• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

5th Gen Starter ideas

The classic trio of starters' types should be replaced in Gen 5. I'd like to see a new trio for a change. Not that there's anything wrong with the starters' types but they shouldn't fear about changing them for once.

The classic trio of starters' types should be replaced in Gen 5. I'd like to see a new trio for a change. Not that there's anything wrong with the starters' types but they shouldn't fear about changing them for once.

True, but what three types each have a weakness and a strength to the others type? I Mean:

Fire weak to water but strong to grass
Grass weak to fire but strong to water
Water weak to grass but strong to fire

True, but what three types each have a weakness and a strength to the others type? I Mean:

Fire weak to water but strong to grass
Grass weak to fire but strong to water
Water weak to grass but strong to fire

Ice weak against Steel but strong against Ground
Ground strong against Steel but weak against Ice
Steel strong against Ice but weak against Ground

Ice weak against Steel but strong against Ground
Ground strong against Steel but weak against Ice
Steel strong against Ice but weak against Ground

Yeah, but what about back when the revealed the gen IV starters? They were fake, but you've gotta admit, they were cool.

The Grass-Fire-Water cycle isn't going to be switched with another. It's designed to be as basic as possible as to not scare off young and new players.

What wrong with Kiwimon?

Nothing really, but I wouldn't want to see a Pokemon so similar to him. Maybe if the kiwi was of another type.

I can't see fire/ice as fire melts ice. If a pokemon is a fire type it will melt its ice moves with the heat it has. Nice idea though with the simlodon

If they can have rock-ground types as a starter then I don't see why not, but I think it would be almost too powerful as that would remove most weaknesses.

Nothing really, but I wouldn't want to see a Pokemon so similar to him. Maybe if the kiwi was of another type.

If they can have rock-ground types as a starter then I don't see why not, but I think it would be almost too powerful as that would remove most weaknesses.

A Kiwi would make a great grass type, true right now my idea looks like the love chiled of Kiwimon and Torchic

No It would have Rock Ground and Fighting weaknesses

I started thinking and this is what I came up with:

Grass: Koala
I don't have any further ideas about this one, but there's hasn't been a koala Pokemon yet.

Water: Dolphin
First it's small and looks something like a dusky dolphin, then it evolves into a bigger bottlenose dolphin and finally into a Water/Dark type killer whale

Fire: Kangaroo
And not a boxing kangaroo, that's too cliche.

A Kiwi would make a great grass type, true right now my idea looks like the love chiled of Kiwimon and Torchic

No It would have Rock Ground and Fighting weaknesses

To what degree? Don't most duel types have a double weakness to another type?

Something canine or feline would be great. A peacock would be nice too.

How about an okapi. :B

The problem I see is this. In gen V, assuming there is one, is the legendaries. How the heck do you top the Pokemon God? Do we go back to just uber rare and strong pokemon as legendaries? It's fun to think of starters, which have long been the pokemon GF puts the most thought into, but you have to acknowledge the other pokemon and I'm more concerned about them.

I like the spider idea. A grass spider sounds cool. A water spider sounds like surskit.

How the heck do you top the Pokemon God?

I dunno, incarnation of Death, a thing that fells even the mighty horse God? Super strong bidoof or zubat?
MissingNo.? (yes)

Hell, how about h poke? That thing is ungodly huge.

Last edited:
I've always said Missingno should get official pokemon status.

I've always said Missingno should get official pokemon status.

That would be nice, only of they left it the way it was though, if you take away its scrambled sprite and the other things so glitchy about it, it wouldn't be the same.

there are alot of good idea here =] but some not so much =P

you've gotta remember that the water type can't be a fish or squid or anything...it has to have legs

bird, mammal, reptile seems to an alright combo tho

we haven't had a grass bird or water mammal yet...so maybes...

grass: emu, peacock, ostrich?
water: platypus plz plz plz
fire: thow in another reptile for teh classicness

The problem I see is this. In gen V, assuming there is one, is the legendaries. How the heck do you top the Pokemon God? Do we go back to just uber rare and strong pokemon as legendaries? It's fun to think of starters, which have long been the pokemon GF puts the most thought into, but you have to acknowledge the other pokemon and I'm more concerned about them.

I like the spider idea. A grass spider sounds cool. A water spider sounds like surskit.

I agree they are going to have more and more trouble finding inspirations for new Pokemon, but it's not necessarily that the next new legendaries have to top Arceus. It's not like any of the other generations legendaries were topped by the next gens, unless you count generation 4.

The topic is still about the starters, and it's not to imply that the others are insignificant, but that the starters are Pokemon we are all going to have to choose from regardless of whatever else we capture.

Nobody answered me on whether or not duel types usually have double weaknesses.

Please note: The thread is from 14 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom