• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Review JN110: The Battle Royale of Betrayal!

Go's display of sportsmanship and fair play, and the consequences of those actions, would have been more profound for me if he wasn't going to qualify for the Project Mew spot three episodes later in the Regi episode. It's the same rushing problem & conclusion that happened with Serena during her last couple Showcases, due to the writers creating an anime-specific niche for a character they did not initially design to be tangibly goal-oriented. They want to throw in a problem to "raise the stakes" and generate involvement for Go's goal, but there's no time for a substantial payoff or development given that they're speeding along to the conclusion that Go needs to be a part of.

That said, Go wanting to continue the mission fairly rather than have Tokio forfeit for a default victory was what saved the episode for me; that and his distance towards new people actually coming in handy against the wounded gazelle gambit the other two entrants tried to pull. I also enjoyed seeing all of Inteleon's screentime along with its new Mud Shot (even though Liquidation was a touch too repeated in animation; luckily, I like said animation though).

VA list courtesy of Adamant

Rica Matsumoto: Satoshi
Daiki Yamashita: Go
Ikue Ohtani: Pikachu
Kei Shindo: Sirknight
Shogo Sakata: Inteleon
Hiroshi Kamiya: Tsurugi
Ryoko Shiraishi: Asahi
Ayahi Takagaki: Tokio
Kohsuke Tanabe: Shunya
Haruka Shamoto: Lyra
Tatsuki Kobe: Challenger
Yuki Shin: Challenger
Shuichiro Umeda: Challenger
Marina Aicholtz: Go's Smartphone Rotom
Kenyu Horiuchi: Narration

Not a bad episode. It showed Goh is a better battler than way back in the flute cup, without making him seem overpowered. He still isn't a pro, but competent.

We also saw the ranking of Garry, Tokio, Goh and other top candidates, which is always nice to know.

Goh not falling for the scam was good and him not wanting to win by default too.

Funny how all the speculation the last couple of weeks about the betrayel in this title wasn't that important in the end. :p

Got to see lots of different Pokémon battling, including Inteleon getting to be very cool, in in a unique setting.

Pretty neat

And getting to see everyone’s Token count towards the end with Goh lagging behind Horace and especially Gary gets me kinda hyped for more Project Mew. Although, the drama is lessened slightly by how we know Goh will have his final mission and presumably qualify in a few episodes - but that’s not this episode’s fault.

This ep was pretty good. You see this is why I didn't mind Ash being in previous Project Mew eps because he wasn't allow to participate in this one. Imagine how angry people would be if Ash didn't get to battle articuno and only Go did?

Honestly wish we had a set-up like this for Ash like in the Battle chateau in kalos

It was an average episode, I will give them that.

Still; they misused the location, Sea Kinsetsu, and stripped it of its lore/backstory.
Now it seems more like the abandoned ship featured in AG that Project Mew has repurposed as a Trial Site.
And they could have go for that instead of being Sea Kinsetsu-in-name-only.

An alright episode for Goh to get his goal closer to Mew. Unfortunately, fell short once again due to circumstances that leaves to no choice have to battle to the last trainer stand. Do hope, he can finally get his own goal by getting the Legendary Titans of Galarian variant. That will be major turning point for him to get to Mew. Thankfully, Goh can see the trap, but his friend don't. That is something, that his awareness is on high alert.

Overall rating: C+

It was an average episode, I will give them that.

Still; they misused the location, Sea Kinsetsu, and stripped it of its lore/backstory.
Now it seems more like the abandoned ship featured in AG that Project Mew has repurposed as a Trial Site.
And they could have go for that instead of being Sea Kinsetsu-in-name-only.
This isn’t new whatsoever as the people running the anime did this WAY BACK in the Gold and Silver arc with the Ruins of Alph - stripping it from the place of what it’s says on the name and lore regarding the Unown to just a prehistoric fossil Pokémon preserve (which the remakes would later reference this via fossils of Gen 1) - or could that been the dub’s doing that long ago?

Go and Tokio's relationship is sweet

It hurts having to see my son Inteleon go down but at least it was to my daughter Gardevior and not to a Pokemon I dislike plus it had some nice moments in the episode

Those two Rival characters are jerks. I love them they should've appeared sooner

Fun episode

Must be a result of the change in head writer.
Most likely, and thank goodness for that, because it was most certainly a change for the better. Early Journeys was kind of like a fever dream. Especially stuff like......this.......
1652472770698.png
1652472846956.png
(shudder :oops:)

What do you think Horace's Gardevoir's voice would probably sound like in the dub? Ultimate Journeys is almost coming out. Do you prefer hearing Gardevoir sounding more like Melodi's (DP020)/SM003 (Meowth's Mimikyu fantasy) or more like Concordia's/Diantha's/Kimia's (M19, shiny)/Kublocke's? (don't even get us started on AG109, but it would be very funny if Horace's Gardevoir sounded like the Gardevoir from that episode) Which one of these Gardevoir sounds more like how a Gardevoir should, and do you think Horace's Gardevoir should sound like that Gardevoir?

Last edited:
What do you think Horace's Gardevoir's voice would probably sound like in the dub? Ultimate Journey is almost coming out? Do you prefer hearing Gardevoir sounding more like Melodi's (DP020)/SM003 (Meowth's Mimikyu fantasy) or more like Concordia's/Diantha's/Kimia's (M19, shiny)/Kublocke's? (don't even get us started on AG109, but it would be very funny if Horace's Gardevoir sounded like the Gardevoir from that episode) Which one of these Gardevoir sounds more like how a Gardevoir should, and do you think Horace's Gardevoir should sound like that Gardevoir?
Who knows? It'll most likely be Michele Knotz voicing it one way or the other. Speaking of Gardevoir though, so happy to see it here! One of my favorite Pokemon since my Gen 3 days. I always used it over Alakazam in Emerald because.......I had no friends to trade with, or a link cable either. (Sigh :cry:.) I also liked Gardevoir for its role in Mystery Dungeon, since I happen to be a Mystery Dungeon veteran since 2006. I used to catch male Gardevoirs when I was younger, but I absolutely refuse to do so now, because......well you know why.

That was wayy better than I expected. Finally Goh has to do missions himself. The mission was fun to watch imo, more engaging than just catching one pokemon at the end. Tokio was also great, they highlighted the differences between them well. Wasn't expecting Goh to lose there. Glad project mew hasn't been a cakewalk for him. Especially with Gary in the background. I like how Goh wanted to battle him in particular and picked up on the trap with Liepard. It makes sense given his distrusting nature. And how he was clenching his fist at end. it reminded me of him in ep 3. That more cautious and almost darker side of him

Good stuff all around, albeit it's a shame that project mew might end soon

Michele Knotz as the voice of Gardevoir? Well, that means that we can safely rule out the possibility of Horace's Gardevoir sounding like the one from AG109 (made during the 4Kids dub) (shudders). Now which other Gardevoir will Horace's sound more like? Which other Gardevoir sounds more like how a Gardevoir should?

Please note: The thread is from 2 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom