteland when his own mom was kidnapped by a Legendary Pokemon so to see him so dismissive of it was weird.

Also, I couldn't help but chuckle at seeing Satoshi (and later Pikachu) just casually picking up Hoshigumo-chan. Sorry Cosmovum, your massive weight is no match for anime physics.

He doesn't need to imagine it because it happened in the third movie. Not that SM Ash is even remotely like OS Ash on an emotional level.
Yes he is, otherwise he wouldn't have tried to cheer Lillie up in SM049 and attack Faba for what he did in Sm050.

Please note: The thread is from 6 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom