• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

4Kids has its grubby paws on another anime...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Snake Bandage

The Pumpkin King
Reaction score
4Kids to Premiere Sega's Dinosaur King Anime on Fox

ICv2 reports that 4Kids Entertainment will launch its newest anime franchise, Dinosaur King, with a North American premiere during Fox Network's 2007-2008 season on Saturday mornings. The Sunrise-produced anime (which is called Kodai Ōja Kyōryū D Kids Adventure in Japanese) is based on an arcade/collectible card game hybrid from Sega. 4Kids has "Americanized" the characters' names (although many names were already changed for the card game) and redid the soundtrack. Funimation will release the dubbed adaptation on DVD. The game version uses scannable barcodes on the cards, similarly to Sega's own Mushiking.

And just when we thought anime was safe. I don't care if this was another lame kodomo in the first place, no anime deserves the 4Kids treatment.

Seems like a show about battling monsters....

...hmm?

Hmm...if they took this and Sonic X from Sega, why didn't they take "Bakugan: Battle Brawlers"?

Why was it up to some Canadian studio to dub Bakugan when 4Kids easily could have?

Also, I've been seeing commercials for Dinosaur King for a few weeks now and thought it was in-house, the framerate sucked...

Anyway, I'm gonna watch it to see what it's like...

Canada does the dub for that crap anime?

I wonder what it would be like if 4kids did Death Note?

Hmm...if they took this and Sonic X from Sega, why didn't they take "Bakugan: Battle Brawlers"?

Why was it up to some Canadian studio to dub Bakugan when 4Kids easily could have?

Well do you WANT 4Kids to dub it? I don't know what's that Canadian studio like, but I'm sure you're better off with it.

Nelvana, I believe.

Besides CCS which they totally butchered, their other aquirements (boring things like Beyblade) turned out okay.

[looks up this Dinosaur King anime]

Oh... I saw screenshots from the first episode for this thing during one of my extremely rare visits to 2chan. While I do enjoy monster-raisers, this didn't look like it'd particularly stand out in any way.

Oh Oh, I've seen the arcade game, their was like 8 of them scattered around the arcade place when I was on holiday last week, it didn't seem to make sense, I didn't pay attention but i had a quick glance and it looked like you had to swipe the card in a slot on the machine, where you got the card was unclear. It's definately a lil kids thing though, seriously the arcade machine was only about 1 metre tall, it was twined with a girly version called 'Love Berry Fasion' Dancing or something, (engrish!) where the player swiped a card with a hat or shoes or necklace or whatever other fashionable object was displayed on the card, and was added to a character on screen, then when you where done the character would dance. The whole time I was there I never saw anybody play on either, but if there's an anime about 'AGE OF THE DINOSAUR KING!!!!!' I'd look out for the other one aswell.

Nelvana isn't just "some Canadian Studio", it produces most of the French and English (heck, probably Spanish, too) language children's programming in the western world. Nelvana is responsible for things like Babar and The Care Bears, as well as more polished shows like Sam & Max: Freelance Police, Clone High, Stickin' Around, and Ruby Gloom, not to mention three million other things. It got its start in experimental film and was nearly bankrupted in the eighites when it's first attempt at a feature film, a dark rock fantasy called Rock & Rule, tanked. The Care Bears movie pulled it back from the brink and it has been working in TV and children's adaptations since then. It's a huge, huge studio

uh...which is not to say they'll do a good job...just that they're not new to the scene, or unknown.

:p I don't see this as a big deal because Dinosaur King is one of those little kid shows for selling stuff in the first place. It's basically a spin-off of Mushi-king, they probably just didn't bring Mushi-King here because Dinos have more appeal with American children.

I hope this brings the games (arcade and console) more in the US though, those card scanning devices are pretty cool.

Yeah, unless there's actually people outside Japan who saw and liked the original Japanese version, it probably doesn't matter what 4Kids does to it. Still, anytime that they're in charge of changing names and replacing soundtracks, it's almost a given the results will be bad.

4Kids must be desperate to make up for the loss of the Pokemon dub, though. Pokemon was probably the closest thing they had to a good show, and probably because some of the actors put some effort into it (unlike One Piece) and they didn't replace 100% of the soundtrack- they just used the wrong tracks in the wrong places a lot and use filler for any silent areas, which at least is less annoying than what they did to Yu-Gi-Oh...

Nelvana also does worldwide distribution of Butch Hartman's Nicktoons shows (Fairly OddParents, Danny Phantom), and possibly other American shows that don't have their own distributors.

But Nelvana, as a dubbing studio...I don't know...I don't care for any of their dub shows...they just never interested me...

But almost every show we have here has "Nelvana" on its credits..

Nelvana also does worldwide distribution of Butch Hartman's Nicktoons shows (Fairly OddParents, Danny Phantom), and possibly other American shows that don't have their own distributors.

But Nelvana, as a dubbing studio...I don't know...I don't care for any of their dub shows...they just never interested me...

But almost every show we have here has "Nelvana" on its credits..

Nelvana rings a bell, Polar Bear symbol yeah?

I've seen two dubbed episodes of Dinosaur King, the dinosaur animation sucks. I'll tell more later.

I've seen two dubbed episodes of Dinosaur King, the dinosaur animation sucks. I'll tell more later.

The bigger dinosaurs' animation is awful, yeah. I mean, well, it's pretty good as far as CGI goes, but I dislike blatant CGI in my anime. The traditional animation, however, is much better than what I usually see in kodomo anime, which is nice.

I watched the first two episodes in Japanese. It's very, very cute and... well, kodomo-ish. What I loved the most, oddly enough, were Rex's voice (it's very pleasant, and it's very refreshing to see a "rival"-looking character with a voice that fits his age), and the ending theme. Oh, gosh, the dancing dinosaurs, I just about died from the cute.

I tried to watched the first episode of the dub, and the fact that the main character sounded like Ash threw me off completely, but what really prevented me from continuing to watch was the theme song. That made me run away screaming. What do they think this is, the early 90's?

That theme song sucks in the dub, the rival-looking guy's voice doesn't match in the dub, and the concept is weird. In both. The evil team, called the Alpha Gang in the dub, is almost a cheap knockoff of Team Rocket! Especially because the girl has Jessie's voice. In the dub. But I plan to watch it on Saturday anyways because I have nothing better to do.

Last edited by a moderator:
Would Dinosaur King be technically much older than any other monster-controlling genre that we know of considering it traces from an arcade game in the 70s?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom