• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Review S06 EP30: On a Wingull and a Prayer!

Dogasu

ロケット団よ永遠
Reaction score
"On a Prayer and a Wingull!" Review Thread

Japanese Episode 018: "Old Man Briney and Peeko the Wingull!"
American Episode 018: "On a Wingull and a Prayer!"

0327.jpg

Satoshi and the gang meet Old Man Hagi (Briney) to get a ferry to Muro (Dewford) Town. But when his beloved Peeko is kidnapped by Team Aqua, it's up to Satoshi and the group to rescue it!

Post your thoughts about the episodes here. Also, please avoid posting spoilers for events that happen in future episodes since this isn't the Anime Spoilers forum.

Last edited:
...yes, yes, of *course* he happens to have a high-powered ship. Don't all old men?

Why do I get the feeling that Briney's vision of himself as a young man is highly idealized?

I know it's not specific to the show, but the way Wingull's wings bend is just disturbing.

Aqua guy's voice goes between sounding like Brock and sounding like Pegasus. Given that they have different VAs, who was behind it?

Doesn't Brock's line about the guy 'meeting up with his buddies' sound like the Aqua is going to go get drunk in the middle of the ocean or something?

"Shining Star". I feel like they're reading my fics, but then I'm paranoid.

Love that submarine. Love it. So...that guy's a mid-level agent, right? And even in Japan, there's no sign of Archie (heeeeeey, kinda like around--*cuts off comment about Archaic and his long-missing Shipping List*) Wow, this didn't happen with the Rockets. We saw Giovanni in what, the 7th episode or something? (what number was the St Anne ep?)

I bet Archie will sound like Surge. I don't know why. I also bet Maxie will sound like Prof. Sebastian.

And I'm sorry, but those are *not* appropiate names for gang leaders.

But I digress.

Oh yes. "You haven't seen the last of me!" Tell me, have the writers forgotten about him? It seems like something they'd do.

The St. Anne Episode... I think it was number 15...

First off, that old guy's pirate accent bugged me... and "Briney"... I don't remember whether or not he was even named in the games. Either way it's not a very good name, but after a few hundred episodes you start to run out of names :/ .

Second off, the scene where Crawdaughnt was first threatening Peeko was cool. I had to mention that..

And does anyone know what the title is a pun on?

Anyways, it was a good episode, other than that old guy. Plus it had a speedboat chase!

Yes, his name was Mr. Briney in the games. Peecko, too.

Let us commiserate about the pasta resturant. :bawling: (pasta = my favourite food) I wanted to eat there, even though it was stuck in the TV. XD Is teh best.

The Aqua dude was cool. Crawdaunt seemed bigger than it did in the last epi. I found it odd how it used its attacks through its claws. My brother said, "Does it have like a hidden mouth in there or something?" :rolleyes: Although TA's wardrobe needs mega improvement. It looks like they broke out of jail and stole some jeans.
Blackjack Gabbiani said:
Doesn't Brock's line about the guy 'meeting up with his buddies' sound like the Aqua is going to go get drunk in the middle of the ocean or something?
Not exactly...

The way the speedboat was stored seemed totally unrealistic. Though I liked how his other boat TA dude was driving flew in the air. :p

I liked how Haruka May was the 'heroine" in this epi. It was kind of disappointing to see the look on her face when Briney bashed her. I like how Ash-tachi "figured out" the mystery.

Does anyone know what they said at the end when May was feeding Peecko and they were talking about the pasta place? I had to keep my TV musted. -.-'

Rating: 7/10

Hyper Togepi said:
And does anyone know what the title is a pun on?

The cliché "on a wing and a prayer", i.e: relying on good fortune.

Anyhoo. Old Man Briney is cool <3 *becomes a fangirl* Peeko was cute, too. I loved TR's line about 'the clueless look in it's eyes; it'd be perfect for us!'. *snerk*

The Wingull!boat was adorable, even if it was predictable that he was going to have a SEEKRET hidden ship. Duhur.

And I really did like Max and Brock's amazing skills at detective reasoning. Gosh. I wasn't expecting so much common sense, all at once.

Yeah the trio's detective work was good. Briney's pirate accent seemed to fit with his "retired sea captain" character. I'm surprised nobody mentioned May's line:

"Remember what I said about Mr. Briney? He travelled the seven sails in his quaking ship, and stayed awake the whole time!" :sweatlol:

BTW, Dogasu, the title is backwards. It's "On a Wingull and a Prayer!" which is a play off the saying "on a wing and a prayer."

Last edited:
Geodude said:
BTW, Dogasu, the title is backwards. It's "On a Wingull and a Prayer!" which is a play off the saying "on a wing and a prayer."

Thanks. I fixed it.

And 4Kids gave Old Man Briney the exact voice I'd predicted they gave him. Please hire some new VA's, 4Kids.

I thought it fit though. Since when do you see an old sea captain without some type of pirate accent? :p

*is still laughing over May's description of Briney*

Yeah, I thought this episode was pretty good. And I loved the beginning with the restaurant bit, and all. And it was funny when she said that she read about the restaurant online, and the date was from 10 years ago! LOL. Oh, and I thought it was interesting how May was the first one to meet Mr. Briney. And it was so funny when she was explaining to them what he said about the seven seas and everything! LOL. And I really liked how the rest of the group "figured out" the mystery, too. And I kinda figured that the same Team Aqua guy from the last episode would be in this episode as well. And I agree with Hitchi about Team Aqua's uniform needing improvement. Oh, and I liked how that TA guy took Mr. Briney's boat, probably thinking he wouldn't have another one, and then we find out that he does have another one. That was funny. And I liked the Wingull boat! It was cool! And fast, too! ^_^ Oh, and I really liked the part when Ash got on top of the boat. That was cool! :-D And, I also liked how they were playing Advance Adventure at that time. And that part when the TA guy's boat went right over Ash and Pikachu was really cool! And I thought Ash was gonna get hurt there for a minute, but I'm glad that he didn't. Oh, and I didn't want that TA guy to get away, but the submarine he used was cool. And it was funny how someone's stomach growled at the end. I think it was Max's, but I couldn't really tell. Oh, and I think it was cool that they actually got to eat the pasta from the restaurant that they wanted, even though they didn't show it. And, overall, this was a really cool episode.

Rating: 8 out of 10

Originally posted by Hitchi
Does anyone know what they said at the end when May was feeding Peecko and they were talking about the pasta place?

I'd like to know that too, cause my TV station came back a little late then, so I don't know how much of the ending I missed. I mean, when it came back, May asked a question (don't know what it was) and gave Peeko some food. Although, I did hear her say something about the pasta place after that. But, I don't remember what she said, so I'll have to check my tape.

Briney said that his best friend ran that place for years, and that he would call him and get him to make some pasta for all of them.

I really liked today's episode. :) Peecko is pretty cute, and I agree with Blackjack in that it's weird how their wings bend like that. I thought Brock's comment about that Wingull boat being a ship was pretty funny, especially the way he said it. :) That Team Aqua grunt annoyed me though.

Last edited:
Dogasu said:
Thanks. I fixed it.

And 4Kids gave Old Man Briney the exact voice I'd predicted they gave him. Please hire some new VA's, 4Kids.
*raises hand to be hired* Not for Briney, I mean....

At least we know Pokémon is at least somewhat futuristic. The internet didn't publicly exist ten years ago. :p Unless it said something different in the original.

Thanks for the fill in, Geodude.

I would've watched yesterday's ep if Fox Box didn't make that stupid announcement last week. They switched the times of Sonic X and Shaman King, so now Sonic comes on the same time as Pokemon.

Hey, I think Team Aqua's outfit is cool. Better than Team Magma at least. Look much more normal and inconspicuous (?). I mean, if you wanted to choose a uniform for your gang (that's probably always hiding from the govornment), which would you go with -- full-body black outfits with big red R's on them, hoody/ robe type things with big horns on the top, or a nice, normal-looking sailor outfit.

Please note: The thread is from 20 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom