• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

[6th Gen.] RMT OU (Help Appreciated)

PD83

Reaction score
Hello, all. Simply put, the premise of this thread will be me asking for help on what to do with this team, as I have been changing it constantly, with different members and strategies every time. That said, I feel like I'm finally comfortable with this team, but it's not the best, and has giving me mixed results on Showdown. Basically, I'm using some of my favorite Pokemon, with an attempt to make them competitive. Honestly, it's not as well structured as some other teams out there (by far), and I feel I can definitely make improvements in places, but I feel nonetheless that it is a decent team, based on the results it has gotten me. And so, here it is, and judge as you will (I am open to all criticism; not in any order):

1. Venusaur @ Venusaurite:
Nature: Bold
EV's: 252 HP/ 252 Def/ 4 SpA
- Giga Drain
- Sludge Bomb
- Sleep Powder
- Leech Seed

2. Garchomp @ Rocky Helmet
Nature: Jolly
Ability: Rough Skin
EV's: 252 Atk/ 252 Spe/ 4 HP
- Outrage
- Swords Dance
- Earthquake
- Rock Slide

3. Sylveon @ Leftovers
Nature: Calm
Ability: Pixilate
EV's: 252 HP/ 252 SpD/ 4 SpA
- Heal Bell
- Wish
- Hyper Voice
- Protect

4. Sableye @ Leftovers
Ability: Prankster
Nature: Careful
EV's: 252 HP/ 252 SpD/ 4 Atk
- Taunt
- Will-O-Wisp
- Foul Play
- Recover

5. Skarmory @ Leftovers
Ability: Sturdy
Nature: Relaxed
EV's: 252 HP/ 252 Def/ 4 Atk
- Whirlwind
- Brave Bird
- Defog
- Roost

6. Volcarona @ Leftovers
Ability: Flame Body
Nature: Bold
EV's: 252 HP/ 252 Def/ 4 SpD
- Quiver Dance
- Fiery Dance
- Bug Buzz
- Roost

Problems I notice:
- As a battler who prefers switching as a tactic, I feel that few of my Pokemon can take physical hits w/o massive damage, besides Skarmory (most of the time). And by that point, Skarmory's so predictable that the opponent'll know to use a Special.
- Hazards. Big problem that I try to avoid by using Taunt with Sableye and Defog with Skarmory. For obvious reasons, this is a desperate attempt and doesn't work much, unless it's very predictable and worth the risk of switching in (I've faced supposed sweepers who have hazard moves).
- This team has downright failed against those who use pure power, minus a few exceptions, and is meant to primarily face teams that use some sort of trickery. This probably isn't helpful due to the lack of a clear description, but I nonetheless felt it necessary to add.

My preferred tactics:
- Use of Hazards and Status.
- Switching is key.
- Pokemon help the entire team.

As said, I am open to criticism, and will consider advice offered. While I am battling with more of my favorite Pokemon, I will make some sacrifice for progress (however, I'd prefer not to use Smogon copy n' pastes, due to personal preference and reasons). That said:

Staples (would still move, but harder to convince me :p):
- Volcarona - This moth has served me very well, and has proven itself consistently, despite the weaknesses, such as Rock moves or status. It's bulk, recovery, and special power are greatly appreciated on this team.

High on, but would move:
- Sylveon - I love the Eeveelutions, and like to have one on all my teams. Also, Sylveon is downright reliable in terms of being a cleric, with its SpD. But that's the issue, it has high SpD, recovery, and can have great SpA, but it's Def holds it back slightly from being a staple.
- Sableye - Sableye has proven incredibly useful for me, stopping most walls in their tracks, and even denting, or sometimes KO'ing, sweepers such as Charizard X, Mega Scizor, Talonflame, and Cloyster.
- Mega-Venusaur - All moves and defenses have proven incredibly useful to me at times, however the weakness to Flying, shared by with Volcarona, is rather unattractive, along with how he can be OHKO'ed by Landorus or Latio(/a)s' Psychic moves.
- Garchomp - Either him or Mega Tyranitar (may consider others), but I prefer to have a dragon/monster creature on my team meant to tear the other team up. Always liked Garchomp, but he is by far the most mixed case on this team, doing really well, or not.

Expendable:
- Skarmory - I personally don't like Skarmory, and prefer Gliscor. But with Garchomp on the team, I'd prefer not to give myself such a huge weakness. Only real gimmick appreciated is Whirlwind.

Pokemon I am mostly interested in (will consider others):
- Clefable - Could serve as a replacement to Sylveon, due to more firepower and Def power. However, the loss of a cleric and really powerful SpD would hurt.
- Gengar - Has always been a Pokemon that I have done well with. His SpA is very strong, however, his addition might get rid of Sableye, a useful Prankster.
- Mega Tyranitar - I love this Pokemon. It has had mixed results as well, but my goodness, has it destroyed teams when set up properly. Would replace Garchomp and Venusaur, and change team dynamics due to typing.
- Dragonite - Impressive bulk with strong Atk potential, however his addition would only add to the SR weakness. Yet, Venusaur would be able to keep his Mega.
- Gliscor - The impressive bulk in Def, and reliable recovery make him an attractive option. Only drawback I feel with him is that he lacks the speed and attack power (unless invested in) to really dent others at all.

Hi there, so what if you try to pull off your favorites? While you need to stay competitive, I've been using Froslass in OU since DPPt!
1) I've noticed you have neither on Ice attack nor SR, so why not try Mamoswine? SR/Ice Shard/Icicle Crash or Icicle Spear/EQ should work.
2) I do feel Clefable will work well on your team, it has some of widest movepools in the game so you can play with its sets, I'd use either CM or Wish.
Oh, move Sableye's 4Atk to SpD as Foul Play uses the opponent's attack stat.
GL!

As mentioned you'd benefit from having hazards of your own if you like switching around. If you have Stealth Rock or Spikes out then not only are you getting an advantage switching against your opponent, you'll also be forcing them to adapt to the situation while racking up damage. Off the bat Gliscor would fit nicely with the team, as it offers hazards and can give you some utility and bulk against direct offenses.

Gliscor @ Toxic Orb
- Stealth Rock
- Toxic
- Roost/Protect
- Earthquake/Knock Off

I'm not too sure on the EVs but focus on HP and one of the defensive stats...if you need to outspeed certain threats then you can consider Speed EVs as well. Stealth Rock for setting up hazards on the lead. Toxic can help you wear down opponents while you stay alive thanks to Poison Heal. Protect/Roost are good options to give you some recovery while they're taking poison damage. Earthquake can give you a decent attack while covering for Steel types that aren't affected by Toxic, Knock Off is also an option.

Please note: The thread is from 9 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom