• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

WB Rereleasing first three movies on DVD.

Yoshi1001

Statistical Anomaly
Reaction score
On April 7th, Warner Bros is rereleasing the first three movies on DVD:

http://whv.warnerbros.com/WHVPORTAL/Portal/product.jsp?OID=73357

The information here is a little sketchy. Looks like a two-disc set, with movie 1 on disc 1 and movies 2 and 3 on opposite sides of disc 2. There was another boxed set in 2001 that was on 3 discs. Offhand, I don't think there's any new content (though "Meowth's Party", which I don't believe was on the original second movie DVD, is listed for the movie 2000).

Making of the second movie soundtrack? Hmm, given the theories on WWC about "Flying Without Wings" being put on to represent Jirarudan at the end of the film, this may clear things up (yes I know it's a love song. Think of him talking about the Ancient Mew and finding that it's what he wanted all along).

And boy did they mess up one of the major points of the third movie. Molly's not an orphan!

Info page said:
ON ALL 3 MOVIES: Full-Screen Version
Lame. :/ There's seriously no reason for this to be the case. Especially since this is the "final cut".

Yoshi1001 said:
There was another boxed set in 2001 that was on 3 discs.
Didn't that go out of print recently? Maybe that's why they're releasing this.

The thing is, though? I have specifically avoided buying the DVD versions of these movies just in case a cheap boxset like this would be released. And also because the first three movies' releases had that annoying "external clip" structure that drives me absolutely crazy (anyone know what I'm talking about and what the proper term is?). The lack of widescreen and the original tracks is dumb, but what the hell. I'll likely pick it up, which is moronic of me since I own the VHS version, but the idea of owning the entire series on own format appelas to me to a ridiculous degree. Hope the cover's a good one. ;P

Blackjack said:
And boy did they mess up one of the major points of the third movie. Molly's not an orphan!
Not technically, but she was without any parents at the time. I'm more concerned about the 2000 description... yes, he does save the birds, but it's not the driving force of the movie. ^^; Not that it matters.

Under product details:

Screen Aspect:
Original Aspect Ratio - 1.85

1.85 is a widescreen ratio. Fullscreen is 1.33. Unless they were referring to the original source material.

I'm not terribly sure when the original box set went out of print. Again, I think these are just repressings of the original discs and not updated in any way-aside from the "Meowth's Party" part, the list of features sounds identical to the original versions. Seeing as how we don't even have a picture of the box as of yet, who knows.

One thing that just struck me as a little odd is that they didn't try and cram Mewtwo Returns on here for two double-sided disks rather than one single and one double.

Last edited:
Why are they rerealeasing that's pretty strange it'd be funny if it was also going on blueray.

And they couldn't put the origianl Japanese version on there?

Man, what is it with Pokemon DVDs not being released with a Japanese version on them? Seriously.

Why are they rerealeasing that's pretty strange it'd be funny if it was also going on blueray.

I looked, and didn't see anything. If a Pokemon Moie was coming on Blu-Ray, it would probably be later this year (heck, the Live-action Street Fighter movie is coming to Blu-Ray, so why not Pokemon?).

CosmosShipper said:
And they couldn't put the origianl Japanese version on there?

Man, what is it with Pokemon DVDs not being released with a Japanese version on them? Seriously.

It probably isn't considered enough of a selling point to justify doing it.

that website says that among the extras on all three movies is "Director/Producer commentary". Hmmmm. I'd love to hear a commentary for Pokemon 2000. Also, the extras for movie 1 mention "sneak peak of Pokemon 2000". I don;t recall there being anything like that on the original DVD. I wonder if its that special live show they did on WB before the movie came out, the one where they had some of the artists from the CD come out and perform songs. That would be awesome ^^; I had that special taped when it aired, but I lost it. I may have to get this box set, even though I had all the original DVDs.

I'll handle this piecemeal:

that website says that among the extras on all three movies is "Director/Producer commentary". Hmmmm. I'd love to hear a commentary for Pokemon 2000.

As far as I know, there isn't any, unless it was recorded but never used. The first and third movies have full commentaries.

Also, the extras for movie 1 mention "sneak peak of Pokemon 2000". I don;t recall there being anything like that on the original DVD. I wonder if its that special live show they did on WB before the movie came out, the one where they had some of the artists from the CD come out and perform songs. That would be awesome ^^; I had that special taped when it aired, but I lost it. I may have to get this box set, even though I had all the original DVDs.

No, it means the trailer for the second movie. Most of that special is on the disc for Pokemon the Movie 2000.

Wasn't the trailer for 2 on the VHS for 1? The intro where Oak was saying something about a special preview after the movie "so you don't have to be a psychic pokemon to predict the future" and then Alakazam stole his clothes?

You know, I wonder if the movie 2 rerelease will change the captions from "Gelarden" to "Lawrence III" or if they'll just import the old captions. For that matter, I wonder if David in 3 will be identified, because I *know* he talks offscreen in his two minutes of time (he's the Hale family butler, but since he's the resident character played by that guy who does a voice for every movie whose name escapes me at the moment, people seem very excited to know who he is).

Sounds good. I have them, but I'll double-dip if they do a good job with this rerelease.

I already have these, so no.

It is too bad we will never get a DVD release with the Japanese version available as well. Ah well, maybe in another decade...

You know, I wonder if the movie 2 rerelease will change the captions from "Gelarden" to "Lawrence III" or if they'll just import the old captions. For that matter, I wonder if David in 3 will be identified, because I *know* he talks offscreen in his two minutes of time (he's the Hale family butler, but since he's the resident character played by that guy who does a voice for every movie whose name escapes me at the moment, people seem very excited to know who he is).

English or Japanese? The Japanese movies all have Koichi Yamadera in them, but David's English voice isn't even on Bulbapedia...

No widescreen? Really? I'd gladly fork over the cash to finally have a widescreen release, but since I already bought these on DVD years ago, no thanks.

I loved the first 3 Pokemon movies and I don't have any of the movies so this will probably be my first Pokemon dvd purchase, widescreen or not. (Though I would prefer widescreen)

Please note: The thread is from 15 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom