• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

25th Anniversary of Pokemon

PurplePopplio

Gone again for who knows how long. :/
Reaction score
Pronouns
  1. Any
This might be a bit early. But hey, the Sinnoh remake thread started in 2014.

So, what are your expectations for this 25th Anniversary? Will we see Kanto, nothing but Kanto? Will Johto make an appearance? Will Pikachu and Eevee get even more merch? Will it be something completely different?

I think that due to the 25th being a giant anniversary, next year will be a gap year to prepare for 2021.

Game Freak won't miss the opportunity to shove even more Kanto down our throats.

I also feel that the Wild Area might be the beginning of something big, otherwise, why spend so much time on it. So I think that we might see a big open world game that fuses Kanto and Johto into one region.

Don't ask why but I'm getting a feeling you might have something against Kanto... ;)

Please don't hate Kanto and its pokemon. Hate gamefreak. They're the ones who can't figure out how to not start at #001 every time they decided to run down the list to pick pokemon to give stupid gimmicks to. Bulbasaur to Mew don't deserve to be hated for their creators stupid decisions.

But on anniversary things it makes sense (to me at least) to give the first 151 attention. The franchise wouldn't exist without them, after all. Doing it every time on the other hand.. yeah no, Gamefreak. Many office spiders upon you.

Of course Pikachu and Eevee will be getting more merchandise. They're the mascots. I'm just happy its not just that stupid rat that's getting all the love anymore.

Let's Go Johto would make the most sense to me, but it should be quite different than LGPE. For instance, they could allow both catching methods, possibly combining them (like with the stationary Pokemon in LGPE, which do battle). They could include tag battles with famous characters to tie into Masters (allowing your partners from Masters to be carried over). They could have a feature where your data in Sleep (your dreams, in a sense) would affect the game somehow, like having a rare Pokemon appear out of the blue (see Dream World) or unlocking an event.

LGPE have their flaws, but I think that many fans never gave them a chance simply because of how they were advertised as especially casual and only featured the original Pokemon (and a random mythical line). Those aspects can be dropped.

The games certainly don't need to be remakes, but past experience tells me that I shouldn't expect a new story. There could be more AU differences this time around.

Last edited:
That moment when you realize it's just 16 months away. :lapras:

I expect merchandise, tie-ins in other games and maybe anime stuff, but not much in terms of main series games. They'll be very busy with the next set of Gen 8 games, and you can't really celebrate anniversaries all the time or they would lose their value.

There is no need to celebrate the 25th anniversary when they celebrated the 20th anniversary anyways. Besides, whenever Game Freak celebrates Pokemon anniversaries, they do it on every 10th anniversary, not every 5th.

Last edited:
There is no need to celebrate the 25th anniversary when they celebrated the 20th anniversary anyways. Besides, whenever Game Freak celebrates Pokemon anniversaries, they do it on every 10th anniversary, not every 5th.
The 25th Anniversary is usually a big one. This would mean that Pokemon would be in existence for a quarter of a century.

Japan don't usually celebrate X5 anniversaries...

That said, I wouldn't mind an updated LGPE with abilities, held items and (at the very least, just cross gen evolutions) returned since I didn't get LGPE. Though maybe a whole new game set in Kanto (i.e. completely different story and new pokemon and gyms etc) would be better.

SwSh with the removed features returned works as well too.

The 25th Anniversary is usually a big one. This would mean that Pokemon would be in existence for a quarter of a century.
There wasn't an anniversary for the 15th, if there wasn't one for that, then one for the 25th won't happen. All Japanese video-game developers know not to celebrate anniversaries often.

If anything, and I mean anything....they'll probably just release event exclusive pokemon...which will probably make people even angrier because much like all the special Pikachu, they'll probably only be able to be traded within Gen VIII. Like "here's a special event Eevee with a spikey ear!" or something.

Didn't we have, like, nearly 5 years of celebrating the 20th anniversary?

2 to 3 years before the 20th anniversary: It will be the 20th anniversary soon! throws confetti
2 to 3 years after the 20th anniversary: Celebrating 20(+) years of pokemon! throws confetti

Aside from maybe some Sinnoh pokemon related events, I don't really see huge celebrations for the 25th anniversary.

i just want an anime special and a cute switch spin-off game celebrating the occasion. i'm not going to get into the whole categorization of LGPE, but Pokken Tournament, regardless of how one really felt about it, really introduced a new type of feel into Pokemon (even if it could've been done better).

there's also the reason why Pokemon Conquest was so fondly remembered -- it was unique and introduced a new concept that wasn't really seen as far as Pokemon gaming goes, so some people really enjoyed it. i think something like that would go a long way.

Please note: The thread is from 4 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom