• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Pokemon Ranger 2 for DS

FireEmblemPride

Reaction score
6kpympx.jpg

7x8qhbs.jpg

Thanks to king zell @ NeoGAF who posted it before anyone else in the west.

Looks about a million times more awesome than the last game...

Bottom of the last scan looks like manga...will this be getting a manga too I wonder?

I wonder what's up with the Dragonite at the corner?

I think the Dragonite is irrelevant. :p
Anyway, finally came up! I wonder what the pages say... :p
Although I'm not sure, I think the name is BATONERJI or something...
I guess we have to wait until further translations come up.
By the way. We all see the WiFi logo, no? What could WiFi be used for... :D

I'm both happy and sad
happy that Pokemon Ranger got a remake
sad because Hinata isn't in it ;_; she was my hero!
then again, I could always hack her in........

the new rangers look boring IMO and too young. Brown hair cant compare to the sheer awesomeness of turquoise hair. Sorry but no.

POKEMON RANGER BUTTONAGE!

Sweet. But it's sad that it takes place in a completely different world. We are going to have a completely new things, new characters etc. Bye, good ole' Fiore. And welcome, Armia Region.

I just hope it's better than the first one, because if it isn't, then I don't want it. >_>

Xin Eohp said:
I just hope it's better than the first one, because if it isn't, then I don't want it. >_>
Mystery Dungeon 2 has already proven that a game can be remade under a new name, added with the latest batch of Pokémon and some minimal features that involve Wi-Fi, and that alone will earn it a release date. I wouldn't hold my breath if I were you; whatever provokes the Pokémon Company to authorize the remaking of games that are only two years old, and for the same system as the original game, it does not seem to be the prospect of improved gameplay.

Ranger 2 even borrows the idea of younger protagonists from XD. The part about XD that is sorely missing from both this game and Mystery Dungeon 2, is the alteration to the predecessor game. XD dispensed with Colosseum's Battle Mode in favor of focusing solely on Story Mode; that alone was proof of Genius Sonority's desire to separate the new game from the old one.

What can be said in this case? The addition of Sinnoh Pokémon? That kind of addition is merely a simple process in which the original Ranger is blended with Diamond and Pearl; it happens to require little to no thought. It would be equally justified to dedicate Ranger 2 to the 173 Pokémon from the previous generations that were not featured in the original game; how innovative would that be?

Last edited:
They change the protagonists in every game, I'm not surprised Hinata and the other guy from the last game aren't returning. They look like they're 10.

Anyway, who wants to bet the female ranger is going to make an appearance in the anime now to advertise this game?

I'm calling Shaymin being obtainable through a special mission in this :p
Remember that Japanese Ranger required the movie promotion (that is, attending an event) in order for the Manaphy egg to be obtained. It was not like the non-Japanese Ranger or European Channel, in which the respective event Pokémon (Manaphy/Jirachi) was made readily available; Japan places importance on the movie promotions (it was because of the Jirachi movie promotion that the Jirachi download option was removed from Japanese Channel).

This game is extremely unlikely to be linked to the Shaymin movie, since Diamond and Pearl are already available (and have been for over a year's time). The only reason that Manaphy was made available through Ranger was that, at the time, there were no games that could accommodate it instead. To use Ranger 2 for the movie promotion would be adding a completely unnecessary, cumbersome and needlesly expensive (Ranger 2 + second DS) intermediate stage between Shaymin's data and the Diamond/Pearl game. The Pokémon Company would only be damaging ticket sales if they decided to do that (the Manaphy movie proved that quite well, and that case was semi-justifiable).

This game is extremely unlikely to be linked to the Shaymin movie, since Diamond and Pearl are already available (and have been for over a year's time). The only reason that Manaphy was made available through Ranger was that, at the time, there were no games that could accommodate it instead.
Nintendo still likes money! :p and I think this also may unlock the Darkrai quest in this game though out of box.

Also though.. I don't see any ware on this that says it's a remake... so I'm confused where everyone is getting that info from.

I see that is says it has all 17 pokemon types to get as a partner pokemon this time, and I see that you play two ranger students... you have quests..

I'm gonna also guess that there is a ranger tournament because the name "Batonargie" sounds like something the Japanese would name a tourney in an Anime. (Unless it is a store where you buy more styler.. lol)

I don't know.:p I wish you could just make your own partner or make friends with a Pokemon and switch partners.. I'll probably get this because it looks interesting, I just don't think I like ranger.

(Because I'm thinking about wanting there to be mysteries in the quest where you have to figure out who did it or how to save someone.. and I wanted to have up to three partner pokemon at a time where you can do battle with them as a ranger (except it is different) The pokemon themselves choose the moves they do and you decide where they should go and if they should defend, help a partner, or attack... And the evil forces you face don't have honor and they attack you trying to break your capture stylus so you need to guard yourself also while trying to break theirs. (Which frees the monster but because they have "evil" stylus or whatever leaves them confused making you have to calm them with your styler)

That would be a ranger I'd want to play... oh and the POLICE COME AND ARREST PERPETRATORS AFTER, lol (I know they don't arrest evil teams in the main games either, but you see more powerful than the police in those games anyways so.. yeah)

I guess I'm thinking of Pokemon Ranger mixed with Detective Conan. How awesome would that be :p

Nintendo still likes money!
That did not prevent the Pokémon Company from having Ambrella remove the Jirachi download option from Japanese Channel. It has become clear that the movie promotions take precedence. Now, using Ranger 2 for the movie promotion would not boost game sales to a noticeable degree, and would instead damage ticket sales.

I should also point out that other than real-life reasons that applied to the first game but not in this case, there is also the matter of Manaphy being in egg form, which cannot be redone with Shaymin. This is important since from a storyline perspective, live Pokémon are not for rangers to possess (unless they are their partners), let alone to give to trainers from another region.

Finally, and more importantly, Diamond and Pearl were especially programmed to receive transmission from the original Ranger that activates the downloading process of the egg; the same was clearly not done for another game or Pokémon. It does not mean that a transfer from a new game is impossible to implement, but does serve as another proof of how circumstances have changed since the last game.

and I think this also may unlock the Darkrai quest in this game though out of box.
I don't see why Darkrai would be included in the boxart if it were limited to an event. The Dragon-type Pokémon seen in the boxart of the original Ranger, were all featured in the normal course of the game.

Also though.. I don't see any ware on this that says it's a remake... so I'm confused where everyone is getting that info from.
It isn't a remake per se, and I would personally not use the term for purposes that are not derogatory. This game is to the original Ranger as Mystery Dungeon Time and Darkness are to Mystery Dungeon Red and Blue, which is as XD is to Colosseum, which is as Card GB 2 is to Card GB, which is as any third game is to its respective main versions. The analogy is derived from sharing the same system, as well as game mechanics and graphics engine.

I argue that only XD actually managed to separate itself from its predecessor - Colosseum. Again, this was done by eliminating Battle Mode and expanding Story Mode. The third games are admittedly not a great deal different from their respective main versions, but the huge success of the main versions dictates that every difference amounts to an appreciable improvement. Now, the spin-off games are another story and I have yet to see anyone explain the need in their sequels; only diehard fans of the original spin-off game express true interest in the sequel, and even they don't go to great lengths to defend their opinion.

Don't confuse this specific category of spin-off sequels (Card GB 2, Mystery Dungeon Time and Darkness, Ranger Batonnage) with another category: Pinball: Ruby and Sapphire (sequel to Pinball) and Channel (sequel to Hey You Pikachu!). The difference lies in the larger time gap, which naturally entails newer consoles. If nothing more, these sequels benefit from appealing to a newer generation of players, rather like the main versions.

Last edited:
They change the protagonists in every game, I'm not surprised Hinata and the other guy from the last game aren't returning. They look like they're 10.

Anyway, who wants to bet the female ranger is going to make an appearance in the anime now to advertise this game?

Well from the things that were posted in the Pokemon news section, it says that it is in a school setting, so maybe they're students?

Does anyone else find it a bit odd that some of the new characters have brown hair? Kengo, Yumomi, the five people on the scan...I just realized that the people in the scan also have the same eyes.

Well, I've never played Pokémon Ranger, but this does look a bit interesting so far.

They're the same people. The two in the ranger uniforms are the same people as the ones in the green suits, and the one at the bottom left of the third scan is the same person in the first scan.

Please note: The thread is from 16 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom