• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Possible Ruby and Sapphire Gen V: Official Discussion and Speculation thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

d.aisuke

Nuzlocke challenge'd
Reaction score

Since the 3rd generation we've had remakes of the games 2 generations before.

G1 RGBY
G2 GSC
G3 RSE & FRLG (RGB)
G4 DPPT & HGSS (GSC)
5G XYZ & ??? (RSE?? FRLG??)

If the games two generations before are remade, then we'll have remakes of RSE and ... FRLG?
RSE remakes make sense because the original games are old and much of G5's new audience (~12 or so years olds) won't have played them.

But, if FRLG are remade then circular pattern will be created, leaving the main series plot in a continuous loophole. (Redundant remake after remake)

That said, it would still be possible for RGB to be "rebirthed" would it not?

So my question is this, in the 5th generation will we have remakes of FRLG (which themselves are remakes of RGB)?

If so will they be "remakes" OR will they be new games set in an "old" region (Kantou)?

Thoughts?

Personally, though Kantou doesn't NEED to be featured (then again, why not, it's been in every generation); I love the idea of a brand new game with new plot elements in a pre-existing region.

I'm not gonna get into why HGSS and FRLG were made in the first place, that's not what this is about.

EDIT: When I say a new game in a pre-existing region, I mean any potential main series game that
A) is set in the GameFreak-RG continuity;
B) takes place in a non-new area (Which at the moment is Kantou, Joutou, Houen, Shinou, but could also include Oure, Fiore, Almia, and Oblivia)
and
C) is a new story (i.e., not a retelling/remake/etc, but can be a "sequel")

I don't care if you can go to more than one region in the same game, if you can, great, if not, whatever.

This thread will serve as the official discussion thread for all aspects surrounding the possibility of a Generation III remakes, sequels, or prequels during the 5th Generation including:

-Storyline/Plot/Timeline changes.
-Pokémon distribution.
-The possibility of other regions being explorable.
-Wish Lists of updates, new features, or returning features.
-Discussion of possible clues in the current games.
- Any and all general speculation relating to Hoenn appearing in the fifth generation.

Have fun posting.

Last edited:
Re: Remakes in the 5th generation

With any luck, we won't get any remakes. Maybe sometime in Generations VII --->, we can have an FrLgmake and an RSEmake. For now, I think it's time to move away from previous regions and move forward.

As it stands, all the generations are compatible with each other, and if Gen V is compatible with Gen IV, then that won't change. If it's not, well, any argument that could be used for an RSEmake can also be used for an FrLgmake (bar the "it hasn't been remade yet" one). So, frankly, since I don't want an endless loop of remakes, I think we should just end it with HGSS.

To be honest, I saw the RGBY and GSC remakes as less of a new trend or pattern and more of an update of obsolete and antiquated games, anyway.

I agree in that if there's any more "Remakes", they should involve new stories in the same setting, as is the Region. Perhaps begin in Kanto but with all the changes of GSC/HGSS, and probably revisit Sevii Islands with a new approach.

That would expand and enrich the story, which definitely needs to move on from the current timeframe.

Of course, if they can't come up with anything, I'd rather have no more Remakes.

Because of backwards compatibility, there isn't a need for remakes. New story, yes. Remakes, no.

Remakes of a remake doesn't make much sense. But I like the idea of visiting a pre-existing region like what was done in GSC/HGSS but I think we've seen too much of Kanto. It's been in all four generations but it's most likely that there will be an RS remake, thus, no Kanto.

Anyways, back to revisiting regions. But when you mean being set in an old region, you mean like sequels like GSC? Add a new region and revisit an old one in one game? As much as I like the idea, it would be like trying to copy GSC, but with different regions. But for now, I'm good with just one completely new region

The GBA slot is dead.

That alone ensures Hoenn will be remade. Future kids won't have a DS/DS lite, they'll have the 3DS or the DSi, etc.

Start in Sevii, move to Kanto post-II/IV. Have it happen a couple years after GSC/HGSS.

Start in Sevii, move to Kanto post-II/IV. Have it happen a couple years after GSC/HGSS.
This I like.

Yeah, While I didn't want to get into in this thread, I'd much rather have new things in new ways in old places, that remakes and ports.

The GBA slot is dead.

That alone ensures Hoenn will be remade. Future kids won't have a DS/DS lite, they'll have the 3DS or the DSi, etc.

Yes.
I'm willing to bet that each primary set will be remade at least once, not just because of any potential compatability issue, but because the new audience will not have the ability to play them.

Had Generations I and II been compatible with III and IV would RGB have recieved a remake?

Pokemon's primary target audience is little kiddes, shouldn't they also have the opportunity to spend money and play games released before they were born or in diapers?

Personally, I don't much enjoy playing old games, and would like things to be updated.

That said, if G5 is to have remakes, will they be remakes of RSE? Or New games set in Houen?

Yes.
I'm willing to bet that each primary set will be remade at least once, not just because of any potential compatability issue, but because the new audience will not have the ability to play them.

Had Generations I and II been compatible with III and IV would RGB have recieved a remake?

Pokemon's primary target audience is little kiddes, shouldn't they also have the opportunity to spend money and play games released before they were born or in diapers?

Personally, I don't much enjoy playing old games, and would like things to be updated.

Following this logic, all games should be remade indefinately because with every new generation that comes up, a whole new batch of kiddies that didn't play the older ones will appear. Pardon me if I'd rather they stop remaking games and have the kiddies buy the older versions if they're that interested in playing them

That said, if G5 is to have remakes, will they be remakes of RSE? Or New games set in Houen?

If the story's completely different, then it is no longer a remake. If the only thing that both games have in common is the overall setting, then it is no longer a remake. A sequel/prequel, a spinoff maybe, but not a remake

Following this logic, all games should be remade indefinitely because with every new generation that comes up, a whole new batch of kiddies that didn't play the older ones will appear. Pardon me if I'd rather they stop remaking games and have the kiddies buy the older versions if they're that interested in playing them
True, they'd be remade indefinitely, but the time period inbetween would be greater.
What am I to do if I want to play an NES game?
Purchase the game? ...and An NES?
Don't be foolish.
While things such as the virtual consule exist now, can it be guaranteed that they will continue to exist?

If RGBY are released on a Virtual Consule type thing for the '3DS" then "remaking" RGB or FRLG would be foolish.

But would it be foolish to release new games set in the Kantou region?

I have multiple GBAs as well as Nintendo DS-lite with a GBA slot.

But for the children with DSi's and 3DS's etc etc, how will they play RSE or FRLG?
They can no longer play the original RGBY or GSC, but HGSS exists for that purpose.

If the story's completely different, then it is no longer a remake. If the only thing that both games have in common is the overall setting, then it is no longer a remake. A sequel/prequel, a spinoff maybe, but not a remake
...Right.
You realize that's what I said right?
"Remakes" OR a new game in an old area

Last edited:

Why do we say RGB and not RBY? Did any of us actually play the original, horrible looking, Japan-exclusive red or green?

Here's the thing: The older regions, i.e. Kanto and Johto, are smaller than Hoenn or Sinnoh. Much smaller. It's sickening when you realize it. You might as well call Kanto the Quint-Cities, with the Verm-Saff-Cela-Ceru-Fusch star in the middle. So now matter how updated they might get, in terms of scope, they'll still be lacking. And if there's anything these games are about, it's upping the scope for each successive game.

Creatively, I'm hoping they're done with Kanto for a while. Unless they give it a MASSIVE overhaul, making it bigger, demolishing Saffron (explosion at Silph Co. during an experiment, big tragedy, but ultimately these things happen; it is the cost of progress), changing the routes, and adding some biome diversity that's not just a bunch of goshdarned motherfunking razzlefrazzing aklsdfjlaskdfoawenflk CAVES, I don't need to go back there.

Also, it's "indefinitely." Come on, guys.

Starting in Sevii is cool, but the area will need a massive expansion to make it suitable for any main plot area.

No more remakes, thanks, and why would they make remakes of remakes..? Just making all pokemon available in gen V should be enough, just look at how many pokemon you can fit in a safari zone (hg/ss).

Because of backwards compatibility, there isn't a need for remakes. New story, yes. Remakes, no.

There is need for remakes. My little sister and all her classmates have never played R/S, and probably won't have that opportunity again because of the removed gba slot. And guess who the target audience is for gamefreak to sell there games to. It isn't you, nor is it me or anyone about our ages. Thus, remaking it is almost a certainity. Plus you would probably buy it anyway once it comes out. Also since the nintendo 3DS probably also won't have a gba slot, the backwards compability is there, but will be such a bother to perform they'll probably remake it anyway.

The GBA slot is dead.

A wild smart person appeared! Other people fainted.

^My arguments, only shorter.

If you use the argument that there is no longer a GBA slot on new DS systems, then that would mean that Red and Blue would have to be remade too since they are no longer playable. With that thinking, a few generations down the road they'll need to do a ton of remakes.

The remake cycle needs to be broken, and I think the best way would be to start releasing the classic games for DSiWare/3DSWare. Even better, also offer an app that allows you to move Pokémon between the downloaded classics and the Gen 4/Gen 5 game inserted. From what I heard, downloadable Red and Blue were shown off at E3 last year but nothing has come of it yet. They may be holding off until the 3DS is released.

Despite parading against a Gen III remake yet, I looked at the release scheduled and realized that we have had a remake of two gens back every gen for the past two gens... so it really does make sense. And after digging out Sapphire again and trying to play the thing, my previous argument that it is "graphically up to date" is out the window. There's really no reason to think they won't at this point, and I certainly hope they do.

RSE definitely need to be remade, more for the sake of the region than anything. The region was definitely the most beautiful out of all four regions, but the GBA didn't nearly do it enough justice.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom