• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Review JN073: Captain Pikachu! Advance, Tairetsu!!

As many will mention, Eiscue's inclusion is odd (and added a pacing issue) but I did appreciate them paying off the breaking Ice Cube thing. Falinks was fairly fun to explore, literally was multiple groups learning..."how to Falinks." And them discussing going with Gou was very good to see given what was explored of Falinks.

An alright episode for the series to come back after two week break. Once again, Goh catching Falinks after researching done. Also, Eiscue is really unnecessary. Hope, it can see again with the boys once more in future episodes.

Overall rating: C+

Well this was kinda boring. Eiscue is just there to do... things and Pikachu doesn't really do much of anything either.

Cinderace and Raichu have some cute moments but this was a just a bunch of waffling around for not much of anything.

Alas the search for a decent Pikachu episode in Journeys continues.

It was funny to see the much bigger Cinderace in the line-up, however I think I would have used another Pokémon like Cubone. But maybe Goh only had those 5 Pokémon on hand and no method to swap them out on the spot like Pokémon Go/Let's Go (like it was discussed in the Cubone episode).

Edit: he possibly had Stunfisk as his 6th Pokémon. An even less optimal pick to be in the line-up. :p

If they didn't put in a new opening maybe they don't want to reveal who else is coming back.

When Eiscue tripped over Slowpoke and hit its head, I screamed. Poor thing. It went through hell the entire episode just to be a punching bag in the end though.

Overall, the episode was whatever.

Pikachu's leader moments and the Falinks training were the best parts of the episode for me. The Pikachu leader stuff was hilarious, especially at the end of the episode when he realises that "wait, why are all of you still following me?"
The Falinks training was also nice, and also had its amusing moments, although it felt rushed.

However, the Eiscue stuff really is what ruined the episode. It shows up and has a whole backstory, only for it to barely play any part in the episode itself, and all the moments with it felt like a huge waste of time, which could have actually been the reason why the Falinks stuff was so rushed. All it adds is a sub-par battle momento, and that's about all it does. For Arceus's sake, Goh doesn't even catch it, and it ends up back where it originally was at the end of the episode without much intervention, solidifying the fact it's a complete waste of time.

Overall, it had the potential to be good, but the Eiscue execution killed it.
4/10.

I think the Eiscue segment kind of shows how bare the ideas are from the writers. They needed something to fill the void in the runtime to pass this off as an episode, and sadly it comes across as horribly fitted and paced.

Once they showed the gimmick of Falinks, they really didn’t have many ideas for it.
Could of showed off more of the gang’s Pokemon to fill this - Dragonite could be the leader, but couldn’t shout as it wants to be nice and is afraid of being mean, Gengar leads them off a cliff, Sirfetch’d makes them too eager, making them prepare to die for Ash at any moment, Raichu is shown to be pretty decent, but if they step on it’s tail, it’ll shock them…
You know, I would write more scenarios, but only if I knew what exactly Pansear and Panpour, and other of Goh’s Pokemon, were like in terms of personality.

Whilst Eiscue could have been a returning Pokemon in the series, like Sandile, showing it reunite with its fellow comrades ruined that all together, unless it stupidly gets separated.

Last edited:
I think the Eiscue segment kind of shows how bare the ideas are from the writers. They needed something to fill the void in the runtime to pass this off as an episode, and sadly it comes across as horribly fitted and paced.

Once they showed the gimmick of Falinks, they really didn’t have many ideas for it.
Could of showed off more of the gang’s Pokemon to fill this - Dragonite could be the leader, but couldn’t shout as it wants to be nice and is afraid of being mean, Gengar leads them off a cliff, Sirfetch’d makes them too eager, making them prepare to die for Ash at any moment, Raichu is shown to be pretty decent, but if they step on it’s tail, it’ll electricity them…
You know, I would write more scenarios, but only if I knew what exactly Pansear and Panpour, and other of Goh’s Pokemon, were like in terms of personality.

Whilst Eiscue could have been a returning Pokemon in the series, like Sandile, showing it reunite with its fellow comrades ruined that all together, unless it stupidly gets separated.
I think this as a whole demonstrates the biggest problem Journeys has, but i wont go too in-depth here. Overall, i think the ending was what sealed the fate of Eiscue, as the returning to home part showed it would not be returning and it would just be a useless time eating part of the episode.

A pokemon goes on an adventure, unfortunately with some unlucky events happening in the main time, resulting in eventually meeting and leaving the main cast, without getting captured....

Does this ring a bell? To me this episode reminds me of the Dewpider episode and I don't know if that's a good thing...

Last edited:
Could of showed off more of the gang’s Pokemon to fill this - Dragonite could be the leader, but couldn’t shout as it wants to be nice and is afraid of being mean, Gengar leads them off a cliff, Sirfetch’d makes them too eager, making them prepare to die for Ash at any moment,
They're too big. Goh's Pokémon were more appropriate size. Except for Cinderace, but that was pointed out and used as a gag.

They're too big. Goh's Pokémon were more appropriate size. Except for Cinderace, but that was pointed out and used as a gag.
That’s a very small nitpick…but that’s the point of the comment. We can see they cannot operate with Pokemon bigger than them, if they show it, so it would go from Dragonite (largest), to Pikachu/Grookey (the smallest). I would rather they show us, not tell us.

Well this was probably the most uneventful Galar episode yet. As I said, don’t really care that Go caught Falinks though it’s a shame that it’ll just become a background fixture now. One thing I do hate though is just how pointless Eiscue was to this entire episode. It could’ve been removed and we would have lost nothing.

What do you mean "add"

It's been there since day one when we spent 15 minutes following a random pichu around and I think Go and Koharu were there too
Fine. You got me there.

But at least those were introductions.
We had two plotlines today, and one was just a random series of events featuring an ugly penguin.

It's more like 'Adding unneeded scenes to fill the timeslot'.

Please note: The thread is from 3 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom