• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

4Kids Entertainment files for bankruptcy: Former dubber goes bankrupt

Status
Not open for further replies.
4kids did great with Pokemon; bad when it comes to keeping true to the original, but a great dub nevertheless. I liked their other dubs too.. Though the Sonic voice actor swap..

Dang that's too bad. Always did enjoy most of there shows and they did try to keep saturday morning cartoons around for as long as they could.

hope they can pull outta this and keep working on shows somehow.

Their CW block is running on fumes. All they're airing is Sonic X reruns from 5 years ago, old Yugioh from nearly a decade ago, an extremely hacked version of Dragonball Kai, and some Dinosaur King.

Almost their entire block is reruns. They probably can't even afford to produce new shows.

^That's nice mang.

Seriously though, probably the best block of cartoons for those of us without cable, imo.

At first I thought 4Kids was just bad at handling dubs (not that I have the same view) except for Ninja Turtles, but I found out why people had a reason to hate them, although they hated them for another reason. I am guessing now Yugioh will be more justly handled.

Thanks for reading.

Their CW block is running on fumes. All they're airing is Sonic X reruns from 5 years ago, old Yugioh from nearly a decade ago, an extremely hacked version of Dragonball Kai, and some Dinosaur King.

Almost their entire block is reruns. They probably can't even afford to produce new shows.
Actually, their only new show is Yu-Gi-Oh 5d's. Though, technically DBZ Kai is new to network tv, even though it airs on Nicktoons first. Also, they stopped airing Dinosaur King months ago.

Which says a lot when 90% of your programming block is either reruns or shows that also air on other networks.

4kids is done. They don't have enough money to financially produce shows at this point.

I wonder what would've happened to localization if this happened 13... or 14? years ago...

I wonder what would've happened to localization if this happened 13... or 14? years ago...

4kids as a company was in its infancy over a decade ago. They also functioned more on licensing and less on TV shows back then.

4kids isn't a magical company that was Pokemon's only hope in the U.S. If 4kids didn't exist, Pokemon would have been dubbed by any other company that existed at the time and wanted to take a chance with it.

4kids did great with Pokemon; bad when it comes to keeping true to the original, but a great dub nevertheless.

This. Add in the cheesy marketing (which did a good job in bringing in the target audience aka kids), and you got a damn popular show.

4kids did great with Pokemon; bad when it comes to keeping true to the original, but a great dub nevertheless. I liked their other dubs too.. Though the Sonic voice actor swap..

Oh definitely! Great voice characterisations, great scripts, and most importantly I felt like they really cared about the show. This makes the unfaithfulness to the original dub forgivable IMO.

Oh definitely! Great voice characterisations, great scripts, and most importantly I felt like they really cared about the show. This makes the unfaithfulness to the original dub forgivable IMO.

Is this why Lisa Ortiz played every single filler girl in Johto, making Johto even more tedious than it should have been because every female character sounded exactly the same?

I think its funny that KidsWB died only 2 years after Pokemon left their network, and 4kids themselves have been struggling to keep afloat ever since. I'm amazed they lasted this long, over 5 years, without Pokemon.

Oh definitely! Great voice characterisations, great scripts, and most importantly I felt like they really cared about the show.

Yes, 4Kids showed only the most tender, loving care to Pokemon, unrivaled by any other company to date for certain. Bar none.

As for their bankruptcy, I can only point directly at the company and do a Nelson laugh. Sayonara, 4Kids! We'll miss you and your digital paint!

Aside: The only thing I truly regret about this news is that the resolution for this season of Yu-Gi-Oh!:TAS is pretty much spoiled now, darn.

Last edited:
I think some of us would really like to throw a party for this. I'll be sure to bring some "jelly-filled donuts".

See what I did there?

Ahh. I remember first getting into Pokemon and Kirby thanks to their dubs. I guess this had to happen sooner or later, though. D:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom