• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Review S21 EP03: Deceiving Appearances!

Confirmed Roles
Sarah Natochenny: Ash
Laurie Hymes: Lillie
Jessica Paquet: Mallow
Rosie Reyes: Lana
Alyson Leigh Rosenfeld: Sophocles, Steenee
Marc Swint: Kiawe
Rodger Parsons (does the narrator feature this episode)
Kate Bristol: Togedemaru
Roger Callagy: Rowlet, Rotom
Carter Cathcart: James, Meowth
Daniel J Edwards
Bobbi Hartley
Melissa Hope
Emily Jenness: Snowy
Riley Joseph
Michele Knotz: Jessie
Ryan Nicolls
Lisa Ortiz
Haven Paschall
Erica Schroeder: Wobbuffet
Eileen Stevens: Popplio
Marc Thompson

Likely Roles
Daniel J Edwards: Faba
Michele Knotz: Ditto
Carter Cathcart: Munchlax, Quagsire

Lmao I had to double check for a moment there. They literally started two episodes in a row with the same stock footage of Lille writing in her diary? I thought they had screwed up and uploaded the same episode twice until I skipped into the middle to see what was going on.

All I'm thinking now is that doesn't the school have other kids? harsh to only invite the main characters. I think having generic people in the background "going too" would make it seem more alive.

Aether look after Pokemon but try to murder Rowlett. Heh, foreshadowing hehehehehehhe. I'm SURE they're not secretly evil. The name of the episode is clearly no indication either.

Faba hiring Team Rocket. Not suspicious at all. Next he'll be hiring Team Skull. Nah, they're too good to EVER do something like THAT. Plus, Skull sux, they're gonna go get those guys from Japan and that one guy from France instead.

I always question when someone has a mobile phone because Ash is too stupid to ever buy one. Imagine how much easier his life would be if he used his prize money to get one?

Lusamine's hair is even more ridiculous in the anime than the games. ...wait, I'm supposed to pretend to be unaware of the two year old games this is based on that literally everyone who sees this will have played.

Wickie with a wink. Maybe she's the only evil member?!

Kinaa harsh to tap all the Dittos. Let them roam free too. Then again they do try and take over the world by being humans in USUM. Eh worth it. I accept our new Ditto overlords. Maybe I'M a Ditto and just don't know?

"who's that pokemon?" I'm gonna guess... a Zorua using illusion. ...crap I was wrong!

Pokemon poop. It's canon now. Where do we have them poo in games?

"is it a mirror?" - the entire cast are idiots. They literally just said it can be anything lmao.

Ash should've known about the Ditto eye thing lol. Though wasn't that exclusive to only Duplica? and dammit Ash you also know what Quagsire looks like lol.

Proto Koffing best thief.

They didn't show the eyes of ANY of the Pokemon returning to the kids. One of these will be a Ditto. Snowy it is.

And now Dittos are in cages. How nice of these totally not evil guys.

Lillie's such a tsun to her mum. Not like Ash's Mum does the same lol.

Faba being evil huh? shocker.

Day 3 of the marathon and I was feeling meh on this one. Great to see Ditto back after how many seasons? Faba clearly is the Villian this time around and even was bossing around team rocket a bit, and possibly the best thing about this episode the shot of Lillie looking so smug with that wintery background. Also, don't think I mentioned this but, the Narrator isn't here neither in this and yesterday's episode.... I guess this Lillie's diary segment is supposed to be our new thing for this season. Wonder how long this will last for? I'll give this an 7/10. Apparently tomorrow's episode is supposed to be a lot more "Dramatic" this time around, so let's see on that.

Day 3 of the marathon and I was feeling meh on this one. Great to see Ditto back after how many seasons? Faba clearly is the Villian this time around and even was bossing around team rocket a bit, and possibly the best thing about this episode the shot of Lillie looking so smug with that wintery background. Also, don't think I mentioned this but, the Narrator isn't here neither in this and yesterday's episode.... I guess this Lillie's diary segment is supposed to be our new thing for this season. Wonder how long this will last for? I'll give this an 7/10. Apparently tomorrow's episode is supposed to be a lot more "Dramatic" this time around, so let's see on that.
Honestly, Lillie took Narrator's position for episodes SM045-SM055. That's why we don't hear that "As the journey begins!" at the end.

Lillie starting off the episode writing in her diary and recapping what happened the episode before is a cute touch, but man do they love that specific footage. I know the show doesn't have an endless budget, but seeing the exact same scene two episodes in a row is...off putting.

Faba chucking Rowlet was so nasty but so funny at the same time? Also, Ash shrugged it off way too quick. Like I know he's a pretty happy-go-lucky guy, but he loves his Pokémon more than anything and one just got straight thrown by a weird man.

Also, oddly enough, I feel more sympathetic towards Lusamine and less towards Lillie in the dub than I did in the original. I mean yeah, it's still obnoxious that Lusamine invited her daughter and her friends to Aether Paradise and then spends most of the time answering phones, but she did seem genuinely interested in Lillie's schoolwork and all of that and Lillie just freaked out on her. I felt differently with the Japanese airing, so I feel like maybe it just wound up translating differently in the dub?

The Ditto subplot was kind of pointless, but I didn't totally hate it. The sounds they make when getting the shots made it worth it, even though they weren't as good as the Japanese version either. But it was still enough to make me laugh. I do kind of hate that "Ditto face when it transforms" has apparently become the norm, though. That was like a fun thing they had with Duplica and now apparently it's just common. So that's pretty lame.

Team Rocket finding the papers on Type: Null felt way less ominous than in the original. I guess it could be because I knew it was coming, but the overall tone of the scene just felt weaker. Like it wasn't as creepy, especially on Faba's part. Their laughs at the end were just...bad.

This was the weakest episode of the marathon so far. I still enjoyed it, just not as much as the first two.

• So an opening with Lillie writing in her diary is going to be a regular thing for this arc. I appreciate them trying something new, but there’s a nostalgic quality to the usual narrator she just can’t match. Not to mention they’re not even bothering to mix up the animation.
  • As if Faba wasn’t obviously evil enough, they made him kick a certain fan-favorite backpack owl to the curb. All he needs now is a mustache to twirl.
  • Pokémon get vaccines. And produce waste, apparently. I know it could be assumed already but as far as I know we’ve been spared explicit discussion of the less sanitary aspects of them until now.
  • Y’know, I kind of wish they left the gag face exclusive to Duplica’s Ditto instead of reusing it whenever they need to be told apart. That Quagsire scene was pretty clever, though.
  • More in-family feuding. I don’t expect them to get along perfectly or anything but I’m wary at best of it seemingly happening purely for comedy instead of them genuinely trying to overcome it.
  • Overall a very meh episode, at least compared to the first two. The only real positive standouts IMO were Lillie’s ice queen stare and the scene with Team Rocket and Faba at the end.

I enjoyed this episode it quite a bit. I liked the beginning bit where Snowy was sleeping with Lillie's PokeDoll. I'm also glad that Lillie was writing about Nebby in a journal, similar to the games. Now let's just have her interact with Nebby more. :D

Glad we finally got to see the Aether Foundation. LMAO at Faba so desperately trying to get to Nebby. I lol'd when he tossed the bird and then shrugged it off like it was nothing. , I love Faba in the show. :D

I do not love the fact that TR is working in the Aether Foundation, however. They already had them interfere with Team Skull for no reason, now they're shoving them into the damn Aether Foundation for no reason. Geez writers, stop ruining the best elements of Sun and Moon by throwing TR into them.

I died laughing at Lillie scaring Sophocles. Girl can be fierce when she wants to. The part where Steenee was hanging out with those Bounsweet was really cute, as was Burnet's Munchlax eating the seaweed that was stuck to their bodies when they emerged from the water.

Holy crap it's a STUFFUL. This episode is amazing. :p

It was nice that they actually divided the episode so that we could focus on Aether, then do the funny shenanigans with Ditto. And speaking of Ditto, I thought their reactions to getting their shots were so funny. And LOL at Ash tackling the Ditto Snowy.

So overall,this episode had a lot of great moments. The only thing I didn't like (aside from TR) was honestly Nebby. He was just a gag to teleport and steal food which never amounted to anything. It seemed so pointless. He literally may as well have just stayed in Ash's bag the entire episode. I'm also pretty stunned that no one on the cast ever noticed that he was missing... I'll give this episode a 7/10. I was pleasantly surprised at how enjoyable it was.

Oh so, we visit the Aether Paradise here. That's great.

Cosmog evading Faba like that was hilarious. Though, damn you, Faba; that Rowlet throw was so unwarranted. (n)

Glad that Team Rocket finally got a decent job to cater to their financial needs. :p

Lusamine's mansion... Ah, the game memories. :love:

Poor Lillie. She clearly wants her mother to focus some attention on her. :coffee:

Her stare though...

It was lovely to see the Conservation area. I liked how Lana pointed out how natural the place seemed, despite being in the interior.

Aww... Steenee and the Bounsweet were so cute. :X3::love::X3:

The Ditto sub-plot was pretty interesting, to say. Hmm... Dots as eyes. But I thought that was just a Duplica's Ditto gimmick. The characters take it as fairly obvious though, so I guess not.

Damn, Ash jumping onto the transformed Ditto.

Aww, if isn't it clear how much Lillie cares about her mother as well. :X3:

So, Team Rocket gets to know about Type: Null and the Ultra Beasts as well. That's awesome! :cool: Wonder what role the trio plays in the climax of this arc.

Wonder what memory Faba'as talking about...

A cold ending?! *shrieks in excitement* :X3::cool:

This was a decent episode, and the ending in particular was beautiful and gracious. I'll give this a 9.5/10.

Please note: The thread is from 5 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom