• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Review JN076: Full Power! Alola Deserted Island Race!!

That reunion scene was nice but just 10 seconds, really guys?
As much as I dislike Team Rocket, a longer reunion scene would have been nice

Part of me hopes they might remain in Alola for a bit and spend some time with their old friends

It was good to see Vileplume's Sleep Powder fail to affect Grookey, a fellow grass type

I thought this was a nice episode. Goh's catches were plot-relevant, Ash's Champion status was acknowledged, we got to see Lucario being used, Team Rocket got to meet up with their Pokémon and Bewear, and Ash's next World Coronation series battle got setup. Now it makes all the more sense for him to bring his Z-Power Ring back, given that he go this news in Alola.

Well this wasn't too bad. I actually do like the two kids they go up against with their fun personalities.

Poor Team Rocket though, they get shafted YET AGAIN!

That reunion scene was nice but just 10 seconds, really guys?
Granted, this isn't to say the reunion couldn't have been a little longer, keep in mind though, the other Pokemon reunion wasn't very long either. The episodes weren't about said reunions, and that's fine.

Full VA list courtesy of Adamant

Rica Matsumoto: Satoshi
Daiki Yamashita: Go
Ikue Ohtani: Pikachu
Megumi Hayashibara: Musashi
Shinichiro Miki: Kojiro
Inuko Inuyama: Nyarth
Yuji Ueda: Sonansu
Mika Kanai: Kiteruguma
Daisuke Namikawa: Lucario
Kei Shindo: Namakobushi
Yasuhiro Mamiya: Gantle
Hana Takeda: Sarunori
Fumiko Takekuma: Hidoide
Arisa Sekine: Zen
Tatsuki Kobe: Ryoku
Shiori Sakurai: Ana
Marina Aicholtz: Go's Smartphone Rotom
Kenyu Horiuchi: Narration

This episode was ok. I liked that Ash was finally acknowledged as Champion, the TR reunion scene and Kommo-o Z move looked pretty nice but the rest was kinda meh. The ending gave me literal chills with Volkner and the direct transition between the 2 episodes. This was a 6/10 for me

I thought this was a nice episode. Goh's catches were plot-relevant, Ash's Champion status was acknowledged, we got to see Lucario being used, Team Rocket got to meet up with their Pokémon and Bewear, and Ash's next World Coronation series battle got setup. Now it makes all the more sense for him to bring his Z-Power Ring back, given that he go this news in Alola.

Also a callback with Ash knowing how to attract the attention of the Passimian with sports and playing. At least this is how it felt to me.

Ah, feels like I’m home - Alola episodes, while infrequent, are shaping up to be pretty special - they’ve both felt like Sun and Moon episodes to me. There was a lot of races in that series, it was pretty cool to see the Anouncer and Magnezone show up.

This was great because it gave both Ash and Goh something to do, both got to utilise Pokémon - and despite the absence of the Sun and Moon cast the continuity with the previous series is seamless as Ash’s champion status and Alola/Z-Move experience is referenced throughout (we also get a rare bit of insight into how Ash had developed - he didn’t even mention being champion to Goh, so we can start to see that modern Ash is super humble) Ash really feels like he’s a veteran trainer.

Of course I’ll always want to see more of TR’s Alola family, but the small reunion was so wonderful (how could you not scream when Jessie hugged Mimikyu!)

not only is the continuity with the previous series pretty seamless, but the continuity and natural flow in the next episode is exactly the kind of thing that I’ve been wanting Journey’s to do better. Not only does Ash get his challenge at the end of this episode, this episode serves as an inspiration for Ash to pick up his Z-ring.

Journeys has made me a happy man today!

Oh yeah, given particular elements of this episode (which ironically harken back to early(ish) PM 2019) I can get why people rate it so highly, and I do appreciate those moments too, but it also reminded me of a Hoenn/Sinnoh episode, which is why I used standard.

It was good to see some more of Goh's Pokemon being put to good use this episode

Did I imagine it or was Ash about to send out another Pokemon to battle Team Rocket before the brothers interrupted, makes a nice change from him leaving his team at the lab

No, both Ash and Gou were about to send Pokemon out (sorry if that was snark).

Please note: The thread is from 3 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom