• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Review SM121: Mao's Valiant Effort! The Forest Pokémon Café!!

Great episode, on par with previous episode, both Lana and Mallow got their own focus. Nonetheless, it didn't get involve with battle, but a peaceful work at the café.

For this episode, I give it a B+.

The six horsemen and women of the apocalypse (with their Z-crystals of infinite stock footage doom) have gathered.

May thee who come forward to them tremble in the greatest amount of fear.

Umm, for a slice of episode this at least was one of the more acceptable ones because at least it feels like a slice of life episode and not constant faces for about 20 or so minutes.

Also precious Tapu-Koko smile.

Last edited:
GREAT episode, the perfect slice of life variety which SM is famous for. What do I mean by this? We got an insight into the world of Pokemon which we never otherwise see - that all kinds of Pokemon (some of whom we're familiar with from different contexts) frequent Yareyutan's establishment, and they operate a trading and bartering system to get food! How frickin' cool is that?!

Mao's character works best in this kind of low-stakes, world-building episode. She is a genuine and hard-working kid who wants to make her family business the best it can be. How can that not be endearing?

The episode benefited hugely from Nyasu's significant, neutral presence. Yes he was a translator, but it also showed his humanity, and showcased some genuinely nice twerp/Rocket interactions which have been sorely lacking since DP.

Bonus cursed image of Nyasu's nose:
P6WbxJ.jpg

Just a pity the Popplio shot remains Popplio
Yeah, and that also includes Lillie and Sophocles where they don't wear their Z-rings during the beach and Pokemon School scene despite the fact they are wearing them in the certain scenes.

This episode was awesome as the Professor Kukui's classmates have every Z-Ring since its beginning of the Sun and Moon series.
I give this episode an A.

I gotta confess, I was half afraid that Meowth would end up bringing Jessie and James back to the cafe to try and steal Tapu Koko, Tsareena would learn High Jump Kick during the TR battle, and then Tapu Koko would give her a Fightinium-Z.

I was glad to be proved wrong and for how surprisingly deep this episode was, although Oranguru having a Z Ring just lying around which Olivia could conveniently restore did feel pretty contrived.

Please note: The thread is from 5 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom