• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Preview SM116: Lilie and the Secret Mechanical Princess!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
Pronouns
  1. He/Him

Adamant said:
Lilie and Gladio are on the lookout for documentation relating to the father Mohn, whom they were told had died. When their mother sees their desperation, she takes them to Mohn's old room, where...

Screenplay 松井亜弥 (Aya Matsui)
Storyboard 関野昌弘 (Masahiro Sekino)
Episode Director 小柴純弥 (Junya Koshiba)
Animation Director 大西雅也 (Masaya Onishi)
Animation Director 高橋優 (Yuh Takahashi)

It's Magearna. I wonder what relationship Mohn has with Magearna.

I really hope it isn't, because that would most likely de-canonize Volcanion and the Mechanical Marvel, which is a good movie (and the only one I actually enjoyed from the XY series) and it really doesn't deserve to be erased from canon (unlike a certain, "surprising" one that deserves to forever be torn into pieces in the Distortion World).

I really hope it isn't, because that would most likely de-canonize Volcanion and the Mechanical Marvel, which is a good movie (and the only one I actually enjoyed from the XY series) and it really doesn't deserve to be erased from canon (unlike a certain, "surprising" one that deserves to forever be torn into pieces in the Distortion World).

De-canonize? Movies have never been canon to the anime to begin with.

Canonically speaking, Ash has never seen Magearna. If if it's in this episode, this will be the first time it's made a canon appearance in the anime.

There's a whole list of Suede mistakes that points out the ones that are quite so canon

Just because the relation between the anime and its movies is open to interpretation, it doesn't mean that they're automatically not canon. The Pokémon movies article on Bulbapedia even states:
Generally, Pokémon movies and long specials have little to no impact on the overall plotline of the anime and fans will argue as to whether or not they are considered true canon. Evidence going either way is sparse, with many details, such as the fact that Ash, Dawn, and Brock having met Dialga and Palkia in The Rise of Darkrai, Giratina and the Sky Warrior, and Arceus and the Jewel of Life going unmentioned when the Legendary Pokémon are seen again in The Battle Finale of Legend!. Other details introduced in movies, such as Ash's Aura abilities as well as Dawn's Lunar Wing, have in fact been referenced by the main anime

Also, another reason why I don't want Magearna to appear in this episode is because, up until now, Ash and the classmates have met 5 Mythical and Legendary Pokémon just this series (and, unlike past cases, these all happened in the main anime, not the movies). And that's not counting Zeraora (since Ash's the only one who met it), Marshadow (since only Rotom saw it), the Tapus (since they seem to show themselves a little more frequently to folks) and Type:Null/Silvally (for obvious reasons), which would bring the number to a whooping 12 mythicals and legendaries. Isn't that a little too much? Do we really need to make it 13? And do we really need to add Magearna (a one-of-a-kind Pokémon who already had its backstory explored in previous movie) to the count?

Also, another reason why I don't want Magearna to appear in this episode is because, up until now, Ash and the classmates have met 5 Mythical and Legendary Pokémon just this series (and, unlike past cases, these all happened in the main anime, not the movies). And that's not counting Zeraora (since Ash's the only one who met it), Marshadow (since only Rotom saw it), the Tapus (since they seem to show themselves a little more frequently to folks) and Type:Null/Silvally (for obvious reasons), which would bring the number to a whooping 12 mythicals and legendaries. Isn't that a little too much? Do we really need to make it 13? And do we really need to add Magearna (a one-of-a-kind Pokémon who already had its backstory explored in previous movie) to the count?

Magearna is a robot so one could build another, and there also hasn't been a release of Original Color Magearna yet. There's really nothing else that the "Mechanical Princess" in the title could refer to.

The plot looks great. Aether family development & setup of future plots are always welcomed. We'll definitely care more about Mohn about this one. I hope that Magearna's (assuming she's the princess) story is compatible with the one we know from Movie 19.

I don't see the problem. Legendary Pokemon are a part of Pokemon's appeal, and relegating them to the movies makes their appearances and history very limited. I prefer to have them in occasional stories where parts of their lore are revealed or made clearer than for them to rot at the end of Bulbapedia's debut list. Of course, I think they shouldn't go overboard with that stares at DP's completely random and unneeded Mew, DP043-Rayquaza and Giratina cameos but I don't think SM has gone there.

Besides, and I think that's the reason why Magearna is here, it would be very awkward for her to be the only one Gen 7 Pokemon who doesn't have a main anime appearance.

Magearna is a robot so one could build another, and there also hasn't been a release of Original Color Magearna yet. There's really nothing else that the "Mechanical Princess" in the title could refer to.

A) The "there also hasn't been a release of Original Color Magearna yet" actually isn't true, since that form appeared in the movie. Unless you're talking about the games, in which case: the games are the games (the same games that have yet to release the Eternal Flower Floette).
B) The whole point of her story is that's she's a unique robotic life-form due to her Soul Heart, a one-of-a-kind power source created by Nikola. So, no, not everyone could build their own Magearna. Maybe Mohn (for whatever reason) tried to create a replica of the original Magearna, but the why (as in why do this?) and, more importantly, the how (as in how would he get her up and running?!) are very elusive to me.

I don't see the problem. Legendary Pokemon are a part of Pokemon's appeal, and relegating them to the movies makes their appearances and history very limited. I prefer to have them in occasional stories where parts of their lore are revealed or made clearer than for them to rot at the end of Bulbapedia's debut list. Of course, I think they shouldn't go overboard with that stares at DP's completely random and unneeded Mew, DP043-Rayquaza and Giratina cameos but I don't think SM has gone there.

Besides, and I think that's the reason why Magearna is here, it would be very awkward for her to be the only one Gen 7 Pokemon who doesn't have a main anime appearance.

I disagree. Sun & Moon has definitely started to go overboard with its inclusion of Mythicals and Legendaries. The Marshadow from episode 57 was completely unnecessary and was used for nothing more than a stupid joke. Shaymin isn't necessary. The Rayquaza from episode 79 was irrelevant (so much so, that I actually forgot he appeared in this series). The Mew from the Kanto arc wasn't necessary. Meltan isn't necessary (though I'll admit, I'm not gonna complain as long as Ash gets it). And Magearna sure as heck ain't necessary for the Mohn story. I'll agree that some of the others are somewhat necessary due to plot reasons, but the ones I mentioned are certainly not.

And besides, past series didn't need to show all of their current gen's Mythical Pokémon, so why should Sun & Moon?

The only other scenario (other than Magearna) I can see playing out here (however unlikely) is this:

Mohn, having lost his memories and what-not, created an artificial version of what he vaguely remembers of his daughter. Lillie then shows how much she has grown by battling and defeating the artificial "Lillie" and restores her father's memories, to a degree.
(Or some similar plot)

I think that would make for a great episode with potential for some unique comedy moments, but, as I said, I think Magearna is the most likely plot.

It kind of makes sense to have all these legendaries/mythicals in the anime. The Gen 7 games have provided us with a surplus of rare Pokémon. Exclusive Z-moves, Ultra Warp Ride & the whole 2018 monthly distribution of legends/mythicals have made Gen 7 a very legend/mythical heavy generation, so it’s understandable why the Gen 7 anime would focus on these Pokémon.

A) The "there also hasn't been a release of Original Color Magearna yet" actually isn't true, since that form appeared in the movie. Unless you're talking about the games, in which case: the games are the games (the same games that have yet to release the Eternal Flower Floette).
B) The whole point of her story is that's she's a unique robotic life-form due to her Soul Heart, a one-of-a-kind power source created by Nikola. So, no, not everyone could build their own Magearna. Maybe Mohn (for whatever reason) tried to create a replica of the original Magearna, but the why (as in why do this?) and, more importantly, the how (as in how would he get her up and running?!) are very elusive to me.

I disagree. Sun & Moon has definitely started to go overboard with its inclusion of Mythicals and Legendaries. The Marshadow from episode 57 was completely unnecessary and was used for nothing more than a stupid joke. Shaymin isn't necessary. The Rayquaza from episode 79 was irrelevant (so much so, that I actually forgot he appeared in this series). The Mew from the Kanto arc wasn't necessary. Meltan isn't necessary (though I'll admit, I'm not gonna complain as long as Ash gets it). And Magearna sure as heck ain't necessary for the Mohn story. I'll agree that some of the others are somewhat necessary due to plot reasons, but the ones I mentioned are certainly not.

And besides, past series didn't need to show all of their current gen's Mythical Pokémon, so why should Sun & Moon?

Melton certainly is necessary as it's a Gen 7 Pokemon and won't be relevant again once Sword & Shield come out.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom