• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

3-d pokemon

But if we're talking about just the graphics of the environment...dude, Gen. IV already did that, and not just in the Distortion world. Every single bit of the overworld was 3D except for the characters, and everything (including the characters) changed in accordance with perspective. About the only thing you could add to make the graphics seem more obviously 3D is a free camera, but that's not what you were talking about.

*sighs*
Sorry. Never read carefully about this.

It wasn't directed at you or at anyone in particular - just at the general idea of "more 3D".

I definitely want to see better, shinier graphics, but that's one thing that's already been done.

But if we're talking about just the graphics of the environment...dude, Gen. IV already did that, and not just in the Distortion world. Every single bit of the overworld was 3D except for the characters, and everything (including the characters) changed in accordance with perspective. About the only thing you could add to make the graphics seem more obviously 3D is a free camera

That's what I think. Maybe tilt the view a little upwards JUST enough to make it appear more 3D, but yet not too much to where it would look really strange to have the usual 2D overworld sprites. The best example I can think of is, like I said previously, is inside the Oreburgh Gym.:-/

And perhaps make the sprites in the overworld 3D? Please? It doesn't look good mixed.

I'd like to see 3D characters, but I don't think it'll help much with the worst-looking things, like the variably-sized eyes. Those will probably persists as long as there are pixels.

More 3-D debate!

Not my cup of tea. Maybe turn the avatar and the NPCs into polygon models if its that big of an issue, but not the battle screen. There's really no way they could get the graphics to appear in such a format that would look better than a 2-D plane to me.

Maybe turn the avatar and the NPCs into polygon models if its that big of an issue, but not the battle screen. There's really no way they could get the graphics to appear in such a format that would look better than a 2-D plane to me.

Agreed. But, I would love to see 3D cutscene intros of you and your major opponents throwing out your first Pokémon (plus you throwing out your first Pokémon in a legendary battle). And if they didn't want to put in a 3D model for every possible Pokémon you could use, they could always have you throwing out your Poké Ball last, and the flash would be the cut over to 2D.

Hey, they can do whatever they want with the battle intro scenes, as long as it doesn't take forever and a day to get through. Not fun for those long grinding sessions.

I do think that eventually the games will be full 3-D, but it won't be anytime soon. The 3-D graphics on the DS are really ugly. Take for example, Phantom Hourglass and Spirit Tracks; they were full 3-D games, but the graphics were, for the most part, really bad.
To me, the DS reminds me of the original Playstation; great 2-D graphics, ugly 3-D graphics. Avoid 3-D as much as possible.

Semi-off topic; if you have AR, you can activate a code that can change the camera angle. I've used it a few times to change the camera in various places to the way it was in Oreburgh Gym, and to be honest, the graphics overall looked better that way. Rather than go full 3-D, I'd want the option to change the game's camera angle to our own personal preferences.

Do you seriously want hands/characters that look like these ones?:

Official-Screens-kingdom-hearts-358.jpg

The same thing happens to any DS screen that you take and then blow up like that. Doubling the size of a DS screenshot is going to look bad regardless of how "good" or "bad" the graphics are.

Seriously, try blowing up any DPPtHGSS screens to the same dimensions. They look just as bad.

Not that I have anything against the current way things are done, how hard can it be to make 3D overworlds, atleast? They can be about the same size as sprites, but 3D. Its very easily imaginable.

Wow, how'd I miss the KH screenshot?

Dogasu's point is right on that - on the size of a regular DS screen, the game looks great. The character models are definitely the clunkiest-looking part, but considering the fact that they're in motion pretty much all the time during gameplay, and the fact that the models had to be built to perform such a wide variety of movements, it ends up not really mattering.

Wow, how'd I miss the KH screenshot?

Dogasu's point is right on that - on the size of a regular DS screen, the game looks great.

What the hell are you talking about? No it does not. For a DS game, yes it looks good. But for 3d in general? No, it looks horrible. Unless you're looking at it from a massive distance, it still looks bad. I mean, the hands, the hands! I know the PSP doesn't do TOO much better for 3d hands most of the time, but do you honestly want hands like those tossing pokéballs?

Not to mention the fact this was what SquareEnnix was able to accomplish. Do you honestly think GameFreak can do just as well if not better? SquareEnnix goes out to push the game's limits, GameFreak, at least as far as Pokémon goes anyways, seems to stick very much to what has done them well for more than a decade, only minorly tweaking the game.

Last edited:
First, it's my opinion that it looks great, and while I admit I value design over detail, I'm not an anything-goes guy when it comes to graphics. Second, why would we compare it to anything but other DS games, since that's the system it's on and that it has to work within? Third, Game Freak could probably achieve 3D models that are that good or better, especially withthe hiring they seem to have been doing. Overworld characters would be fairly easy, because they are small, simple models with limited movement and almost no interaction with their environment, vastly different from the complex systems that had to be put together for the 358/2 models. And because of that, if they did go with a few small cutscenes for Gym Leaders and such, they could lavish all their attention on those few models that only have to do a few predetermined movements - hell, they could even make them pre-recorded and save them as video if they wanted.

And frankly, if it's a choice between having just the same old 2D introductions to the most important battles, and having best-possible-3D intros with full character models but slightly blocky hands, you'd better believe I'll take the latter. I won't be looking at the hands - I'll be looking at the swagger and sneer of the opponent, and the flash of light as their first Pokémon gets thrown out. When you're looking at one still screenshot, it's easy to pick apart the models and call out all their little flaws, but when the game is in motion, the whole effect obscures the slightly wonky parts.

2D Has a classic edge, by the time I got kids Nintendo will consider 3D Pokemon.

Because, Pokemon is aimed at the older people, casual gamers, if they get rid of our favourite 2D feel we'll leave welll, I would, 3D would any bring in hardcore gamers, XBOX bummers, and I'll doubt that happen.

........If any 360/PS3 hardcore gamers/frat boys start playing Pokémon just because of a switch to 3D graphics, I'll eat my Golduck.

Please note: The thread is from 14 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom