• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Review JN047: Pokémon Champion! The Battle of Big Eaters!!

That was a weird end... Is like evolutions don't care in the end. No punchline in the end no epilogue...

Oh Morpeko you're such a tyrant. The closest thing that we can call as a Team Rocket Pokémon this season.

The MVP was Blaziken tho. What a knight.

What a fun episode and never thought that Goh's Skwovet evolve in this episode in an anti-climatic after Team Rocket Morpeko goes blast them away for forcing him to eat too much after it phase is over. But, it will great to see the team rocket lost expression instead of being disqualified.

Overall rating: B-

This episode, despite being filler, apparently ties into the next one, because from what I can understand without subtitles is that at least part of the prize was a trip to Unova, where Ash and Goh will travel to in the next episode.

What a horrifying episode filled with Pokemon torture... the anguish on their more faces as they choked and bared heart palpitations... poor poor Pokémon.

Now just imagine for a minute, you were given some cakes which look like babies - what a horror show!

The episode ended the way we expected, but I’m not sure why everybody saying it was anticlimactic… The episode was fun if not a bit disturbing.

The real winner here is Dragonite who made its own decision to stop when it was full.

Honestly, I found this to be a fairly enjoyable semi-filler episode for a few reasons.
  • I really liked the variety of Pokemon showcased in this episode. Even though it probably took place in Kanto (i.e. Vermillion City), a whole bunch of Pokemon from other regions were also featured and we got to see how each Pokemon adapted their eating strategies to the food that were served (such as Skwovet using Bullet Seed to easily spit out the seeds). I also liked that small detail of Lickitung and Heatmor staring at each other in that one scene after the first round, considering that both are Pokemon with long tongues.
  • Dunno if this has happened before, but I liked how the writers finally acknowledged how weird it is that people serve Pokemon-shaped food to Pokemon. What makes the scene even funnier is that whoever prepared the Torchic-shaped food did it knowing full well that a famous Blaziken was gonna participate in the competition. Forget Team Rocket, they're the real villain in this episode.
  • Morpeko. Nuff said.
Skwovet evolving into Greedent is a nice little bonus too, but I don't care too much about that thing, so eh. Overall, I think this has been one of the more enjoyable "fillers" in this series.

Apparently there's a new Intro here?
Saw a screenshot of Cinderace holding Sobble it was so cute
Yup. The whole bit has been reanimated. Ash's goal screen now also shows Bea and Raihan in addition to Leon, Goh's goal screen now had Pokémon silhouettes all across the screen, the next shot has Cinderace carrying Sobble and almost all of Ash's team (bar Farfetch'd), and the bit concludes with a Rotom Phone photo of them all, including Farfetch'd.

This episode, despite being filler, apparently ties into the next one, because from what I can understand without subtitles is that at least part of the prize was a trip to Unova, where Ash and Goh will travel to in the next episode.
That's a bit hollow when Ash and Go get trips on the company dime all the time. By the end of the series, we'll find out Giovanni is the lab's benefactor and has been using Go to expand his collection.

Ash has other Pokémon than the ones at Sakuragi Park and with Kukui? What blasphemy do you speak of?
There's that Bayleef he used against Chuck.

That's a bit hollow when Ash and Go get trips on the company dime all the time. By the end of the series, we'll find out Giovanni is the lab's benefactor and has been using Go to expand his collection.
Well it IS based off an RPG...
Serge.PNG

While cute, it kinda feels like the writers way of telling us that Sobble is basically this series Togepi/Axew/Sandy and just exists to be a plushie.
Who knows? Maybe it could end up being like Brock’s Sudowoodo, where it evolves from a timid creature and displays some signs of strength.
Also, Axew was a fairly strong Pokemon for Iris. It held some ground against Cynthia’s Garchomp (despite it holding back) and beat that one trainer’s Larvesta, or was it a Golett? Plus, it’s Dragon Rage was always shown to be quite powerful, even to the point where it couldn’t control it. It wasn’t completely hopeless, I guess.

While cute, it kinda feels like the writers way of telling us that Sobble is basically this series Togepi/Axew/Sandy and just exists to be a plushie.
For the time being at least. I'm still waiting for the Monkey's debut before I start jumping to that conclusion.
(For all we know it might take Sobble's place just like how Sobble took Scorbunny's place)

Please note: The thread is from 3 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom