• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Review JN043: Sword & Shield II - Black Night

Nothing else going on until at the conclusion of the episode. When Rose henchman tried to stop Sonia and Goh for their objective to find out the Hero Duo legends whereabout and also Rose tried to bait Ash to welcome him for the crisis. In reality, he behind all this. Not to mention with the pointless Team Rocket segment.

Overall rating: B-

A much better episode than last week's that relies more on characterization and dialogue, with a lot of development on-going for multiple characters within and sufficient amount of action to balance it. The animation and visual work is still poor though, and it hurts when there's poor visuals for a mainline episode (at least not as much as last week's due to the veteran animator botching up at the time). Also, TRio's segment felt some what irrelevant compared to everything else. And no G-Fetch'd in sight either.

Hey, I was right about Goh D-Max'ing Raboot and ending up accidentally destroying the mural. Also love the little parallels they're drawing between Ash and Leon.

I was about to say "Wait, that's it?" on the cliffhanger but I keep forgetting the clocks went back so I missed the first few minutes. Silly me.

Pretty good second half with some nice enjoyable moments (especially related to Sonia and Rose) but it's a big ol' exposition kind of episode so you're gonna need subs for this one to enjoy it a lot more.

Also dang, Pikachu being suspicious of Rose. I guess he's seen enough villains to know where this is going.

This was definitely the “let’s make up for the fact this ark had no build up” episode, but interesting none the less.

Does this count as Dreepy’s debut?

So was Sobble just invisible throughout the episode or was it actually gone?

I swear I can never tell whether or not that little dude is really there or not.
It's messing with my head and it's driving me nuts >_<

In other news, nice to see Gengar again after a while.

Also this episode had more talking than anything else. We really need the subs lol

Ash not catching that Coalassol was a big missed opportunity. Especially after Ash defended it from the construction workers

Goh and Raboot accidentally destroy the mural that Bede destroyed in the games with Copperajah while fighting off the creepy dude with the garbage Pokemon whose name I can't seem to remember.

I guess Goh is filling in for Bede AND Hop lol. Marnie probably doesn't even exist in this universe either, too.

So was Sobble just invisible throughout the episode or was it actually gone?

I swear I can never tell whether or not that little dude is really there or not.
Sometimes I swear the writers themselves don’t even know. Remind me again what the purpose was of having it caught if it was just gonna be a prop or invisible most of the time,

I swear Team Rocket can get a job anywhere doing anything at a moment's notice. they must have some insane qualifications and interview skills lol

Screen Shot 2020-10-30 at 12.02.21 PM.png

Screen Shot 2020-10-30 at 12.02.25 PM.png

Screen Shot 2020-10-30 at 12.02.36 PM.png

seeing young Leon and Sonia tho ;_; I was so excited to see this part, but felt bad for Sonia knowing how lonely she must have felt when Leon grew to be so strong and out of reach.

ouch though.. did not expect to see those mine workers just start throwing rocks at Coalossal after its gmax wore off and it tried to leave. that was honestly really sad.

+ oleana's angry medusa face lol

Dynamax Raboot is so fluuuffy! Can't wait to see gmax Cinderace when it evolves.

Bit bummed we may not get to see Bede at all now since it was Go/Raboot who destroyed the mural in his place though. Hopefully he'll show eventually, maybe as the fairy gym leader in the future like the games. But bleh. I would've loved to see him early on as one of Ash's rivals and progress past being used by Chairman Rose to growing into his gym leader spot.

going to watch again once subs are out! loving this overall so far

Yet the workers seemed to reject it hench the rock tossing. That seemed like a good enough reason for Coalassol to ditch them in favor of Ash

No.

By the way, what a bunch of jerks! Throwing rocks at his Pokémon.

PD:What a loss oportunity when the Pokémon Company decided not to make Leon the villain. The corporate champion gimmick could have been awesome.

Sometimes I swear the writers themselves don’t even know. Remind me again what the purpose was of having it caught if it was just gonna be a prop or invisible most of the time,
This is how you know it's a sign of very rushed Arc. :bulbaFacepalm:

An entire episode filled with literally almost nothing but talking yet the animators still had no time to even anime Sobble sitting on Gou's shoulders :ROFLMAO:

Last edited:
Bit bummed we may not get to see Bede at all now since it was Go/Raboot who destroyed the mural in his place though. Hopefully he'll show eventually, maybe as the fairy gym leader in the future like the games.
Yeah, I can see Bede being a Cheren scenario when Ash meets him and he's already a gym leader.

Please note: The thread is from 3 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom