• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

SwSh 3rd Version/Sequels?

Would You Like Some?

• YAY! (I love the new stuff!)

Votes: 20 30.8%
  • NAY! (That's what DLC is for!)

Votes: 22 33.8%
  • We might not get any like with Gen 6...

Votes: 23 35.4%

• Total voters

RileyXY1

Young Battle Trainer
Reaction score
This is a thread to discuss rumors and leaks about the games to come after Sword & Shield, including possible third versions, sequels, and remakes. As you all know, posting links to 4chan threads is against the forum rules, although you are all free to share images of 4chan threads.

Real:

Unconfirmed:

Fake:

I know they JUST came out, but it's something to think about.

I especially keep thinking about how the end of the SS trailer had Zacian and Zamazenta act like something was coming... :unsure:

Me, I'm going with "Nay". They weren't so bad back in the day, but in this era of DLC and patches, they are no longer needed.
(Heck, I STILL can't believe they made Ultra Sun/Moon when some DLC packs would've done the same thing without charging players for a new game...)

If we do get a third version, I really think that they might go back on their decision to not do DLC. Because a lot of the stuff from the leaks seem like they were going for that 3rd game feel, while still having the first 2 games' problems.

I still think the next games will probably be the Gen IV remakes. So finally having DLC will allow SwSh to continue along side the remakes until Gen IX comes out until everyone jumping ship to the other one after it comes out.

I honestly don't want a 3rd/enhanced version since they are simply 90% of the starting versions. Also, with the third game's content being in the first two versions, I don't see a point in having a 3rd version at all. This is the same kind of thing that happened with ORAS, everybody kept wanting Delta Emerald, but it didn't come out because of the Delta Episode. In any case, DLC is the best bet in this day and age to replace enhanced versions.

I'm not convinced that they will go the DLC route.

3DS supported that and if Game Freak really wanted to explore DLC, they would have done it sooner.

I'm Chaotic Neutral. I voted yes. Hopefully a third/sequel version pair would provide more of what everyone actually wanted. Since, y'know they have more time to work with Galar now.

Seriously they need to do something nice with Galar I don't want it to end up hated. I've been waiting for a british isles region eagerly since the fairy type was revealed.

I am very salty that the fey and magical opportunities were unused in favor of "FEKIN SPORTS YEH". ...I expect that sort of thing from an American Region.

(Heck, I STILL can't believe they made Ultra Sun/Moon when some DLC packs would've done the same thing without charging players for a new game...)

Never underestimate GF's interest in a quick and easy cash grab. :)

It doesn't even have to be an expansion of the story, just put back every pokemon, megas and z-moves again, add a couple more gigantamax forms and voila a new chance at making some money!

I don't think there will be enhanced versions next year, if only because that means we'll have to wait that much longer to have the removed pokemon returning in a core game.

I think a follow-up is very unlikely to happen, but explaining means I have to go into sensitive details:

Any material a theoretical "Pokemon Gun" would have covered is already dealt with at the climax. Eternatus and its ultimate form are defeated and captured, with the cover legends' story seemingly wrapped up neatly. The only way a typical third version is gonna happen, imo, is if they retcon lore, which I doubt. Also, on top of this, SwSh is the first pair with move tutors, although they're technically called Technical Records.

Any material a theoretical "Pokemon Gun" would have covered is already dealt with at the climax. Eternatus and its ultimate form are defeated and captured, with the cover legends' story seemingly wrapped up neatly. The only way a typical third version is gonna happen, imo, is if they retcon lore, which I doubt.
I don't think we'll get one, either, since Eternatus is the only other new legendary and the plot revolves around it being an antagonist. But we've had third versions do similar things before-Emerald changed what happened with the evil teams, Platinum retconned what happened to Team Galactic, BW2 ignored if the previous hero caught Kyurem, and USUM added in the Ultra Recon Squad. Really, most third versions ignore the story of the original pair in the same way that the pair ignores each other's version differences.

I'm not sure if Game Freak will jump on the DLC train, but I don't think we'll see a third version(s), or a sequel. My guess is Sinnoh remakes in 2021.

I don't think we'll get one, either, since Eternatus is the only other new legendary and the plot revolves around it being an antagonist. But we've had third versions do similar things before-Emerald changed what happened with the evil teams, Platinum retconned what happened to Team Galactic, BW2 ignored if the previous hero caught Kyurem, and USUM added in the Ultra Recon Squad. Really, most third versions ignore the story of the original pair in the same way that the pair ignores each other's version differences.
When I say "retcon lore," I mean the actual history of the region. Sure Emerald messed around with the teams, but the big point of it was Rayquaza's relationship with Kyogre and Groudon, something that was as at best briefly touched on in RS. Meanwhile, to make Pokemon Gun, they have to change the history of Galar and details about the legendary wolves, Eternatus, and their relationship in order for Gun to have ground to cover. If they wanted to explore how Eternatus fits into everying in a third version, they wouldn't have closed that door in SwSh.

I would want new Galar games because of the whole thing about the cut of the National Dex. I want the National Dex in Unstoppable Sword and Immovable Shield.

When I say "retcon lore," I mean the actual history of the region. Sure Emerald messed around with the teams, but the big point of it was Rayquaza's relationship with Kyogre and Groudon, something that was as at best briefly touched on in RS. Meanwhile, to make Pokemon Gun, they have to change the history of Galar and details about the legendary wolves, Eternatus, and their relationship in order for Gun to have ground to cover. If they wanted to explore how Eternatus fits into everying in a third version, they wouldn't have closed that door in SwSh.
I don't see why they would have to? They could easily do like what they did in USUM and have Eternatus cause more problems to be focused on while keeping the history the same.

I don't see why they would have to? They could easily do like what they did in USUM and have Eternatus cause more problems to be focused on while keeping the history the same.
The third legendaries were never really a part of the story before tho. Atleast not to the extent Eternatus is. He's completely explored in the games. So I don't see a third version happening. That said, a sequel set in a timeline where Eternatus is not captured or maybe focusing on another Eternatus might be something

Regardless, I'd like to see a revisit to Galar happen only if Sinnoh remakes come first. Like Emerald was.

Honestly, its hard to predict what GF is going to do with a possible third version. In the past, I have tried to guess their pattern, and thus their way of releasing Pokémon games. Truth is...there is no real pattern. It could be a third version, it could be a sequel, or it could be straight up remakes of a older gen, that being 4 in this case. Could even be a mix of all three, who knows?

I myself, as such, have decided to lay off getting any of the games right now. Not just for the games themselves, but also because I have some private cases to deal with.

they could actualy make Eternatus get a secod G-form maybe?

Or give it probably a realy good Hidden ability next games ???
It realy should have gotten better then Pressure.
Taking its a dragon/poison pokemon, a legendary, the big boss...
Maybe it could break out again or the action could have place after some years?

Zacian and Zamazanta actually should also get better secondary and hidden abilities... the status boosting is a little boring actualy...
Especialy taking that both change forms once? maybe G-forms or better armors with it? fighting/steel and fairy/steel look like they should get more.

More legendaries to fight with in post game? new Ggantamax for Galar pokemon and other generations non Kanto pokemon? we got no 27 if they add 27 more then it would be 57 if they add some in gen 4 remakes, think 10 maybe + some megaevolutions(15 or 20) we get 65 gigantamax in 3 games?

A Ultra Beast invasion on Galar?
Legendaries from gen 3, 4 ,5, 6 and 7 colide because of Giratina and Hoopa too?
Imagine Mega Ryquaza, Ultra Necrozma(new way to transform from base from into Ultra directly),
Arceus(could get a new Mega (Titan(for dragons)-Godsend for Arceus) forms),
Zygarde
and Eternatus battling for the tittle the strongest pokemon? (anime event)

I could imagine a game with Gigantamax Venusaur and Blastoise and both getting secondary megas with other types.

Mega evolution vs Dynamax /Gigantamax would be superv...
in my opinion... we could avoid all Z-moves only allowing Necrozma to use it's own...
or add them too if it's not too much? of course?

That or they do a gen 4 remake and either do 3games(Giga-Sword and Giga-shield) to repair mistakes, dissapointments and please all fans better,
or move to gen 9 like cowards admitting their failures with it?

I don't know why but I've felt since the titles Sword and Shield were first announced that there would be a third version. In my head I've been calling it Armour.

I have no evidence or real reasoning...just a feeling! :p

Please note: The thread is from 4 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom