• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Review JN015: Snow Day, Where is Karakara's Bone?

Well, would you look at that? The writers finally managed to create a decent Gou episode without the usual GO bullshit, perfect captures and what not. This is the type of characterization that Gou (and his Pokemon to a less extent given how many he has now) needed, something that was hinted at in the first three episodes but never touched again in favor of his boring collecting goal. Cubone was a very deserved capture, his first since Scorbunny which felt like ages ago.

There's only two things that annoyed me though:
- Cubone was the 7th slot capture yet it's Pokeball didn't lock out. Did they forget about it or is the carry limit non-existent now? Inconsistency.
- Aicholtz finds new ways to be annoying along with the composer's shitty anime original music.

Last edited:
A cute and fun episode of finding Cubone missing bone that stolen by Mankey and threw it at the water. Nonetheless, Go is the first EVER protagonist to have a full family.

Overall rating: C+

Not a bad episode by any means although I must confess I found it a bit tedious myself, mainly because I just can't force myself to be interested in Gou. To his credit however he caught the Cubone by befriending it instead of abusing RNG and there was no catch bonus, so I'll take that, and we did see him battle the Sandile last week before catching it. Too much Marina Aicholtz elsewhere though sadly, and the country music was back alongside an almost as bad second country theme I'm not sure we've heard before.

Aside from that the Cubone parts were pretty good and it was nice to get some insight into Gou's family like Koharu's before him, even if he doesn't interest me. I do like that the series is fleshing out its characters and their backgrounds, I just wish Koharu's weren't relegated to once every 6 months.

A decent enough episode suffering from one or two of usual complaints (lack of Koharu but Gou's Mom and Grandma were there so there was at least some female representation present, and the use of the awful country music), but certainly a massive step up from the crap they were serving us last year and in the early parts of January.

A cute and fun episode of finding Cubone missing bone that stolen by Mankey and threw it at the water. Nonetheless, Go is the first EVER protagonist to have a full family.

Overall rating: C+

Are we just not gonna count Brock, May, Max, Sophocles, Lana, and Kiawe? (Heck, even James has a full family)

While they might not be center protagonists of the anime, they are still protagonists...

Are we just not gonna count Brock, May, Max, Sophocles, Lana, and Kiawe? (Heck, even James has a full family)

While they might not be center protagonists of the anime, they are still protagonists...
However, they don't appear very much often in the series.

Nonetheless, Go is the first EVER protagonist to have a full family.

However, they don't appear very much often in the series.
? Brock is the longest running companion Ash has ever had, currently, with May behind him, to feature a "full" family. As for Lana, Sophocles, and Kiawe, we just finished a saga with them; Gou's tenure will most likely mirror theirs in length, episode count-wise. While it was nice to see Gou's family, he's certainly not the first ever protagonist to feature a mother and father, nor is his the longest in terms of screen-time.

So Ash intended to go home but Gou dropped his gift so Ash had to find him to give it back to him.
Dewgong is not disobedient toward Gou anymore.
Ash still remembers his incident with Mankey and Primeape since he commented about how mischievous these Pokemons can be and even told Gou how to bait them.
Gou helped and bonded with Cubone. And it decided to join him. I hope he will keep it in his main team.
Overall, a really good episode for Gou.

Decent episode, I’d probably find it even better if I could speak Japanese

Seems like Go is just going to magically have whatever Pokémon are the most convenient for the job with him.

And...Go had 7 Pokémon with him at the end of the episode?! Did all 7 appear in that last shot? Or did one quietly disappear.

I liked the episode. And Go actually bonded with Cubone before he caught it and it was Cubones choise to join Go.

Good thing Go took 4 of his flying Pokémon and 1 water/ice type with him this episode. ;) And again a little bit of development for some of his Pokémon. (Scyther vs the geodude scene was funny.)

I'm a little dissapointed he could send out Cubone at the end of the episode without a problem since it was his 7th Pokémon on hand. It would have been a great way to reintroduce the concept of max 6 pokémon on hand and maybe also to reintroduce the concept of pokémon transportation systems (when was the last time we saw this system? XYZ?)

And I know he had more Pokémon on hand in his Kanto bug catching episode, but it felt different. He didn't call them out untill he was in his dorm. And he also didn't have access to the dome yet. If he called them out in the forrest already it would have ticked me out back then... Now it thicks me out in this episode because he immediatly calls Cubone out without a problem.

Also, would Go have sticked to his filosofy of watching don't intorup when the Mankey bullied Cubone without Scorbunny, or did Ash ways rubbed of on him. Or maybe since it wasn't an assigment as lab assistent his hand-off policy isn't active?

And I guess his parents are glad Go has a lot of Pokémon Friends now and also a Friend in Ash.

Nice episode overal. Also good they put Ash and Pikachu on a bus ( ;) ) for a good portion of the episode. This way we could focus on Go some more.

It seems that Go is working under Pokemon Go rules whereas he's allowed to carry as many Pokemon as he likes with him... let's face it, his catching style is lifted straight from Pokemon Go so this might as well be.

Seriously though, why is everyone suddenly taking issue with this when the same thing happened during his bug catching spree? There was no indication there any of his Pokemon were sent away or sealed. Maybe the Rotom Phone is able to switch party Pokemon around easily... I just wish there some actual indication of this, instead of the writers just throwing all the established rules to the wind in the face of a popular app they need to base the anime off now.

By the way, Ash's smug face near the end of this episode was great. I hope we will get more of that in the future.

Seriously though, why is everyone suddenly taking issue with this when the same thing happened during his bug catching spree?

I don't know for the others, but I explained why it didn't bug me in the former episode but it did in this episode.

Also, if the 6 pokémon rule doesn't count anymore, why was there a box in the beginning of this episode with 6 slots for pokéballs? I thought the Pokéballs from Scyther, Beedrill, Butterfree, Taillow and Dewdong were in this box, with the empty slot for Scorbunny's pokéball which Go already had on hand.

20200301_132521.jpg

I think it is save to assume 6 slots is still a thing in the anime based on this box.

Also, the app Pokémon Go also still follows the 6 slots rule. When you fight a Pokémon, you can use a maximum of 6 pokémon.

It is indeed a lot easier to switch between your party Pokémon and the others in Pokémon Go. And I don't have any problem they would use this rule in the Anime. I mean, they already changed the rules of the the 7th Pokémon between Kanto and Unova. And in Kanto they already said you could change your pokémon with pressing a button on the pokédex (a function which was never used). Technology marches on. I wouldn't have any problem you can switch between pokémon in your party and "box" with the rottom phone with ease á la Pokémon Go, but they could show it at least or explain it.

They can even change the rule you can have all the Pokémon on hand you want, but you can only use a maximum of 6 in a battle.

Reminder that LGPE and SwSh have a portable box that allows the player to rotate Pokemon with ease, so Go not being able to send out Cubone would have felt quite out of place to the target audience. All that matters is being restricted to 6 Pokemon in battle, which is a rule that the anime will never break if only for practical reasons.

This is a cute episode. I would have liked a darker tone involving Cubone's situation, but I'll wait for the subtitles. There's a big implication here that Mew messed up Go's childhood, and that his parents merely enabled him (okay, they're still more responsible than Mew is). But he's just 10 and enjoys his current life.

Last edited:
Please note: The thread is from 3 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom