• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Review S06 EP20: A Tail with a Twist ・ EP21: Taming of the Shroomish

Dogasu

ロケット団よ永遠
Reaction score
I'm using my translations for the episode titles today since I can't find the ones that Bulbagarden uses at the moment:

Japanese Episode 008: "Habunake VS Kimori! The Dust Attack of Certain Kills!!"
American Episode 008: "A Tail with a Twist"

0116.jpg

Today, we get to see more of Kimori in action while Musashi fights against a Habunake in one of the funniest battles ever.

And then later today...

Japanese Episode 009: "How Bizarre! The Riddle of the Kinokoko Mansion!?"
American Episode 009: "Taming of the Shroomish"

0123.jpg

It's the first real filler episode of the series as Satoshi-tachi help out a house full of Kinokoko. But we also get to see the group split up a bit, showing us how certain characters act around each other without having everyone else around.

Post your thoughts about the episodes here. Also, please avoid posting spoilers for events that happen in future episodes since this isn't the Anime Spoilers forum.

Originally posted by Dogasu
Japanese Episode 008: "Habunake VS Kimori! The Dust Attack of Certain Kills!!"
While "to dust" may be one translation of hataku, I don't think it's the one you want. I believe "to strike" is closer to the intended meaning.

Well, maybe it's meant to go both ways, as there *was* a lot of dust kicked up in it.

And I really didn't like that ep. I thought the Jesse vs Seviper fight was the only thing it really had going for it. And hilarious as it was (I was laughing so hard it triggered a coughing fit), I found the rest to be quite boring.

Note--did anyone else notice that Jesse's hair grew back instantly? At least in "Tracey Gets Bugged", it stayed short until the next episode...

And dude! They missed a great joke! Meowth commented that Seviper loves 'all things fruity' and no one says anything about James! Doesn't that seem *exactly* like something they'd do?

Anway, the next ep was...meh. OK, they're spores. Spores spread on the wind. Spores will not be attached to a certain area, due to this. So why did they love that little woodland and the house so much? The writers weren't paying attention again, were they?

Oh, and the CC gives the man's name as "Alex", so you know.

Notice Ash has yet to wonder where Arbok and Wheezing went. Think he even notices?

Note--did anyone else notice that Jesse's hair grew back instantly? At least in "Tracey Gets Bugged", it stayed short until the next episode...

Heh, Doctor Proctor's prescribed treatment for every ailment: superglue!

Gawd, I was SO waiting for something more to come of that "fruity" remark... the fact that nothing did was the biggest surprise, I think.

And in regards to the second episode, is it just me or did Ash and those Shroomish go a little over the top with their assault on Team Rocket? I mean, first Stun Spore then Leech Seed then Thunder... amazing they even have the ability to deliver their trademark lines at the end.

EDIT: Oh yeah. Something I commented about on the Serebii boards was Jessie's named "attacks". In the original, didn't they specifically say that she used Scary Face in addition to Fury Swipes and Mega Kick?

Last edited:
*watches both episodes* Yay! Sock party!

A Tail with a Twist:
Seviper. Bad. Ouch. First of all, it didn't seemed coloured correctly. I've always seen Seviper as one with more rich colours, but maybe that's just me. I also think its voice could've been a bit more hissy. At least poison tail was cool.

Like Blackjack said with the Shroomish, the Seviper wasn't very realistic compared to a real snake. Snakes eat meat, and depending on the the species of snake, they usually eat about once a month. So why was Seviper eating tons of fruit (and rice balls)? Its movements didn't seem very accurate either, especially when it was slithering away from Ash and friends.

Originally posted by Blackjack Gabbiani
Totally! I watched that part of that epi at Crimson_flygon's house, and I said something like, "Watch, it will probably be back to normal in the next episode." Then it was back and she said, "More like two seconds." :rolleyes:

*checks "Who's That Pokémon" for spelling errors* Okay, we're all good there.

Why does Kimori have to be such a rebel? Although it was cool how it trained itself, Ash never would've trained it. :lol: I like the way they do still shots coloured in the different style, I've seen a lot more of those in the AG. The way Kimori was helping Achamo was so cute! Haruka May and Achamo were so kawaii together!!

I was happy and genuinely surprised to hear a remix of the "Advance Adventure" in both episodes! The music the dub chooses keep on getting better. (Nobody mention AG6....the music just fine for us who didn't see the original). The ending of the song itself finishes battle well, IMO.

The Taming of the Shroomish:
Chainsaws! :-D (inside joke with "The Reckoning")

My favourite scene was when Haruka May was dragging brocj to the "haunted" mansion, calling him a little girl and stuff. Their whole exchange was hilarious! :lol:

I found this epi strangely on the sad side, especially when Max was explaining how the Shroomish were in pain. But the hanky made the little guy look worse, IMO. XD

TR's role up until the part when they entered the mansion was pretty funny. They way they got cooked was kinda overdoing it.

Yeah, I was wondering why they didn't mention a name for that guy. So it's Alex. It was kinda funny how they showed him as a toddler looking exactly the same, including clothes, but shorter. Kinda uncreative. XD

OMG... THEY USED THE WORD "RICEBALL"!! :eek:

I'm surprised no one else has commented on that fact yet. :)

The Jessie vs. Seviper fight was so cool. :D I've noticed that Team Rocket seems to be getting more air time on the show. Jessie is one of my favorite characters, (okay, so I like almost all the characters), and it was cool to see her catch a new Pokemon!

I was also very happy with the fact that they kept the BGM from "Advance Adventure". ^_^

LOL, Hitchi, from now on we'll all be checking the "Who's that Pokemon" to see if 4Kids trips up again. :p

Blllrt.

Seviper ep::

Jessie vs. Seviper... well. I knew how she caught it, beforehand. But actually seeing it... it was absolutely priceless. Heh.

Seviper itself was so cool. ; _ ; I love it muchly. It's one of my favourite Pokemon in the games, and I'm fairly pleased with how it looks/acts/sounds in the anime. ^^;

I'm finding the whole Cacnea <3 James thing to be wearing thin, already. Okay, it was funny the first time I saw it (in the raw of a later ep), and it was still amusing in the earlier dub eps. But, I dunno. It's just not half as fun as Victreebel and James were. ;x;

Shroomish ep::

Wow, the pun in the episode title didn't make me wince. I'm impressed XD;;

Shroomish-dude (okay, Alex. *makes note of this*) was... interesting. I kinda wanted to see him playing with the Shroomish again, like he said he would. You know, on the tree swing. :E

I was kinda surprised May was able to deliver a command to Torchic, and have it listen and do exactly what she said, flawlessly. And -not- wind up pecking/ember-ing someone else. As much as I love Torchic, I was beginning to worry that it would continue to be completely useless in battle. */swt*

... and I agree that the handkerchief looked so stupid on that one Shroomish. XD;;; I kinda... felt bad for it. Max has poor taste in Poké-fashion.

Originally posted by GeneralStar
EDIT: Oh yeah. Something I commented about on the Serebii boards was Jessie's named "attacks". In the original, didn't they specifically say that she used Scary Face in addition to Fury Swipes and Mega Kick?
Yes, they did.

Originally posted by Blackjack Gabbiani
Oh, and the CC gives the man's name as "Alex", so you know.

Really? Cool. *Can't wait to see this and all the other new eps past You're a Star, Larvitar.*

Now I can finally say there's someone in the Pokemon universe with the same name as me! :-D

Originally posted by Dogasu
It's the first real filler episode of the series

You mean the Zigzagoon episode wasn't filler?

One dumb comment, though: Brock was telling May about needing all these supplies for "emergencies" and "just in case" and stuff, and then the dirty side of my mind is telling me that there's a joke to be made there.

"A Tail With A Twist" - I thought it was a pretty good episode. And I liked the way they introduced Seviper. That was cool! And I was surprised that Treecko lost that little battle there. But, anyway, the part when Jessie's hair got cut off was so hilarious! ^_^ And it was funny when she used FURY Swipes (with emphasis on the fury, and who said that again?) and Mega Kick, too. And I also thought it was interesting that they actually got to say rice balls, lol. It was cool that Jessie caught the Seviper though. And I liked the rest of the episode too. The part when Treecko was training itself was really cool! I loved that new move it learned, even though it didn't really have a name. And it was so cool how Treecko used that attack in it's second battle with Seviper! Oh, and I ablsolutely loved the BGM from Advanced Adventure! Heh....I knew I recognized that song from somewhere. Overall, this was a really good episode, so I give it a 9 out of 10! :-D

"Taming Of The Shroomish" - I thought this episode was good, but I think I liked the first one better. Okay, anyway, I liked how they all split up. That was cool! And it was really funny when those people were talking to May about the mansion being haunted, and she was like "Really? Cool!". LOL. And I liked the part when Ash and Max found the Shroomish. However, I do think that the handkerchief was kind of unnecessary. Anyway, I liked Alex's story about how he liked playing with the Shroomish and all. That was cool! And it was funny to see all those Shroomish in that mansion! LOL. And yeah....I also thought it was a little over the top how the Shroomish, May's Torchic, and Pikachu all used their attacks on Team Rocket, especially the Stun Spore attack plus the Leech Seed attack. I mean, not only was Team Rocket probably extremely weak after all that, but they didn't even get stun spored that many times in the episode "Whichever Way The Winds Blow"! :eek: I feel sorry for Team Rocket. It's a good thing they always end up okay though. :-D Oh, and did anyone else notice that they also played the Advanced Adventure BGM in this episode as well? It was played during that battle with Team Rocket. Anyway, I really liked the ending of the episode with Alex saying he was still gonna tear down the mansion, but that he was going to replant all the trees. That was cool! So, overall, it was a pretty good episode, and I give it an 8 out of 10! ^_^

Last edited:
Re: Re: "A Tail with a Twist" and "Taming of the Shroomish" Review Thread

Originally posted by Orange Soda
You mean the Zigzagoon episode wasn't filler?

Well, that's debatable. A lot of people will say it isn't because it's Haruka's and Satoshi's first trainer battle in the Houen region, while others will say that that really isn't that big a deal.

Of course, there's also that other reason why people don't call that episode a filler, but since this isn't the Anime Spoilers forum I won't say any more about it.

Regardless of whether or not you thought the Zigzagoon episode was a filler or not, I think everyone can pretty much agree that the Shroomish episode is a filler. I mean, can anyone think of anything that happened in this episode that contributed to the overall plot?

Originally posted by YumeHeart
OMG... THEY USED THE WORD "RICEBALL"!! :eek:

I'm surprised no one else has commented on that fact yet. :)
Oh yeah. ^_^ I was going to, but I.....uh....didn't. ^_^

(You see, I'm really dorky, and when I'm watching the episodes I make a mental list of things I'm going to mention when I got on Bulbagarden. XD So I don't always remember all of my list. I have no life. XD)

So, something else I was going to say....I wish Ash would've caught a Shroomish and named it Mitch. A Breloom would be really cool to see later on, with its high attack and fighting half. And Mitch just because I feel like it. :p

Originally posted by PokemonTrainerLisa
Oh, and did anyone else notice that they also played the Advanced Adventure BGM in this episode as well?
Yep:
I was happy and genuinely surprised to hear a remix of the "Advance Adventure" in both episodes!

As for the Shroomish epi not being a filler, the only thing I can think of to support that opinion is the first arrival in Rustboro. *shrugs* I don't really care if it's a filler or not.

Originally posted by Hitchi
As for the Shroomish epi not being a filler, the only thing I can think of to support that opinion is the first arrival in Rustboro.

Except it wasn't Rustboro. The announcer guy said they were stopping there on their way to Rustboro.

I stand corrected. Still, I'm surprised they made such a large city for just a filler city. They're usually little towns or villages.

A Tail with a Twist: An AWESOME! episode. It started out really boring, but picked up suring the treecko vs seviper battle and kept up from there. The battles in this episode were really cool looking and well coregraphed. I love the new animation!! TR stole the show like usall and had all the best lines. Jessie's battle with seviper is one of THE most hilarious scenes EVER, in the history of pokemon. I guess no one else noticed, but James used the japanese name for mega kick in this episode. he said "Megaton Kick". Treecko's training was cool, as was the final battle of the episode. I thought the attack Treecko was learning was Slam, did they say what it was in the japanese version. Also, for some reason they used Habuneku's voice AND a new dubbed seviper voice. All the scenes where it was just hissing and making weird gurgly sounds were its japanese voice, then they dubbed it saying its name. overall, 4 stars

Taming of the Shroomish: Didn't they say the name of the town was.....Torque Town? ^_^;;;;. Anyway.....*yawn* this episode was pretty boring. Hoen is great with the plot episodes, but when they do a filler they really do a filler. It had a few good scenes and lines in it. TR of course had all the best scenes, and I liked how they were defeated. Shroomish had a decent dub voice, but I think I liked Kinokoko's voice more. The scene's between May and Brock were really cute, and I kept thinking they were acting like a married couple. Like that scene where May was window shopping and Brock wasn't too enthuisastic, I was thinking "He sounds like her husband". Hehehe, May/Brock shipping!!!! Other than that stuff, the rest of the episode was boring. the plot was rather cliched, and that Shroomish guy just appeared randomly out of thin air, and added nohing to the episode. I found him to be one of the more boring Characters of the day in the Pokemon series. overall, 2 stars.

Originally posted by Hitchi
I was happy and genuinely surprised to hear a remix of the "Advance Adventure" in both episodes!

Oh, I guess I missed that when I read your first post, Hitchi. LOL. ^_^

I'm surprised nobody mentioned James' line after a few unsuccessful attempts to get Seviper: "Next time, why don't we try to catch something easier, like a taxi?" :-D

And I agree, Jessie's battle with Seviper was hilarious! When Seviper chomped off her hair, I thought it was going to eat it next, but it didn't. :p

Oh yeah, and TR doing their motto while still holding the chainsaws was...scary.

A Tail with a Twist

Fun little character-building episode starring Treecko. We got some info on his personality and how he's the type to not take losing too well. Liked the little training scene with him and how he protected Torchic from Seviper. Shame all of Seviper's badassness went out the window the minute Jessie caught it, though I liked hearing the Japanese AG opening in instrumental version during the battle since that's always been one of my favorite pieces of BGM. It was of course nice to see Jessie get her second serpent Pokemon, shame it got spanked easily by Treecko though. The group Pokemon interaction scene was nice, still can't believe how few Pokemon they actually have with them right now. Kinda sucked Torchic didn't Ember Seviper to the face when cornered but it was probably too scared to try that. Though it was weird Seviper didn't try to eat Torchic, it is a chick after all but this is Pokemon and that can't happen. It just feels awkward seeing a viper going around eating fruit. :p

Please note: The thread is from 11 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom