• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

3-d pokemon

Ararararagi-san

I stuttered
Reaction score
why do some people want pokemon to go to 3-d? I just want to know reasons for it.

Frankly, I think it's fine the way it is in HGSS, so I want to understand why some people want a 3-d game.

Last edited:
Because 3D is the way of the future, and they've been 2D more than long enough.

I now quite a few people who are a bit disappointed that Nintendo still hasn't gone 3D in everything as far as pokemon goes actually.

Besides, it's fully possible and doable.

I'm thinking because it's a new fad. Almost every movie is in 3-D these days and the technology for video games is also improving..although I don't see what would be so special of seeing 3-D Pokemon on such a tiny Nintendo DS screen.

i say just stick to the good looking 2-d sprites instead of moving to crappy and jagged 3-d....things.

Because I just think the pseudo 3-d looks odd. 3D overworld... 2D sprites. It just doesn't mix well. As for battles... well, I'd be fine with how it is, but if they gonna go 3D on the overworld, might as well do the same for battles. I'm jsut saying. The DS can handle full 3D games. It's been proven numerous times before.

Because I just think the pseudo 3-d looks odd. 3D overworld... 2D sprites. It just doesn't mix well. As for battles... well, I'd be fine with how it is, but if they gonna go 3D on the overworld, might as well do the same for battles. I'm jsut saying. The DS can handle full 3D games. It's been proven numerous times before.

Yeah Platinum's Distortion World is probably the best one from Pokemon.

i actually kind of like the 3-d overworld, 2-d sprite thing. I thought it gave the game some weird charm. And the ds can't totally handle 3-d games. Have you seen kingdom hearts 358/2? it was in all 3-d and it wasn't that pretty.

But the pokemon team did do well with the distortion world

I thought the graphics in Gen 4 were okay, they were definately better than the past games. For the overworld though, I think they should tilt the view just a little bit more, kinda like how the view inside the Oreburg Gym looked like.

I thought the graphics in Gen 4 were okay, they were definately better than the past games. For the overworld though, I think they should tilt the view just a little bit more, kinda like how the view inside the Oreburg Gym looked like.
yeah! i actually wandered in there a few days ago and thought that that was awesome

The DS can handle full 3D games. It's been proven numerous times before.

Do you seriously want hands/characters that look like these ones?:

Official-Screens-kingdom-hearts-358.jpg

Or the ones like in this video? (note: stuff like this, which is a very small portion of this game, is the only part in 3d, which is why it looks slightly better than KHDS)

Personally I'd rather them stick to 2d until Nintendo's handhelds can deal with 3d at least as well as the PSP can. >_> Just because its hardware can handle it doesn't mean they have to use it. the DS's 3d is pretty ugly IMO, and like I said, I'd rather them wait for it too look GOOD rather than jump the gun.

The argument that 3D would be doable is crap. 3D on the DS looks like crap, and pokemon has never been so groundbreaking of a series technologically that they would push for actually good 3D graphics. It's so much easier to just have sprites for the pokemon, as opposed to 3D models. They look good because they look as good as they would possibly look. This is Nintendo, they've never cared as much about graphics as other things, so GF i would not see wanting to transition to good graphics in 2D, to shitty 3D graphics just for the sake of being in 3D.

Um, DISTORTION WORLD? Great 3D. Pokemon can and has done it people. Don't think about the others who failed. Look at out franchise which succeeded.

Distortion world is minimal 3D. It basically was taking 2D, and shifting it from a horizontal axis to a vertical one. At no point in the distortion world could you go all 3 directions at one time, you simply could go 2 of the 3 at some point. Not really 3D movement.

What GL said. There was nothing 3D about the Distortion World. Did it look cool? Yes - but the controls were exactly the same. All it was was an overblown teleport-tile maze with deceptive and twisted graphics.

Distortion world is minimal 3D. It basically was taking 2D, and shifting it from a horizontal axis to a vertical one. At no point in the distortion world could you go all 3 directions at one time, you simply could go 2 of the 3 at some point. Not really 3D movement.

What? 3 directions? Are we talking the tradition 3D width, depth, and height? Are we talking the actual movement directions? What does this post mean?

What? 3 directions? Are we talking the tradition 3D width, depth, and height? Are we talking the actual movement directions? What does this post mean?

As in by no means was traditional 3D. It was the same axis of motion, only put on its side. By 3 directions I'm basically adding diagonal along with your generic horizontal and vertical movement in the game.

We're talking about making pokemon full 3D but from the same view as always. The Distortion World is almost the perfect example. The character is just 2D.

I think what Ryuu's talking about concerning the Distortion World is how the pieces of land 'n stuff looked more 3D than your typical overworld stuff... right? And that's mostly due to it being all floaty though... but I see what he was saying.

Compared to the sprites of You, Cynthia, Cyrus, the 3 Pixies and Giratina, the Distortion World did look a little more 3D than the other normal parts of the game outside of the DW. But also like what GreatLiver was saying, the view also played a part in it... like what I said in my previous posts about tilting the view a little bit more upward, they could do that AND apply the 3D-ness of the Distortion World to make it appear more 3D.

'Tis random rambling... but I didn't really think about it till just now.:lol:

I think why most people want 3-D is because of the depth (?) involved in the game's environment.

But if we're talking about just the graphics of the environment...dude, Gen. IV already did that, and not just in the Distortion world. Every single bit of the overworld was 3D except for the characters, and everything (including the characters) changed in accordance with perspective. About the only thing you could add to make the graphics seem more obviously 3D is a free camera, but that's not what you were talking about.

Please note: The thread is from 14 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom