• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Review PE02: The Eclipse

Written by
Benjamin Townsend

Cast -

Lillie - Amanda Lee
Lusamine - Dawn M. Bennett

Last edited:
"Get back in the bag Nebby!" :ROFLMAO:

Anyways, the episode was...all right I guess? Most of it was fighting which while animated well wasn't super substantive. The voices of Lillie and Lusamine fit, though it was distracting that no one else spoke especially Gladion. Disappointingly the trend of the MC's face being obscured (and voiceless) continues.

Better than Episode 1's dub but I still don't think this dub is anything too special at all. Dawn M. Bennett is decent for Lusamine (her last few lines especially) and Amanda Lee as Lillie is fine but that's all I think about it. As much as I hate to say this, Lillie still doesn't have an English voice I would call definitive or fully clicks with me (in my own case).

And as for the episode, it was pretty good. Lusamine looked really great here.

Last edited:
I definitely enjoyed Lillie's voice here, much better than Laurie's Hymes I feel

Oh hell yes! Out of all the English voices Lillie has had, AmaLee's take on it is the absolute best IMHO. Not perfect, but hell, I can deal with it. For one, she doesn't sound like she's trying to do a bad Miss Piggy impression.

Hgghghhhhghhhhhh this one was gorgeous :love:

I'll admit that I'm probably biased here because I love Gen 7. Objectively speaking, some of the issues I had with the Leon episode could also be applied to this one. This episode too is ultimately just an animated recreation of scenes from the game that already got a once-over in the main anime series, and unlike the Leon one, there wasn't even an (albeit mangled) attempt at using a different framing device to provide a new perspective on the events. Actually, if anything, this one almost feels like a very tardy Gen 7 installment of Pokémon Generations! Even the animation feels more similar to that series to me, compared to Evolutions's previous episode. Also, as a smaller criticism, I thought it was a bit jarring that we didn't see Guzma jumping into the wormhole after Lusamine, especially since we do see him fall out of the wormhole at the altar later on.

(I also would've liked it if the Ultra Recon Squad got a cameo here, especially since this is the Ultra Moon world and I was quite fond of Phyco and Soliera, but that's a wishlist item so I'm not going to hold that against the episode.)

Nevertheless, I really did enjoy this one. Really smooth, lovely animation; tender emotional moments, a great action sequence, and pretty solid direction all in all.

Last edited:
While I'll forever be disappointed they chose to adapt the worse version of SM's story, I'm at least happy they made it so Lillie commands Nebby to fight here. It only sort-of-but-not-really makes up for how USUM ruined Lillie's character arc.
I personally prefer USUM to SM, so I'm happy that they chose to adapt this version of events.

Story-wise, this was nothing new, with even most lines taken directly from USUM (I would know, I’m replaying it), but damn, was this gorgeous! The ambiance lights, Lunala’s swirling shadow wings, that gorgeous fighting animation and the terrifying way Necrozma was portrayed here... the visuals take a high note. I also love that Lillie acted as Nebby’s trainer here, even if I do wish Selene actually got to speak.

The voice acting was fine, Lusamine and Lillie sound much like how I expected them to. My one gripe is that Lusamine’s distressed cries for Lillie to be careful with Necrozma really didn’t match her exhausted and injured look, but that’s minor.

It looks like Evolutions is going to suffer the same problem Generations did with assuming viewers have played or know enough about the games enough to keep up with the story...
And please tell me they ALL won't keep jumping between the present and flashbacks. Because that will get annoying quick. :sick:

Though I will give it credit for that AMAZING animation during the fight, and finally giving Lillie a better English voice.

Yay, best girl Lillie!!!!! I will always love anything focusing on the my girl. I'm guessing each of these specials will be based on one version of the games they focus on. Last episode was Sword, and here it was Ultra Moon. I'm Sun biased myself, but I guess an aerial battle between Lunala and Necrozma was more interesting than Solgaleo would have been on the ground. I'm glad they used Seline as the hero here, but is it me or did she look mighty tall for an eleven year old :LOL:. Either way, I enjoyed this very much.

I also imagine we're going to keep seeing Pikachu with the player's hats and each starter trio.

Man, I had no idea AmaLee was a professional VA. I've fallen down the rabbit hole of listening to her songs (particularly Fullmetal Alchemist covers) lately, that's super cool she played Lillie in this!

Even if it was far from perfect, I'm glad we at least had an animated adaptation do game Lillie (somewhat) justice. I don't have anything against Lillie from the main series but she just feels like a fundamentally different character to me. And it makes part of me all the more sad we'll probably never get a full, faithful animated adaptation of gen 7's story, because if any of the Pokémon games deserve it, it's those or gen 5's.

That said, I wish they used Sun and Moon's story as a base rather than USUM's, which of course still has many of the same plot beats but most of the changes are inferior in my opinion. But I am glad they went for Lunala Nebby instead of Solgaleo, because thematically I feel it just fits so much better for both Lillie and Cosmog.

The little background animation they had playing during the credits was also cute, but I'm not sure why TPCi decided to credit the Pokémon voices in an unhelpful "block of names" format this time especially when the Japanese description still has the exact roles listed.

Amanda Lee as Lillie is fine but that's all I think about it. As much as I hate to say this, Lillie still doesn't have an English voice I would call definitive or fully clicks with me (in my own case).
Yeah... I definitely have that same feeling that no voice actress has been able to match exactly how I imagined Lillie speaking in the games. Ama Lee still comes the closest in my opinion, but there's just something that's lacking and I can't put my finger on it. My best guess is it just still feels too "acted" to me and not completely natural, but I really don't know for sure...

This was nice. I especially like that they had Lunala put up a much better fight than in the games, otherwise it's just decent, though I do admit to liking it a tad more than The Champion if only because I prefer this art style. That said, I would have liked it if they had revealed which Pokemon Selene was sending out to battle Necrozma: even just a fully evolved Alola Starter would have been nice though admittedly if I had to pick which starter I would have gone with Decidueye if only just to make up for the awful treatment it got in the main anime

This was a good episode. It focused a lot on Lillie, a character we often don’t focus on much. The voices were good and Lillie’s voice is what should have been in the SM anime. The music was good too. I like that Selene was here, but I wish we saw the Pokemon she sent out. 7/10 episode for me

I wish the Fully Evolved Alola Starters appeared here like the Galar ones did in the last episode

We didn't even get to see who Selene threw out ....:bulbaFacepalm:

Also this trend of ending the short after setting up a Huge Battle is annoying.

I'd rather just skip straight to Victor and Inteleon vs Leon and Charizard or Selene and whoever VS Ultra Necrozama instead of these setups any day of the week

Last edited:
Please note: The thread is from 2 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom