• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Review JN019: I Am Metamon!

A boring episode just for the motivation of Team Rocket teaches Ditto to be confident of itself. But seriously, this episode is just cannot be describe either good or bad.

Overall rating: C+

It wasn't the worst episode ever but I just honestly couldn't give a crap about it, since all it did was highlight Team Rocket, wouldn't really call it development at all. Maybe that's a positive for Team Rocket fans.

The highlight was Wobbuffet's Ditto fantasy, of it becoming a female Wobbuffet. LOL.

Better than I expected it to be, but that wasn't exactly a high bar. I was somewhat enjoying it until they dropped the ball at the end by doing Team Rocket filler villain bullshit instead of actually giving them and Ditto a proper payoff, but what we saw up to that point was mostly all right. Not great, but not unwatchably bad like episodes 9 or especially 6 before it. It at least did a better job copying Ditto's Mysterious Mansion than Episode 3 did copying Bulbasaur's Mysterious Garden. I was rather hoping somebody up top had realized that Aicholtz screaming catch bonuses was liked by literally no-one and that they'd quietly phased them out, but alas, they're back. At least Team Rocket prior to the last act leaned more towards the good SM Team Rocket and less like the crappy XY or AG Team Rockets.

Omg this episode was an emotional gut-punch that I was not expecting. Musashi being selfless, and the team having such intimate dynamics this early in the series feels like a really good sign of things to come. I wonder if some of you didn't like it because you didn't understand the dialogue?!

Something about how Metamon was inspired by them to do better made me choke up... like Metamon is me OMG HOLD UP - I AM METAMON!! This episode is a TRio fan meta... I love Yuka Miyata.

I can't believe there was no payoff for TRio in the end with them ending up blasting off cheaply despite doing good.
That is not what happened. Musashi wanted Satoshi to send them flying so Metamon could go back to its job (they initially thought it had been fired) and pursue its success as an actress, so intentionally goaded him into doing so.

That is not what happened. Musashi wanted Satoshi to send them flying so Metamon could go back to its job (they initially thought it had been fired) and pursue its success as an actress, so intentionally goaded him into doing so.
That improves the ending somewhat; I'll call this one a success, at least as much of a success as a recreation of an earlier episode could be.

I love this guys... They are so good people

Also they only want Pikachu to blast them off, Go does not deserve that honor.

I like good Team Rocket, but of course my favourite Rockets are when they are mischievous.

The problem is that we will not have a good rocket episode untill they get a Pokemon of their own or atleast the episode is centered in a Jessie James or Meowth, not a Pokemon of another person.

Ironic how the best episode in the series (being this one) features team rocket. Then again, they are the best characters in the show (by some length). I'm giving this episode a 9/10 based off that and how little Gou contributed to the episode. I have also found the perfect formula of a good Pokemon episode. It features Gou in the background, Koharu non existent and Team Rocket having 80% of the screen time.

I know that they wanted to be blasted off and made it seem like they kidnapped Ditto. That still doesn't mean I have to like the entire plot point which made the episode end up being a filler, the first half of the episode made me enjoy the SM-esque TRio and want to care about Ditto but by the end, I can't because of its CotD nature. That's the thing, TRio deserved better in this episode than what they got.
and less like the crappy XY or AG Team Rockets.
XY TRio weren't bad at all. I think you meant BW.
And also Team Rocket used a Pokemon of his own (Wobuffet)

Also this is not a filler since Gocatches a Rattata isnt it marvelous.... Hello anybody that thinks this is not a filler? Hello anybody there??

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rTirN4CinVo

Pretty sure the "Gou catches a Pokemon so it's not a filler" claim has been debunked, especially for a catch as quick and irrelevant as Ratata's.
Ironic how the best episode in the series (being this one) features team rocket. Then again, they are the best characters in the show (by some length). I'm giving this episode a 9/10 based off that and how little Gou contributed to the episode. I have also found the perfect formula of a good Pokemon episode. It features Gou in the background, Koharu non existent and Team Rocket having 80% of the screen time.
Did you miss the last episode?

Last edited:
Pretty sure the "Gou catches a Pokemon so it's not a filler" claim has been debunked, especially for a catch as quick and irrelevant as Ratata's.
Whether to consider an episode where Gou catches something as filler depends on the use of that Pokemon in later episodes. So, if Rattata becomes nothing but a background character in later episodes (at best), this episode is a full-on filler. If Rattata is used in a later episode, it can't be viewed as actual filler... unless all it does is evolve into Raticate and is never used again.

Has anyone noticed that some of Pokemon in this series have different colors than they were in the previous series like ditto or dratini? Maybe they recolored them to match with the ones in the games.

The bit at the end where the Rocket trio is trying to get Satoshi to attack them with a Thunderbolt attack was pure gold.

Kojirou: "If you wanna defeat us then I guess you have no choice but to hit us with a 10,000 Volt attack."
Musashi: "That's right. Gotta hit us with a big CRASH, you see. Tee-hee *wink*
Satoshi: "Huh?"
Musashi: "Tee-hee" *wink*
Satoshi: (no reaction)
Musashi: "BIG CRASH! WE'RE TELLING YOU TO HIT US WITH A THUNDERBOLT! CAN'T YOU TAKE A HINT!? "

(...also, on an unrelated note, I'm afraid of what the Rocket fandom is going to do when the Kojirou feet thing gets translated in the fansubs tomorrow...)

Please note: The thread is from 3 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom