• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

English HeartGold, SoulSilver names revealed: Fan site posts info before games' relea

Status
Not open for further replies.

BulbaBot

Dreams of electric Bulbasaur
Reaction score
English HeartGold, SoulSilver names revealed: Fan site posts info before games' release

Serebii.net recently reported new information about Pokémon HeartGold and SoulSilver a month before the game's official English-language release. The site revealed the English names of the player characters, Rocket Executives, and more.

Read more on Bulbanews

Re: English HeartGold, SoulSilver names revealed: Fan site posts info before games' r

"Hidden Tower" sounds so much cooler than "Embedded Tower" :mad:

Also kind of ironic that we find out the English name of Kotone just 4 days before we would have found out anyway when DP143 airs.

Last edited:
Re: English HeartGold, SoulSilver names revealed: Fan site posts info before games' r

Team Rocket Executives' English names were revealed, as well.
Apollo is now known as Archer and Athena as Arianna. Lance has been renamed Proton, and Lambda is now named Petrel.
Okay, Nintendo, the only one of these admins that needed a name change was Lance. Was it really necessary to rename the other three as well? *grumbles*

I knew they were going to change the TR Lance name so people wouldn't confuse him with the E4 Lance that appears in the same game, but changing the other TR names seemed pointless to me.

They should've renamed Lance Ares (and kept the others the same). The other names were Greek, so Lance didn't make that much sense anyway.

The Japanese names of the Execs are also the names of real world rockets. I agree, the Big N should have kept the names (minus Lance of course).

Here's how I see it.

Apollo = Archer = A
Athena = Arianna = B
Lambda = Petrel = X
Lance = Proton = Y

A+B+X+Y = WTF!

Really?

Oh jeez -.-,
Petrel...?

...Thanks.

The English names for the Rocket Executives are pretty awful. Their Japanese names were all theme-appropriate, whereas the English names are all random. What do Archer and Arianna have to do with rockets? How is Proton is a good name for a human? What the hell is "Petrel"? (ETA: Why are they naming a TR admin after a goofy bird)?

Also, I hate that they renamed the Itemfinder to "Dowsing MCHN." Seriously, ew.

"Sport Ball" looks less stupid than "Compé Ball," though.

Frost is right 99%. I think Dowsing MCHN is ok, if it only weren't in all caps.

Sport instead of Compe is good.

Sinjoh instead of Shinto fails. Totaly copy of Tojoh Falls

To hell with all the TR names. They suck so hard. Petrel? What? Is he living gasoline? (Petrel- Petrol)

Embedded tower is ok.

Pokéathalon is worse.

Berry and Apricorn names are good.

Ethan and Lyra fail so hard. Gold is way better. I was expecting maybe an 'H' name like Helena or Hannah.

Maybe there's copyright issues with using the names of rockets in the U.S.? XD There really doesn't seem to be any other reason. The new names fail so hard, though I think everything else is okay.

Either Nintendo missed the theme-naming of the Rocket executives, or I'm missing the theme-naming NoA went with.

Jade orb is better than Red or Blue orb, of course, why call it Jade when Rayquaza's version was Emerald? I would have preferred if all the weather trio's orb retained their original name. I get renaming non-english names, but I don't get why they rename ones with English names, only worse half the time (then there's renaming people with Japanese names with other Japanese names -_-).

Lol, people were right about the Itemfinder being renamed. I know its not a grammatically correct spelling, but it looks better than Dowsing MCHN, I guess spelling out machine would have been too long?

All the other names I'm fine with.

Aaaaand they replaced the slot machines with a voltorb mine-sweeper game? As long as I can still buy lots of coins at once, and this is still better than having it completely removed.

EDIT: And now Gold/Hibiki is Ethan. Not bad I guess.

Sinjoh instead of Shinto fails. Totaly copy of Tojoh Falls

That was the intent with the word Shinto though. It combines Sinnoh's Japanese name Shinou and Johto's Japanese name Jouto. All Nintendo of America did was translate Sinnoh's part and use "Joh-" instead of "-to."

I'm not pleased that the slot machines got replaced with a Minesweeper knock off. Minesweeper requires some amount of skill (just like stopping the slot machines in HGSSj requires timing), but the game on higher difficulties more often than not degrades into something that you can only beat through luck and correctly guessing the correct tile when faced with two tiles that are equally likely to have a mine.

So basically NOA replaced a luck game that required some skill with a skill game that frequently requires luck to win? Meh.

I have to say that the name change for the Rocket Executives is quite...horrible I mean I don't see why there would be any controversy in the US, since it would be a nice reference. I mean come on Proton instead of Lance? Petrel instead of Lambda? It sounds like a brand of gasoline. I really like Athena and Apollo instead of Arianna and Archer, the originals were better and felt more appropriate for Admin Rocket Executives.

The biggest dissapointment was "Lyra"! NO SOUL!? I'M GLAD I IMPORTED! BETTER NAMES THERE!

The English names for the Rocket Executives are pretty awful. Their Japanese names were all theme-appropriate, whereas the English names are all random. What do Archer and Arianna have to do with rockets? How is Proton is a good name for a human? What the hell is "Petrel"? (ETA: Why are they naming a TR admin after a goofy bird)?

Also, I hate that they renamed the Itemfinder to "Dowsing MCHN." Seriously, ew.

"Sport Ball" looks less stupid than "Compé Ball," though.
They're all Rockets :)

The biggest dissapointment was "Lyra"! NO SOUL!? I'M GLAD I IMPORTED! BETTER NAMES THERE!

Are you really upset that they gave the main female character an actual name instead trying to pass off the word "soul" as a name?

They're all Rockets :)
While that is true (although I doubt many players, especially in the target audience, would know that without research - I sure as hell didn't), they're still pretty awful names for people, especially "Proton."

Last edited:

I love the name Lyra! :mad:

Ethan could have been a smidge better though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom