• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

SwSh 3rd Version/Sequels?

Would You Like Some?

• YAY! (I love the new stuff!)

Votes: 20 30.8%
  • NAY! (That's what DLC is for!)

Votes: 22 33.8%
  • We might not get any like with Gen 6...

Votes: 23 35.4%

• Total voters
I PERSONALLY call it 8 for one reason: there is zero connectivity to other Gen 7 games, but it will have connectivity to SwSh, making it a pseudo-Gen 8 game in my opinion.
That’s through home. By that logic, BW, BW2, XY, ORAS, SM, USUM will be a part of the same generation due to Bank.
SwSh has the potential to have zero connectivity with the next games outside of home due to Dexit, so this criteria falls apart quite easily.

I think Gen 8 has the potential to be the longest generation to-date

That's what I thought initially but GF's design philosophy for SwSh suggests otherwise. There is literally no longevity to the game. Them not wanting to patch in all pokemon, cutting out all megas and z-moves altogether and the lack of any substantial postgame all points towards a game with no longevity which just means their intention is to keep churning new games out.

That’s through home. By that logic, BW, BW2, XY, ORAS, SM, USUM will be a part of the same generation due to Bank.
SwSh has the potential to have zero connectivity with the next games outside of home due to Dexit, so this criteria falls apart quite easily.

Generations have never been defined by that so I won't go that far. I think it being on another console is good enough to consider it the next generation (i.e. Generation 8). There's also the bonus Pikachu/Eevee connectivity.

I think if there is a Pokémon game that truly needs an enhanced version it is Sword and Shield. They could add the models to the missing Pokémon that are already in the game and expand the Wild Area.

They could also give characters like Marnie, Bede and Oleana more screentime instead of only focusing on Hop and Leon.

Although I would rather get Sinnoh remakes. Or Unova remakes since it will be their 10th anniversary soon but I guess they won't make those before the Sinnoh remakes which is too bad.

I think Sinnoh is OK but I also don't care for these games all that much nowadays. They were cool when they first came out and introduced a lot of new mechanics but Black and White feels more timeless since there are aspects that you can appreciate about it that aren't tied to game mechanics or nostalgia.

That'll just cement the fact that putting in the models were doable in the base game and they waited for people to spend $60 or $120 beforehand.

Everyone and their brother recognizes that fact by now. At least this way, they’d be able to save a bit of face.

Of course, unless they’re planning on seriously revamping SwSh in the third version, the best thing to do would be to release DLC.

Better late than never?
I personally expect them to do that in a non-Galar game, having a game that’s 90% the same with full Dex at full price right a year after release that probably isn’t DLC will be probably PR suicide, and without the appeal of new generations it might be the least selling third version.

I personally expect them to do that in a non-Galar game, having a game that’s 90% the same with full Dex at full price right a year after release that probably isn’t DLC will be probably PR suicide, and without the appeal of new generations it might be the least selling third version.

Yeah, I hope you're right and that they will make a new game or a remake instead of a third version.

Although I think if they didn't and made a third version anyway people would still buy it simply because they want access to their old favorite Pokémon. I'm just as disappointed in the removal of the National Dex as everyone else but I still bought Pokémon Shield because I wanted to use the new Pokémon.

I think a lot of other people feel the same, they aren't necessarily happy about getting less content than usual but also don't want to miss out on the new content either.

If it actually fixes some of Sword & Shield's problems people won't be as pissed off.
I assure you the protests are going to be about how everything could be in the base game and how GameFreak essentially baited people into spending $120 on the base games and now are holding the complete game with further cost.

If I know this fandom, this is undoubtably the future response.

Yeah, people would definitely be very pissed off with a "GigaSword and GigaShield". We already saw the backlash with USUM, a game that many already felt didn't do enough to justify spending the same amount of money as they did on their predecessor. A third version of Sword and Shield would fall into the same trap, except now it would follow the backlash it got on the original games, adding more content that people would argue should've been present in the first and should've been delayed to account for it, and be more expensive since it's now a $60 price tag instead of $40, so the backlash would certainly be even worse then those games.

Watch Game Freak do another paired Galar release, but they completely replace Dynamax with different gimmick (like Crowned Forms for more Pokémon than the legends), resulting in a different narrative/lore behind Galar's culture.

The looming uncertainty of how an updated game might come about is the main reason I am holding off getting the latest games, even if these games turned out to be well-crafted game. Ultra Sun and Ultra Moon was a surprise that I disliked since it's more or less the same game but upgraded, and as you might be able to tell, I prefer to get a game that will not be superseded by a later version. Basically I am getting out of the cycle of getting versions that are not the most definitive ones.

Thank you for reading.

I can't believe it, but there's actually someone who screen-capped a 4chan post and put them on Instagram of all places rather than Twitter.

Seems like a troll post, but I'd like a second opinion.

We are getting another regional Meowth? And in a third version? This must be a joke. Also, is there any evidence on SwSh being originally for mobiles/3DS aside from "contacts"? Also, Kalos would be getting the short end of the stick again if it ends up being post-game content.

Oh, absolute BS. Game Freak thought the Switch would flop, despite none of Nintendo's handheld consoles ever flopping? And planned to put another game on the 3DS even after all the lag? They put time into developing a game for the sheer purpose of it flopping, and had to rush to put SwSh on the Switch after LGPE's release-forget about how the Switch performed from 2016-2018, it's LGPE that changed their mind!

"This is why the poster in your home lists Charizard, Gengar, and Machamp as popular Galar region Pokemon" except a) these are all Pokemon in Galar and have GMaxes and b) this is in Hop's home, not yours. This idiot didn't even play the game before they made their fake.

"We had a dex cut but we added a whole fucking Kalos postgame so that people can get XY Pokemon, as if you can't catch Kalos Pokemon in Galar"

It just goes to show you-as long as you can use a keyboard, anyone who gets click for "leaks" will be super invested in what you say.

I can't believe it, but there's actually someone who screen-capped a 4chan post and put them on Instagram of all places rather than Twitter.

Hey, that account posted a picture of the supposed leaker, I guess in an attempt to make the leak look more credible.
861Grimmsnarl.png

Leak is 100% bait.

Why are people so dead set on making these "SwSh were intentionally sent out to die" theories? No, there's no way they'd put so much resources and time into a game just so it can fail, it would be absolutely stupid from a business perspective and no matter how you feel about them GF and TCPi would not sabotage their own game and risk losing money over it.

Please note: The thread is from 4 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom