• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

3-d pokemon

"Models" (over sprites) or "3d movie" 3d?

Models over sprites is because the sprites have lost their charms (look at the HGSS, at least half of them have SERIOUSLY messed up shading)

3d models. You know, like in Stadium/Colosseum/PBR.

Would I want models? Nah. I don't know for sure, but I think 500+ models would take far too much memory

The 3ds can support game cards up to 2 gigs (as of release). And with the prices of memory falling fast, they might be able to fit more.

and be ultimately pointless in a primarily sprited (or sprite-esque) game. It would just look shoved in there. If Generation 6 or the third game decides to turn it 3D and the hardware can take it without looking stupid, I'd say they can go for it
There is always cel shaded graphics. They can then make it as cartoony as they want to.
but that would probably ruin the franchise FOREVER for many fans.
Pokemon was ruined FOREVER back when HGSS changed so much. A while later, everyone got used to it. That would probably happen all over again, after all, it happens every time a new gen/game/remake/whatever comes out.

The 3ds can support game cards up to 2 gigs (as of release). And with the prices of memory falling fast, they might be able to fit more.

Except Black and White are being made for the DS.

There is always cel shaded graphics. They can then make it as cartoony as they want to.

I said it would stick out like a sore thumb in a sprite-based world, not that it wouldn't be cartoony enough.

Pokemon was ruined FOREVER back when HGSS changed so much. A while later, everyone got used to it. That would probably happen all over again, after all, it happens every time a new gen/game/remake/whatever comes out.

Even disregarding that pleasing the fans is like navigating a minefield with no metal detector, it might be unwise to switch to 3D. Doing that would negate the purpose of the Stadium series, and less games = less money.

Still, it would be nice.

Im all for 3D. The more realistic they can make it, the better. I like simply watching PBR battles on YouTube, bacause its so much more realistic than a static 2D sprite. If they made a handheld version of PBR, or something similar, I'd be happy.
Sure, as a spriter, it would make my job a lot harder, or nearly impossible, but from a purely aesthetic standpoint, you can't top 3D.

Would I want models? Nah. I don't know for sure, but I think 500+ models would take far too much memory

XD (has models for gens 1-3) took .7 GB according to a quick check of the internet. The 3DS has a minimum of 2GB.

They're the same damn models.

Seriously, look at Charizard, Squirtle, Ivysaur, Lucario, Jigglypuff, and Pikachu in SSBB for the ideal 3D graphics. Custom work and care and love put into every polygon.

When we can reach that point, then I'll be happy.

This. Those models look sleek and beautiful. Actually, I think most Stadium models from 1998 (EXCEPT BLASTOISE!) look pretty neat and could well be used in a future 3DS game; although I'd rather have new Brawlesque models.

This. Those models look sleek and beautiful. Actually, I think most Stadium models from 1998 (EXCEPT BLASTOISE!) look pretty neat and could well be used in a future 3DS game; although I'd rather have new Brawlesque models.

Judging by the recently announced GPU of the 3DS, I'd think it more likely they'd use Colosseum models as a basis. N64 would be an insult to the system.

That probably wont be for many years... Brawl had all the time in the world to specifically work on a small amount of characters. when you have to do over 500, it would probably cost too much and be too tedious for a simple machine like a handheld.

I would be happy with Colosseum/Xd models, they were quite nice , and far better than the sorry excuse for pokemon models on PBR

I think the CPU will probably be based off ARM CPUs, for backwards compatibility with the DS and DSI (both used 2 cpud: an ARM7TDMI, and a ARM9)

PBR models.
XD or Collusium models.
cell shaded.
Sprites with a animation for everyone those 3D models do.

I don't care, I just want Pokemon that move and actully seem alive.

Last edited:
and the next mainstream Nintendo handheld will also be 3D!

THE 3DS!

I think it's fine if Pokemon goes 3D, I just dislike the sprite-3D environment combination. Ew.

Please note: The thread is from 14 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom