• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Review S07 EP26: Exploud and Clear!

Dogasu

ロケット団よ永遠
Reaction score
Japanese Episode AG 65: "Critical Situation! Exploud vs. Grovyle!"
American Episode 337: "Exploud and Clear"

0304.jpg

Kids' WB!, 10:00am ET
Encore airing on Kids' WB! at 3:00pm ET

Ash and the gang come across a rampaging Loudred, so it is decided that battling with it will calm it down. As Ash's Treecko and the Loudred push themselves to the limit, it'll take everything they've got to pull through.

Post your thoughts about the episodes here. Please mark any spoilers for episodes not that have yet to air in America in spoiler tags.

I only saw half of this episode so I missed the 1337 evolution. But what really freaked me out was what Ash said when Jessie and James attempted to do their motto. I wasn't really looking forward to this episode because Combusken and Swellow are next up and I luv those Pokemon.

So that's the voice we'll have to put up with for Grovyle for the next 40+ episodes?

Ugh.

Treecko never belonged in such a small body anyway, a form like Grovyle suits him better, and leaf blade looks really cool as well. ^_^

Was also amused by the banter between Haruka and Masato, but the whole "Exploud going crazy" thing I could have done without.

I liked this episode: 8/10. It was interesting how it got cloudier (as I love cloudy weather), and the conflict was nice. It reminded me of Ash and Charmeleon/Charizard, but... I don't know, somehow more sad. Perhaps it wouldn't obey because because Guy had only 2 badges and, not following the game in how any Pokémon you caught would obey you even if they exceeded the badge's control level, Loudred passed the control level. (I know the show doesn't have levels, and Ash's eperience with Charizard disproves the idea that there are badge "control levels," but I don't know what else it could be besides that or maybe an unfortunate reaction to new surging hormones. Maybe they took a while to affect Loudred.) It was hilarious (to me) when he mentioned that Loudred was lately "getting a mind of its own." Although I know what he meant, it just sounded weird (as did Ash's "conjecture" that Pokémon might have problems, just like humans do. Who'da thunkit, after all the years he's been with them?
Gaiarolleyes.gif
). Also, I've liked Guy ever since I saw him (not nearly as much as Ash, but Guy's cool enough). I feel that his voice fit him well. (And that dancing with Loudred thing....
Plntsmlieslol1.gif
) One thing I really loved was at the end, where we got to see Exploud and Grovyle battle before their trainers told them to. That made me wonder how it would be to see more battles between wild Pokémon.

Didn't really care for Grovyle's voice. (Dogasu, what's your idea of how it should have sounded?) Then there was J&J's would-have-been-a-fearhug. (<- from Serebii.) Something that got me was how there were major creases in the corner of everyone's mouths. It's actually a normal real-life occurence, but it just looked odd to me. Maybe I'm not used to seeing it on anime characters, or I don't pay enough attention. And was it just me, or did James' voice seem different? It's like it was toned down a tiny bit.

I only saw half of this episode so I missed the 1337 evolution.
It wasn't any 13373|2 than any other evolution. Unless it was the mere prospect of Treecko becoming Grovyle that makes it 1337?

Last edited:
Kthleen said:
Then there was J&J's would-have-been-a-fearhug. (<- from Serebii.)

I also noticed that. It looked really awkward with them frozen in place like that...

Kthleen said:
And was it just me, or did James' voice seem different? It's like it was toned down a tiny bit.

Actually, I just about laughed at the irony of his line where he said something about the need to lower the decibel rating when he sounded like he was shouting.

I hate Grovyle's voice. At the beginning of the episode when Ash was wondering what was wrong with Treecko, I thought, "He's probably PO'ed because he sounds like he got kicked in the balls," and Grovyle is the same way, only a little deeper. I don't see what was wrong with Juptile's voice; it's not like it says "Juptile," it just makes a "jrrr" sound that fits it perfectly.

Does it always make only the "jrrr" sound? Because maybe they:

1. were afraid it will one day say its name, and they just wanted consistency (although... The School of Hard Knocks and Jirachi Wishmaker, anyone?)
2. don't want all the Pokémon just growling/moaning/roar at each other, and didn't want Grovyle to start an "'ugly' pattern" (although it wouldn't be hard to stop it)
3. thought it would be easier to dub it than try to salvage Juptile's voice (or did they change the method with which they record the voices, and thus don't have to "salvage" voices/sounds?)

Argy said:
Actually, I just about laughed at the irony of his line where he said something about the need to lower the decibel rating when he sounded like he was shouting.
Well, except at that part. That was ironically funny, yelling to tell someone to be quiet.

I hearted it....
Especially the bit with the motto.
And the bit in meowth fantasy with Gio telling James off. Anyone got a screenshot of that.

I liked this episode, certainly better than some of the others I've seen recently ^^ I did notice the crease at the corners of their mouths that Kthleen mentioned; is it me, or were those only in the second half of the episode? o_O *blink*

Grovyle's voice bothered me, but it's not the worst voice we've had to deal with, at least in my opinion. Personally, I was more concerned with Exploud--those things FREAK. ME. OUT. If I ever have a Loudred I'm never letting it evolve, but that's beside the point...

I liked some of the weird expressions that were in this episode :p Like the 'almost-fearhug' thing with Team Rocket, and the moment when Corphish landed on the side of Ash's head xD (I'd love to have a screenshot of that :p) Meowth's Gio-fantasy was funny too, especially the chewing-out of James xD

Still... Exploud. *shudder*

Edit: Yay, 200th post xD *waves teeny little flag*

Grovyle's voice was off-putting at first, but it improved over the course of the episode.

And was I the only one noticing that Giovanni seemed to be doing an impression of Katsuhiko Jinnai from El Hazard? He just needed the war medals and an ear-piercing laugh...

Aquatre said:
I did notice the crease at the corners of their mouths that Kthleen mentioned; is it me, or were those only in the second half of the episode? o_O *blink*
No; actually, I really noticed them during Ash and Guy's first battle. Here, one can even see it when Ash's mouth is closed:

AG113.jpg

Seeing Guy "at the mercy of his Pokémon" really creeped me out. So did hearing Max beg, "Please don't hurt me!" They made me feel really bad. Ergh....

Blackjack Gabbiani said:
And was I the only one noticing that Giovanni seemed to be doing an impression of Katsuhiko Jinnai from El Hazard? He just needed the war medals and an ear-piercing laugh...
I've never seen El Hazard. At what part was he imitating him? The "chewing James out" part?

nekusagi-chan said:
And the bit in meowth fantasy with Gio telling James off. Anyone got a screenshot of that.
I don't know if you have it yet, but Heracross posted it in the General Pokemon Anime Picture Thread and said, "I'd advise saving it to your hard drive as I may need to delete it soon." Douzo.

SakakiyellsatKojirou.jpg

LOL, Geodude!

Those Ash pics are really funny! :-D

Anyway, here's my review of this episode:

I thought this episode was pretty good! And I thought it was interesting how it came on, with Treecko not wanting to eat or anything. Oh, and I liked the battle between Treecko and Loudred, or what they had of it. And I thought it was really cool how both Treecko and Loudred evolved at the same exact time! I wasn't expecting that to happen. LOL. And I also liked Grovyle's Leaf Blade attack! It was really cool! Oh, and I actually didn't mind Grovyle's voice, so I don't know why everyone doesn't like it. I mean, I thought it was okay. Oh, and I thought it was interesting how they made Exploud's sound attacks like Hyper Voice look. That was cool too! Although, I thought it was really weird how Exploud just started acting strange like that. I mean, it was Guy's first Pokemon, so that just doesn't make that much sense to me, but I guess it's cause it evolved and it's personality changed or something. Anyway, I liked Meowth's fantasy too! It was really funny! LOL. XD And I really liked the part when Exploud and Grovyle started battling on their own. That was so cool! Oh, and I also liked the part when Ash said something to Team Rocket like "Come on, that's getting old!". LOL. And then, it was really funny when Team Rocket was blasting off and they said something like this. First, Jessie said "Did the twerp just call us old?", and then James said "I'm not sure if he meant us, or the motto." and then Meowth said "I think this whole thing is getting old". I thought that was really funny! And I also liked the part at the end, when Exploud smiled and it wanted Guy to be its trainer again. That was cool! And I also liked how Ash and Guy went back to their battle, but they didn't really get to finish it. I mean, I hate it when they don't let Ash finish his battles. And I really wanted to see who won that match too. Oh well. Anyway, overall, this was a really good episode, it was very exciting to see Ash's Treecko evolve into Grovyle, and it was really cool to see it use Leaf Blade too.

Rating: 10 out of 10

Last edited:
This is the scene from this ep in Japanese where Grovyle first used Leaf Blade to cut off a new twig for itself. If you've never heard its Japanese voice, listen to this, and compare it to the dub voice.

My friend Erin came over to spend the day with me on Saturday and we watched Exploud and Clear together. We both agreed that it was a good episode, although we weren't quite sure whether Guy was male or female until he started talking. I assumed he was male after seeing pictures and I was right. I thought it was strange that Ash noticed how weird Treecko was acting since he's usually moody. "Evolving Pokemon at the same time is really rare," Erin commented. The opening scenes with Ash, Treecko, and Corphish were funny, so we had a good laugh over those. Meowth's fantasy was funny as well, but I couldn't help thinking that Giovanni would hit Exploud over the head if he woke him up with a loud roar. James's expression was priceless and it was better than I thought originally.

Roxy's Rating: 8/10

~Roxy~

Roxy_Parkington said:
but I couldn't help thinking that Giovanni would hit Exploud over the head if he woke him up with a loud roar.
Hey, Giovanni shuts his alarm clocks off the same as the rest of us ;P

Thanks Geodude! *grins, and saves all three pics*

Heh, I'd forgotten about Grovyle cutting a new twig xD I thought that was neat, for no real reason :p

I was fairly disappointed with the voice and sig-cry they put said voice through. Okay, not fairly. Incredibly disappointed. Yelling 'Exploud!' like it was was...just...they could've done 100 times better. You don't get the feeling that this pokémon is any louder than any other, even when it was a Loudred and boom-blasting the forest on its rampage. I would've given them a sig-cry that sounded more like a cross between a normal voice and the horn of a tankership, not...that.

And I had the same thought an eariler poster said: 'gee, maybe its running amuk because Gai only has two lousy badges', and I waited and waited to see if Brock, at least, would mention it, but alas.

And they still didn't give us the reason why Loudred/Exploud went all demolition on Gai. Nothing concrete, anyway.

And what the hey-all was all that thick-line art?! o_O It was gross! And they kept switching from normal to...that and it drove me nuts!

On the other hand, Gai! ^_^;;; He looked like Drew's older brother. And to just have an older trainer like him, who dances and gets all weepy-eyed and adorably clueless and hesitant with the concerns of his pokemon...I dunno. I like him. *beams* Not to mention I've never heard his voice before, which gives him extra points.

Except he can't save this episode. 4/10. Grovyle looks to be walking done Charmander's path, and with a voice like that, he better evolve again soon. o.<

Blackjack Gabbiani said:
Gai? The captions called him "Guy".

*meek shrug* I can't bring myself to call him Guy. I've finally got to the point in my life where when I read 'Guy', I know it's 'Gii', after forever thinking that it was 'Guy' in the first place and...it hurts to think about. x.x

Please note: The thread is from 19 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom