• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Review S07 EP38: Cruisin' for a Losin'

Dogasu

ロケット団よ永遠
Reaction score
Japanese Episode AG 78: "Pokemon Contest! Ruibosu Tournament!"
American Episode 350: "Cruisin' for a Losin' "

Kids' WB!, 10:00am ET
No known encore airing this week

May's fight for her third Contest Ribbon is underway, but will she be able to be Savannah and her Lairon? Or will her Bulbasaur's stagefright cause her the battle?

Post your thoughts about the episodes here. Please mark any spoilers for episodes not that have yet to air in America in spoiler tags.

Last edited:
Anyone else happy May lost? I sure was. She was being a real jerk and wasn't using her head. She was past due for a good humbling and I pleased she got it. Not mention the chewing out she got from judges was icing on the cake. If you hate May (like I do) this is poetic justice.

She was acting like Ash when he lost against Brawly the first time, minus the "Shut up" line, but telling off the judges was good. If I lost in the contest, I'd give those three a "two-fingered salute". Yes, those two fingers. And Dogasu, just to point out, the badge case edits are present in the YTV airing of "Whiscash and Ash". I'm not going to resurrect a topic on an ep from a few weeks ago, so I figure I'd let you know here.

Doesn't Camerupt have a double weakness to Ludicolo? And weren't the other two neutral to it?

The Cheermoms' obsession with Drew is downright scary. They're *blushing* when he congratulates Savannah.

Max thinks that grass types are immune to electricity? What?

So now the middle judge seems to have Darren Dunstan's voice.

When Pikachu comes over to comfort May, there's something...I don't know, off about how its tail is drawn. Around the base, there seems to be too many zigzags.

And Hidden Power pwns. What is this, Netbattle? HP is *garbage* in the games!

And once more, TR's reach overshoots their grasp. But why did that woman want a refund on a ribbon that was *clearly* too big? I mean seriously, anyone could see that it was going to be far too big for an Azurill. That's her own fault, the stupid bint.

And TK, what "two fingers" do you mean? Unless that's one finger on each hand, I'm not sure what you mean.

I'm still amused by "Rubello Town".

OK, so at the end when they all have the orange drink...it shows the glass in front of Brock, and when it shows the rest of the table, all the glasses seem to have shrunk.

A fairly good episode. It was nice to see more of Drew. He owns ^^. Yeah, it was pretty scary when the cheer leader moms started blushing over Drew. Can you say "cradlerobbers" ^^. The whole over-confidence plot line is kind of old (how many times has it happened to Ash?) but then the scene near the end where Ash talked to May made up for it. It was cool to hear him talking from his expierence. I felt so sorry for Team Rocket. They can't even suceeed when they are doing a legit buisness. They should have told that brain dead lady "no refunds". It was obvious the ribbon was too big for the Azurill right from the start. As far as actul contest it was kind of dull compared to the others we have seen. The appeals weren't as interesting as in previous contests and the battles were not very action packed.

overall rating: 2 stars. I'd have given it more if the animation and the battles had been more interesting.

TK n Happy Ness said:
She was acting like Ash when he lost against Brawly the first time, minus the "Shut up" line, but telling off the judges was good.

rofl, I remember that, that was hilarious.

Well, I'm also glad she lost. she was acting a little too cocky for her own good, and she deserved to lose. immagine what would have happened if she had won. her head would be too big to go through a door.

I kinda wanted to slap her when she was yelling at Ash, I mean, really :rolleyes:

It was a good episode I thought

One thing I liked about this episode was how the anime focused on everyone competing. Usually, it seems like they just want to focus on the "main battle" (which, for this episode, was May vs. Savannah) but in this episode, we also got to see the Drew vs. Sonny fight. I'm glad that they actually showed a good portion of the battle instead of just glossing over it, and it's a trend that the anime will follow in the future.

TK n Happy Ness said:
And Dogasu, just to point out, the badge case edits are present in the YTV airing of "Whiscash and Ash". I'm not going to resurrect a topic on an ep from a few weeks ago, so I figure I'd let you know here.

Really? But don't the other episodes keep his badge case as-is?

8.6/10.
Although I didn't like the way that May went nuts, I did enjoy the judges telling her off. That was cool. I thought the same thing TK n Happy Ness did, except that I noticed that when she lost, she was embarrassed but willing to accept friends talking to her, whereas Ash was really pissy. And poor widdle Bulbasaur!

Blackjack Gabbiani said:
Doesn't Camerupt have a double weakness to Ludicolo? And weren't the other two neutral to it?

And once more, TR's reach overshoots their grasp. But why did that woman want a refund on a ribbon that was *clearly* too big? I mean seriously, anyone could see that it was going to be far too big for an Azurill. That's her own fault, the stupid bint.

And TK, what "two fingers" do you mean? Unless that's one finger on each hand, I'm not sure what you mean.
I though it had a quadruple weakness (Water>Fire, Water>Ground, but Grass>Ground is countered/equalized by Fire>Grass). Mightyena and Duskull are indeed neutral to Ludicolo, and vice versa.

I noticed that, too. If she couldn't tell that it was way too large for Azurill in the first place, then something's wrong. Besides, she could have kept it for Azumarill or just for something cute around the house somewhere.

This is the 2-fingered salute.

Last edited:
< avatra from teh epi! (It kinds sucks, but whatever.)

The intro part with TR seemed really short to me.

I really liked Savannah. She didn't look like a mother, though. Lairon isn't exactly a beautiful Pokémon IMO, but I *loved* Flareon's appearence! Its eyes were so pretty. It was good to see an Eeveelution again.

The cheerleaders were moms, too? Wth. I don't get it. There voices were really weird, too. They acted way to fangirlish to think of Shuu as a "cute kid" like most mothers would.

I didn't really care that May lost, but I'm glad that Savannah won, even if she didn't beat Shuu. The battles were really impressive, but...how could Masquerain use three attacks in a row? I don't think even high speed would allow that.

I don't know what May's problem was; she's usually not like that. I was kinda thinking, "Snap out of it, already... o_o"

Rating: 8/10

Anyone know how much longer until Fortree? ^_^

May was acting like a know-it-all before the Rubello contest, so she learned a lesson when she lost. Everyone, even Ash, loses sometimes, so May will improve after this contest. I liked the scene where Ash was mentoring her; it seemed to boost her confidence a little bit. Team Rocket wasn't there very much, but it was still enjoyable.

Roxy's Rating: 10/10

~Roxy~

Here's my review of this episode:

I really liked this episode! And I thought it was funny how they showed Team Rocket in the beginning, cause they usually don't show them till later. Anyway, I thought it was kinda weird how May was so confident and everything, especially since she had just caught her Bulbasaur not too long ago. And I don't understand how she thought she'd win that contest, when she didn't have that much time to train for it. Although, I guess it makes since, cause everyone gets over confident sometimes. But, I didn't like the part when she got mad at Ash and started yelling at him, just cause he was trying to give some advice on battling. And I felt sorry for Ash during that scene. Anyway, it was interesting how's Bulbasaur had stagefright, and that made sense too, cause it had never been in a contest before. And it also made sense that May lost the contest too, cause it was almost like May didn't realize what all that pressure to win and everything was doing to Bulbasaur. Oh, and one of my favorite parts in this episode was later, when Ash went over to talk to May. And I thought it was great how he reminded her that a Pokemon and its trainer need to be united so they can win battles. I loved the way he said that! And I also thought it was cool how Drew beat Savannah! Oh, and it was funny, cause when Savannah lost to him, she didn't even seem that disappointed about it. And it was really funny how all the cheerleader moms were blushing when Drew congratulated Savannah! LOL. XD Anyway, overall, I really loved this episode, and I thought it was very cool and exciting.

Rating: 10 out of 10

Dogasu said:
Really? But don't the other episodes keep his badge case as-is?

In the Latin American Version (I'm from Argentina), the badge case is also edited.

...I love how the characters always turn into total monsters before they get their asses handed to them on a stick. When Ash lost to Brawly, and before he faced him, he was acting totally OOC. (Compared to the AG Ash we'd seen.)

...He was still pretty annoying though. :p

Alfonso said:
...I love how the characters always turn into total monsters before they get their asses handed to them on a stick. When Ash lost to Brawly, and before he faced him, he was acting totally OOC. (Compared to the AG Ash we'd seen.)

...He was still pretty annoying though. :p
I really don't think the two situations are that comparable. In Ash's case he was psyched from his recent victory in Rustboro, but his bad attitude came from him thinking Brawly was a lazy goof-off who didn't take his gym leader status seriously. Therefore Ash decided he should be able tow in easily, and when he didn't he was seriously disillusioned, until he found out that what he had seen as goofing off was really how Brawly trained his Pokemon. These days Ash is always fine with losing to someone he sees as a good trainer. :)

May on the other hand had decided, thanks in part to fans goading her, that she had nothing to improve upon, and needed no help in anything, and that her battles were much harder than Ash's. I loved Drew's words to her:

Drew: "I'm going to give you one piece of advice. Forget about what you've won and focus on the here and now." or something like that. :)

<><><>

Someone mentioned in the thread for the previous episode that it's odd Ash didn't at first support May using Bulbasaur as it had little experience, while he has used baby Pokemon (Phanpy) and new ones in important battles as well. However, one must take into account that her Bulbasaur was not only young and inexperienced, it was also unused to being around crowds, having lived isolated from people for so long. Phanpy on the other hand was born knowing several good attacks, and recieved a fair amount of training before it was used in the league battle. Using it against Pryce probably was a case of Ash thinking a Rock type attack (Rollout) might overcome Phanpy's weaknesses to Dewgong. Others like one Ash will catch in the future and immediately use in a gym battle were already quite strong when Ash caught them.

I really enjoyed this episode. I loved Drew's new pokemon. And yes I am glad mya lost. But I've noticed for once she was being like Ash did back in his day. That is the sign of learning people. If you can't tell them, then they'll learn. As simple as that.

Please note: The thread is from 19 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom