• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

SwSh 3rd Version/Sequels?

Would You Like Some?

• YAY! (I love the new stuff!)

Votes: 20 30.8%
  • NAY! (That's what DLC is for!)

Votes: 22 33.8%
  • We might not get any like with Gen 6...

Votes: 23 35.4%

• Total voters
Except that this is one of the things will never do since they just don't plan on a major rewrite of the of the original story.
Trends can always be broken. If they want to do this to justify making an Ultra Sword/Ultra Shield or a Sword & Shield 2 then they can do it. Like, did you expect them to ditch Gyms or make Legendaries evolve? Never say Game Freak can't do something, because time has shown that trends do not mean anything anymore. Pokemon is no longer the formulaic franchise that it used to be.

Except that this time, the third legendary did get something along with the mascots. That's the difference, and no, Solgaleo and Lunala's phases don't count as form changes.

Hence why I also brought up the possibility that Sword and Shield are more in tune with Ultra Sun and Ultra Moon. Still doesn't stop any possibility of them changing the story in some parts, maybe even expanding it a bit, expanding the dex, expanding post game.

Honestly, its very hard to accurately predict what the next series of the games are going to be. In my case, its either going to be:

1. Third version
  2. Remixes ala USUM
  3. Sequels ala BW2 style

DLC is the final option if none of the above are possible.

Trends can always be broken. If they want to do this to justify making an Ultra Sword/Ultra Shield or a Sword & Shield 2 then they can do it. Like, did you expect them to ditch Gyms or make Legendaries evolve? Never say Game Freak can't do something, because time has shown that trends do not mean anything anymore. Pokemon is no longer the formulaic franchise that it used to be.
The same thing can easily be said about enhanced versions, as they have shown to not make one if they have other priorities as what happened during Gen 6.

The same thing can easily be said about enhanced versions, as they have shown to not make one if they have other priorities as what happened during Gen 6.
Gen 6 only didn't get one because of the 20th anniversary. There's no such anniversary preventing them from making an expanded Galar game unless they only want Gen 8 to last two years for some reason.

A big part of SwSh's story is uncovering the true legend that was hidden by the royal's lies. If any generation wanted to introduce a major undiscovered legendary, SwSh has the perfect opportunity to do so.

Gen 6 only didn't get one because of the 20th anniversary. There's no such anniversary preventing them from making an expanded Galar game unless they only want Gen 8 to last two years for some reason.
Or they can just make remakes to fill in those spots since remakes have been known to perform better in sales than enhanced versions.

Or they can just make remakes to fill in those spots since remakes have been known to perform better in sales than enhanced versions.
However, it's not bad enough that they shouldn't do them, especially considering that it is extremely easy to make an expanded version.

However, it's not bad enough that they shouldn't do them, especially considering that it is extremely easy to make an expanded version.
But really, it's the marketing that really decides which games come out next. Next year is pointing toward Gen 4 remakes in the marketing aspect.

I can see a sequel happening since there are a couple of things that could be hinting that. How some characters ended up, the minor and major league princip and other.

But really, it's the marketing that really decides which games come out next. Next year is pointing toward Gen 4 remakes in the marketing aspect.

I literally cannot see Gen 4 Remakes coming out next year with the Olympics happening in Japan. Merchandising is going to go all out since all eyes are going to be on Japan, tourism will be at its peak, and though Gen 4 is marketable, it is not exactly something that everyone alive knows. If they go with a remake, it's more likely to be a Kanto remake if anything. Besides, since LGPE already exists, making yet another Kanto game is going to be so easy and not too time consuming, considering how the Olympics would make it difficult to spend too much time on it. Otherwise, it'll be Ultra versions of SwSh ring by the same reasoning.

I literally cannot see Gen 4 Remakes coming out next year with the Olympics happening in Japan. Merchandising is going to go all out since all eyes are going to be on Japan, tourism will be at its peak, and though Gen 4 is marketable, it is not exactly something that everyone alive knows. If they go with a remake, it's more likely to be a Kanto remake if anything. Besides, since LGPE already exists, making yet another Kanto game is going to be so easy and not too time consuming, considering how the Olympics would make it difficult to spend too much time on it. Otherwise, it'll be Ultra versions of SwSh ring by the same reasoning.
I can't see them remaking Kanto literally 2 years after they remade Kanto (For the second time at that). Since they have said they weren't planning a Let's Go game, a Johto or even a Kanto sequel Let's Go is out of question. That leaves Dppt remakes, enhanced editions or sequels for Gen 8. I see Gen IV remakes as the most likely choice (If they choose not to take a break). It can be any of the three though.

The merchandise says otherwise, that stuff takes time to plan out and has to go in accordance with what Game Freak is doing. The merchandising next year is mostly, if not all Gen 4 Pokemon. That also goes for the games, and besides, Game Freak can always market an old region to get into the public's minds, that's what they have done with literally every remake ever. Hoenn wasn't in the public's mind during Gen 6 until ORAS had its first teaser. The anime even has to go according to Game Freak, despite the filler seasons, those are only made to buy the anime creators time for the seasons that relate to the games.

And don't even bring that stupid argument "this game is easy to make" because that's false. Video-games are not easy to make no matter its size, coding is the big thing that makes game making a challenge to do. Anyone in the video-game development scene will tell you that it's not as easy as you think.

Last edited:
If Game Freak weren't drowning in negative publicity, I could see them making a third version or Ultra games. But I hope their current place in the hot seat makes them realize they need to step it up and adopt the DLC model instead. I'm definitely not okay with the fandom's current climate, but if the worthwhile criticism drives positive action then at least it wasn't all for nothing.

The merchandising next year is mostly, if not all Gen 4 Pokemon.
This can't be right. Paul Ryan just said that Dialga, Palkia, Arceus, Darkrai and Pachirisu will be re-released, which is a far cry from filling up the calendar. There will be plenty of non-Sinnoh merchandise (including Unova-only keychains, and HGSS-themed figurines not shown on that page), which only makes sense due to the anime featuring all regions (and merchandise/TCG not sticking to a single region in general). Even Paul Ryan had to put a lid on his speculation when he finally realized what the anime was doing.

Piplup and Lucario's random inclusion in Movie 20 was more suspicious, and we all know how that turned out.

It's a shame that Sw/Sh seem designed to be the only galar games, because imo BW2-style sequels to them could potentially end up being some of the best games in the series. The game is a great foundation imo, and with more optional areas + a story without breakneck pacing, it'd be really awesome.

Due to the glaring absence of most sinnoh mons in the dex, I'm still thinking we'll get sinnoh remakes next year. I'm more interested to see how gamefreak handles 2021, because I could easily see them rushing out a new generation to celebrate the 25th anniversary.

I can't see them remaking Kanto literally 2 years after they remade Kanto (For the second time at that). Since they have said they weren't planning a Let's Go game, a Johto or even a Kanto sequel Let's Go is out of question.

It won't be another remake obviously. It's more of like an upgraded version of LGPE that would make it more like the mainline games if anything. I can actually see them including a new stadium where Dynamax is enabled, particularly since so many Kanto mons got gigantamax forms.

And don't even bring that stupid argument "this game is easy to make" because that's false. Video-games are not easy to make no matter its size, coding is the big thing that makes game making a challenge to do. Anyone in the video-game development scene will tell you that it's not as easy as you think.

An upgraded version of LGPE or SwSh is clearly easier to make than DP remakes since they would already have most of the codes down for LGPE/SwSh... For DP remakes, they'd have to do it from scratch. If it's coming up next year, it would have been in the works for a while now.

My prediction
2020: LGPE Gigantamaxed or Gigantamaxed SwSh or nothing
2021: Gigantamaxed SwSh or DP Remakes
2022: DP Remakes

Last edited:
I really don't want their to be a third version since I already put so much into Sword. The story is already wrapped up very nicely and there's really no loose ends or alterations to tie up or explore. I'd much rather see double remakes this Generation, something that has never been done before and I've been asking for since Gen 6, I wholeheartedly believed Kanto remakes could've been the game after ORAS but of course we ended up getting those a few years later on the Switch as LGPE, but I think that Gen 8 could be the groundwork to have dual remakes, and what I mean by that is paired Sinnoh remakes, followed by paired "Let's Go!" inspired Johto remakes (but with Abilities and items back in, just with the more casual playstyle, GO mechanics, etc). If I was the CEO at Gamefreak and the mastermind behind the Pokemon games, that's what I would do.

2019: Sword and Shield
2020: Break year
2021: Sinnoh Remakes
2022: Let's Go! Johto Remakes

With those two games, they could shove another 200-300ish of the missing Pokemon into each one, and by 2022 we'd have a National Dex again.

Let's Go-games are out of the question. I also think designing on the Switch is a lot more time-consuming; assets are probably more difficult to create and the 3D effects more demanding.

This might be a big factor whether we'll get sequals/3rd versions or not. Right now I personally don't think it's that likely; Sword/Shield's plot doesn't leave much space and Eternatus' kind of handled like a box-legendary to begin with.

I'm not sure if they'll deviate from their yearly formula of releasing an annual game, though. There might be some wild ideas at GameFreak. But I do think they should be a bit careful considering the Sw/Sh backlash; they shouldn't pull another Ultra Sun / Ultra Moon; the 60 euro pricetag and the Switch hardware should be used to its full advantage. It would be wasted on a 'simple' third version and feel like a blatant cash-grab.

Gen IV remakes next year or in 2021 with a break in 2020 is my guess.

Please note: The thread is from 4 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom