• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Review JN085: Rival Showdown! Satoshi VS Saitou!!

This episode was good. I liked the part with Korrina and Bea, that was hillarious. Also liked the part where Ash called his whole team out. The battle started off great as well, but that wasn't the main focus of the episode, the main focus was Bea and Ash which I liked. Really gives a new side to Bea. This episode is a soild 7/10 for me

Urgh, why does every PWC episode have to include a recap of the whole thing almost like Journeys knows how disjointed it is. Ash’s Pokémon all get to appear but stand around doing nothing, show no personality and don’t internet with anyone.

This is what I was thinking at the start of the episode; perhaps I got up on the wrong side of the bed…

Because then Korrina showed up and we got to see her relationship with Bea; Dracovish and Sirfetch’d got to show a bit of character while eating the Poke Puffs; Bea’s Pokémon even got to be characters, and the rivalry with Grapploct was reestablished just through interaction.

I loved this episode before the battle even started - this is what a two parter does best, gives time for the story to breathe; show what a threat Bea is and let us focus on Lucario for a bit. And now there is plenty of time for an amazing battle next week!

Well played journeys! I just wish Chloe was still alive…

Ash’s Pokémon all get to appear but stand around doing nothing, show no personality and don’t internet with anyone.
To me, they showed off their respective personalities pretty well. And people have been wanting moments like this, when Ash's Journeys team just hangs out together.

I thought that was Close Combat from Lucario against Hawlucha, but it did seem that it had Aura Sphere, Double Team and Force Palm, whilst Reversal seemed like the last move it used before the end-stilt. Wow. Lucario still has that dry move-set. I’m quite shocked they kept that even here…

First part of the episode against Bea didn't go so well. Hopefully, Ash better have a way of strategically mind thinking. Otherwise, he's going to drop back to super class in next episode.

Overall rating: B-

First part of the episode against Bea didn't go so well. Hopefully, Ash better have a way of strategically mind thinking. Otherwise, he's going to drop back to super class in next episode.

Overall rating: B-
Is it rude of me to hope that that actually happens, I'm curious to see what will happen if that does

Is it rude of me to hope that that actually happens, I'm curious to see what will happen if that does
It wouldn’t make much sense. Ash climbed his way to the top, if he’s gonna lose, I can see him lose in the Master Class because over there, trainers are on a different level than what he’s used to. I can see Ash almost losing because of him relying to much on Mega Evolution, but he’d win in the end.

Full VA list courtesy of Adamant

Rica Matsumoto: Satoshi
Daiki Yamashita: Go
Ikue Ohtani: Pikachu
Shinichiro Miki: Negigaknight
Daisuke Namikawa: Satoshi's Lucario
Kenta Miyake: Kairyu
Yasuhiro Mamiya: Gangar
Kiyotaka Furushima: Corni's Lucario
Kei Shindo: Kapoerer
Hana Takeda: Sarunori
Noriaki Kanze: Otosupus
Ryota Iwasaki: Luchabull
Daisuke Ono: Dande
Yuka Terasaki: Corni
Yoko Hikasa: Saito
Yuji Ueda: Commentator
Marina Aicholtz: Go's Smartphone Rotom
Maxwell Powers: Drone Rotom
Kenyu Horiuchi: Narration

A very decent setup episode with sweet interactions between the characters and pretty solid animation. Ashcbetter step up his game though, Lucario is getting ground into powder left and right.

Going to give this one a subless look, mostly because by the time I'd find subs that aren't Viet Crystal quality I'll be at work.

Anyway....

• Riolu's Trainer is now 'Lucario's Trainer'. As someone who sucks with names I can apprecaite this gag
  • Wonder if the Failinks is new given its lack of photo presence. I mean I like me Bea and Falinks is probably Bea's most popular Pokemon. Still no Sirfetch though.
  • Did we ever find out if Korrina's rank changed? I mean I can't imagine it hasn't since the Battle Festival, but I miss when they showed more ranks off. Beyond my own taste showing those ranks is a good way to reduce dumb comments and takes
  • The Korrina and Bea gag is a good one. I swear I think when she travels Bea doesn't get enough sugar and she gets grumpy. That's clearly what is happening.
  • Pokepuffs? Well they do look like they came from Korrina. Nice touch.
  • So from the interactions I'll guess that Bea used Pangoro against Korrina. Hmmm....you think Pangoro beat Lucario or did Lucario beat Pangoro but lost to....well I wouldn't guess Grapploct because the recycled animation doesn't imply a Grapploct defeat.
  • Honestly I wish they used Bea more. Why wasn't she at the cake contest? I mean, I'd rather see her having eaten all her frosting than Grookey. Or is that risking fetishes?
  • Anyone else notice the sleepwear when the two guys (or the odd Chloe) have when away from Vermillion is not just different than what they use in Vermillion, but also identical. It's happened at least twice (fossils and now), is that a thing in Japan for some reason? @Dogasu
  • No Z-Ring or Dynamax Band?! Okay, Ash.....you brought your entire team, so why not your two other 'in case of problem, BOOM!' techniques. You can use a Z-Move and a Mega in the same battle in game, so nothing says you can't.
  • Looks like the announcers know what a Keystone is, while I don't think the guy in Sunnyshore knew what Ash's Z-Ring was.
    • You know, the Ash in Reset has a Keystone and Z-Ring on pretty constantly even when he doesn't use them. Animators....surely it isn't hard to remember to give Ash his bling right?
  • If I knew what Korrina was saying I could tell if she was suggesting she had battled Grapploct before, or was talking about the move or something.
  • High Jump Kick, some sort of glowing wing attack (Acrobatics?), Sky Attack...won't lie that Sky Attack animation was not as good as Decidueye's from last series.
  • I don't have a problem with the switching. I do prefer a bit more of a drawn out brawl than these change ups but they aren't really bugging me.
  • Interesting to see a similar strat with Grapploct and Machamp to bind their opponents then set up a barrage of punches on them.
  • So Pokemon can go 'there is a time and place for everything' with Megas and prob Z moves, but not Dynamax. Oh yes, worst mechanic.
  • Leon watching your match in person, an honor.
  • So my take is that this battle is mostly for Lucario build up, and ideally that means that Pikachu and Sirfetch can get some work done next episode without a risk of a Lucario episode eat up. So my guess is that Pikachu gets Grapploct, Sirfetch'd Hawlucha, then best mechanic beats worst mechanic.

• High Jump Kick, some sort of glowing wing attack (Acrobatics?), Sky Attack...won't lie that Sky Attack animation was not as good as Decidueye's from last series.
Wing Attack - Bea explicitly says the name of the move too, during the fight.

I have to say, Machamp has never looked better. Not only did it finally receive a Dex entry after decades, but it was animated in a manner that reflected those entries - really nicely done holds juxtaposed with attacks from all of its arms; this is the kind of battle style I have wanted to see from the species for a long time!

Wing Attack - Bea explicitly says the name of the move too, during the fight.

I have to say, Machamp has never looked better. Not only did it finally receive a Dex entry after decades, but it was animated in a manner that reflected those entries - really nicely done holds juxtaposed with attacks from all of its arms; this is the kind of battle style I have wanted to see from the species for a long time!

Thanks, 'GOD BIRD' is a name I know, not so much what Wing Attack is called in Japanese.

Alright, Korrina showed up, that and Grapploct's workaround for Electroweb (and just the overall group hanging out the day before the battle) were my favorite parts of the episode. I do hope that Pokemon does begin to use the cast more like this (having them visit other regions spontaneously) in the future, as it's a fairly easy way to bring back characters.

This episode had the best continuity in awhile tying together all the recent episodes and Ash’s full team was shown with interactions. Tomioka needs to write more episodes.

Please note: The thread is from 2 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom