• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

4Kids Entertainment files for bankruptcy: Former dubber goes bankrupt

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't like their policies when dubbing the Pokémon animé (never saw any other of their dubs), but I do think it is a shame that some people may lose their jobs in the process of this.

I personally was too young to remember the anime dub to well, but I found it entertaining

Though it is very much flawed, the 4Kids dub was nice in its own way, and it still holds a lot of nostalgic value for me

One thing I can say, the theme songs under 4kids were awesome. So while I don't consider it a tragedy, I am a little sad to see 4kids go as far as Pokemon is concerned (will never forgive them for Yu-gi-oh though). It seems clear to me that while they didn't turn out well, the dubs did show a bit of effort at least.

Never really a fan, so I don't really care. And let's not get started on Sonic X

It wasn't just Pokemon that kept the network afloat for such a long time. Yu-Gi-Oh! also contributed heavily to 4Kids' success, and still remains a cornerstone to 4Kids' lineup on the CW network up until this point.

I think its funny that KidsWB died only 2 years after Pokemon left their network, and 4kids themselves have been struggling to keep afloat ever since. I'm amazed they lasted this long, over 5 years, without Pokemon.

The parent networks of The CW (Warner Bros and CBS) shut down the Kids! WB block primarily because the FCC placed heavier childrens' advertising limits, and competition from other networks airing at the same time (primarily Disney's ABC block). The block was then sold to 4Kids. It had absolutely little to do with Pokemon "leaving the network," per say.

It wasn't just Pokemon that kept the programming block afloat for such a long time. Yu-Gi-Oh! also contributed heavily to 4Kids' success, and still remains a cornerstone to 4Kids' lineup on the CW network up until this point. The "original" Yu-Gi-Oh! still aired on the Kids WB! block for a few more months before the series ended.

4Kids never really owned a share of Kids! WB prior to May 2008; they simply aired 3 shows on the network at that time. It was still balanced out by other companies' programming. Simply put, it were the shows on 4Kids that were the highest rated on that programming block at that time.

4Kids has been hopping from the FOX network and then they went back to the since-then revamped CW.

Since 4Kids aired its programming on a broadcast network, as opposed to a cable network, it is not surprising that they survived this long with just reruns of Sonic X and DBZ Kai, as well as two Yu-Gi-Oh! series.

Those anime were, in fact, very huge rating successes for 4Kids. Simply put, they were spending more money than what they earned back.

Last edited:
First off, 4Kids isn't dead, many companies have filed for 11 and lived to see another day.

Secondly, 4Kids didn't do a lot to harm Pokémon, they may have altered the script to make it a more kid-oriented (more lame jokes), but didn't do a lot of other stuff. I mean, they referred to onigiri as "donuts", but it's something we laugh about now. And yeah, they removed lots of Japanese text! Wooooooooooo. What a TRAVESTY.

I mean, compared to the edits they did to say, One Piece, Pokémon was left relatively untouched.

When people refer to the edits, it also includes stuff such as adding in shipping hints. It isn't just the Japanese references.

When people refer to the edits, it also includes stuff such as adding in shipping hints. It isn't just the Japanese references.
Changing onigiri to jelly donut (and then explicitly into sandwiches) didn't really affect the overall plot, so who really cares? Apparently a lot of people, since that's what they bring up and not the shipping hints.

Things like that actually would affect the overall mood of things, since it would change the group dynamic. Now that's a reason to fault them.

Tut tut tut, 4Kids. Ya shoulda' kept Pokemon and done business right and now look where your at. Thanks for the old days but here in the screwed up future you made, I say goodbye. However, I express sorrow towards the Yu-Gi-oh fans, and wish the best for the Pokemon VAs.

Now that's a laugh. Since when did Arbok evolve into Seviper? Since when are water types weak to fire types? Don't make me start on the rice balls. :p

At least they didn't make Ash sound like a girl

Things like that actually would affect the overall mood of things, since it would change the group dynamic. Now that's a reason to fault them.

You've reminded me: The First Movie. While 4Kids eventually didn't edit the dialogue and plots of the latter Pokémon movies that they dubbed, the early ones weren't so lucky.

I am a bit sad to see this but its not the end in the least. Chapter 11 bankruptcy means RESTRUCTURING not liquidation of assets. As I recall a number of American automakers filed for chapter 11 and because of the restructuring became profitable again.

Is this why Lisa Ortiz played every single filler girl in Johto, making Johto even more tedious than it should have been because every female character sounded exactly the same?
I actually LIKE Lisa Ortiz. I enjoyed all her roles on the show, and I think she's a great VA!! =)

And besides, I don't see why you're complaining. There's nothing bad about Johto to me. In my opinion, Johto was awesome! I enjoyed EVERY SINGLE Johto episode, including the filler episodes! :)

Aww I used to love 4kids. Thought they did a great job with Pokemon :/
Same here. 4Kids is one of my favorite dubbing companies, because I grew up watching Pokemon. They made the show special, and gave it a lot of heart. <3

Besides Pokemon, I also enjoyed watching Kirby: Right Back At Ya. And I loved these shows. I think 4Kids did a wonderful job dubbing them. And personally, I'm a dub-only fan. So, unlike many of you here, I never compared these shows to the Japanese versions, nor did I care about any edits 4Kids made to their shows. :)

Anyway, the sad thing about this is, many VAs and other workers are going to lose their jobs. And in this terrible economy, too.
I know. =(

The thought of 4Kids going out of business makes me very worried and concerned, because this could mean that the Pokemon VAs will lose ALL of their jobs this time.

Alright, let's not make this into another dubbing/VA dispute. Remember that voice acting arguments are banned on BMGf. JSYK. :D
Actually, the last time I checked, the ban on VA talk has been removed. Okay, it's only a temporary lift, but still. =P

Unless, someone has done something bad in the past couple weeks to make them enforce that ban again? LOL, I've been absent from the forums for a few weeks, so I have no clue. XD

Actually, their only new show is Yu-Gi-Oh 5d's.
Ah, that's not quite accurate.

A few weeks ago, I learned about a new anime called Tai Chi Chasers, which 4Kids recently started dubbing. So far, they've dubbed about 12 episodes. ^^

And by the way, I learned this information from an interview with Veronica Taylor where she mentioned Tai Chi Chasers. It actually made me want to SEE this new series! Lately, I've been buying/watching all kinds of anime series with Veronica and the other Pokemon VAs! =D

But, now that all this stuff with YuGiOh has happened and 4Kids has filed for bankruptcy...I'm worried that Tai Chi Chasers will be end up being canceled or something. I'd hate to see Veronica and the other 4Kids VAs lose all their jobs, over a situation which wasn't even their fault. That would be really sad. It'd almost be like the Pokemon VA change all over again. =/

Last edited:
Actually, the last time I checked, the ban on VA talk was removed (it was only a temporary lift, but still). =P

Unless, someone did something bad in the past couple weeks to make them enforce that ban again? (I've been absent from the forums for a few weeks, so I have no clue)

The VA ban is gone for good.

Saturday Mornings as a whole have been on the decline for years. Kids just aren't watching cartoons as much as our generation did.

This is why KidsWb, FoxKids, Toonami, etc. all went under. Once 4kids dies, I bet the CW will just air informercials on Saturday mornings.

The VA ban is gone for good.
Really? It's been lifted completely?

YAY!! I'm so glad to hear that, Musashi! That's fantastic news! =D

First off, 4Kids isn't dead, many companies have filed for 11 and lived to see another day.
I sure hope not. I really hope 4Kids won't go out of business. I'd hate to see talented VAs, like Veronica Taylor and others, lose their jobs over this YuGiOh situation.

Last edited:
This is sad, I remember 4Kids for many of my favourite shows when I was younger. Pokemon and Yugioh being the obvious ones, how I loved those shows and I prefer the dub of Yugioh to the original.

When I found out the Shadow Realm was a complete 4Kids concept, I was impressed, it fitted in so perfectly, I was always under the assumption the Shadow Realm was invented by the original writers. It's a lot nicer to think a Soul has been sent to the shadow realm and can be returned, rather than killed.

Thing I don't get is Soul Cards, in the dub they contained the souls sometimes of their victims, Pegasus used them a lot, what were these in the original if the Shadow Realm did not exist?

In short, I hope 4Kids survives, Pokemon was much better under there, and Veronica Taylor will always be the real Ash.

w0w, just w0w 0.0

Well, lookin' past their errors, 4Crap really did good with Pokemon. And another show I think they did good with, Yu-Gi-Oh! (at least they released an uncut version with the association wit FUNi).

But I'll never forgive 'em to what they did to One Piece >_<

While they haven't gone completely out of business just yet, this is a tell-tale sign. I doubt they'll recover.

Either way it doesn't matter. 4kids has been crap for years, none of their new shows have not been particularly popular, they were pretty much dead the moment they lost Pokemon.

It was only a matter of time. I'm honestly surprised 4kids lasted as long as they did, I mean its 2011 now for goodness sakes.

Because Yugioh 5DS is popular enough
They Probily Dub It Till The Final EP

AND I LIKED SOME OF 4KIDS SHOWS:bawl:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom