• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Member Card to be distributed to Platinum players

Reaction score
The latest CoroCoro issue has revealed that the Member Card, the key item unlocking the in-game Darkrai, will be distributed via Mystery Gift to Platinum players. As with the recent Secret Key promotion (for Rotom's alternate forms), both local Mystery Gift (in Japanese retail stores) and the respective Wi-Fi feature (no restrictions set on location) will be utilized. The promotion will be held from December 1st to January 15th.

I recently predicted that this might happen in light of the possibility of seeing Newmoon Island in the anime. The Pokémon Company has clearly decided to reserve the Mystery Gift items (and Wi-Fi Mystery Gift in general) for Platinum, despite the fact that they have been available in Diamond and Pearl for the past two years. This comes as no surprise after their decision earlier this year to make the special and extra missions in Ranger Batonnage unlockable via Wi-Fi, rendering Darkrai tradable to Diamond and Pearl in that manner. Clearly, having Diamond and Pearl is not enough; acquiring elusive Pokémon via Wi-Fi is a luxury that only those willing to buy the most recent games can afford.

On a less important note, Darkrai's special mission in Ranger Batonnage will be made unlockable again during this period - in the same fashion as before. Moreover, on the day following the end of the Member Card promotion, the Secret Key will once more be made available for download - until March 2nd.

...Hmm. Can you use this card before the E4, I wonder? =/

I mean, Darkrai's not in the Sinnoh Dex (not even the Platinum one, I don't think), but if you could.. well, sweet.

I know you could probably download the item before the E4 (if they made it in-accessable before the E4.. god I'm so going to rush through Pt to get past there before next year lol) but actually using the card.. Hm.

lol Is DP ever, ever going to get a Wi-Fi event? XD By now it seems like they're just focusing on Platinum. Hey, I'm cool with that, but it's still kind of funny how they have a Wi-Fi option for Mystery Gift on DP..

You can receive the Member Card at any point in the game as long as you have activated Mystery Gift, though not even that is necessary if local Mystery Gift is involved. However, the Member Card will not open the door to the inn unless the National Pokédex has been obtained.

The promotion for the Oak's Letter might follow soon after the second Secret Key distribution, in which case it will probably be limited to Platinum, as well. That said, by the time the Azure Flute is offered for download, which might very well take more than a year from now (the movie promotion will likely offer a direct Arceus download), the Pokémon Company will have probably stopped pretending that Platinum really has that much more content than its predecessors.

Last edited:
It makes me pretty ticked off that they are only going to distribute the Member Card to Platinum players and not to Diamond and Pearl players, forcing them to get Pokemon Ranger: Shadows of Almia (and a extra DS). Then again, they probably are doing this in order to force those who only have DP to buy Platinum just so they can make more money.

Wow, I see no point in this event for myself because I already got a Darkrai rom Toys R Us, but I suppose it can't hurt to have another......and keep the extra for trading.

Wow, I see no point in this event for myself because I already got a Darkrai rom Toys R Us, but I suppose it can't hurt to have another......and keep the extra for trading.

Its easier to control nature if your into competitive battling, other thant hat there really is no point if you have one already.

But atleast this means Nintendo has acknowledged that one out of the three main series games actually has wifi event capabilities -_-

Its easier to control nature if your into competitive battling, other thant hat there really is no point if you have one already.

But atleast this means Nintendo has acknowledged that one out of the three main series games actually has wifi event capabilities -_-

Well yeah you got a point....my Darkrai doesn't have the right nature, but it does have the exclusive moves which I like.

Not alot of events happen in the UK, and if they do, they're usually too far away for me to get to :( I hope Nintendo hands out most of the event stuff via Mystery Gift. I particularly want the Azure Flute!

It has been announced on the official Platinum web site that the Oak's Letter item will be distributed in Spring 2009.

It should be noted that unlike the Shaymin in Diamond and Pearl's Flower Paradise, the one in Platinum can transform into Sky Forme when the Glacidea Flower is used on it. As such, it is almost a given that this event will be exclusive to Platinum yet again. Much like the movie-distributed Shaymin, this in-game Shaymin will also trigger the event in which the Glacidea Flower is received.

It lets you go to Flower Paradise so you can capture Shaymin.

Glad to hear that it will be distributed in the spring. What better season to catch it?

The Azure Flute is unlikely to be distributed before late 2009. The Pokémon Company will want to lure players to theaters; distributing the Azure Flute via Wi-Fi or even various retail stores would be counter-productive early on.

I know. Besides, the closer we get to the Azure Flute, the closer we get to Gen. V.

Well so long as I get Shaymin and Arceus off Toys R Us, I won't need the flute and the letter...

Its only the movie Shaymin that transforms, so even the letter won't work. A Toys R Us one that they release for the movie will probably.

It has been announced on the official Platinum web site that the Oak's Letter item will be distributed in Spring 2009.

It should be noted that unlike the Shaymin in Diamond and Pearl's Flower Paradise, the one in Platinum can transform into Sky Forme when the Glacidea Flower is used on it. As such, it is almost a given that this event will be exclusive to Platinum yet again. Much like the movie-distributed Shaymin, this in-game Shaymin will also trigger the event in which the Glacidea Flower is received.

The Shaymin found with the Letter in Platinum does transform.

I only raised one team in Diamond, so it's no biggie for me. I'm getting Platinum.

Please note: The thread is from 15 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom