• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Guardian Signs website updated: Some English names revealed

Status
Not open for further replies.

BulbaBot

Dreams of electric Bulbasaur
Reaction score
Guardian Signs website updated: Some English names revealed

Pokémon.com has updated the Pokémon Ranger: Guardian signs section, showing English screenshots and revealing some English names.

Read more on Bulbanews

What's this? BulbaBot actually updates before other websites do?!

Renbow Island is weird.

Red-Eyes...?

Why...? What was wrong with Red-Eye? With no "s"? .-.

...oh well, still excited for this game. :b

Not sure how I feel about Renbow Island. They could have just come up with some completely different word that begins with "re" instead of using some mangled spelling, but... eh. Keeping to the original is good too, it'll just take getting used to.

And I could rage about Red Eye getting pluralized... but I won't. Instead I'll just draw some Yu-Gi-Oh crossover art or something.

What is with "localizers" who like to pointlessly change names for no reason whatsoever?

I agree with Ume. If the Japanese name is already a word in English (or romanised as an English word) why change it? I'd rather have a word than a random misspelling, and quite a few fans are already familiar with the Japanese names (in general, not just for this game).

Nema, I don't mind, It's just a shortening of the Japanese name, related, but at the same time, neither are a word, so the change doesn't matter in that respect.

Dolce Island I like. Even though Dolce isn't an English word, la dolce vita (the sweet life) is a well enough used phrase in English that people will recongise it. It's a fitting name for what, as far as I can tell, appears to be a tropical island. Unlike Renbow. It doesn't seem to have any relation to the Japanese name, but I can overlook that. The way I see it, if you're going to change it, change it completely, or don't change it at all, and this one fits that.

Red Eyes. . .:thumbd: I'm just not even going to go there.

On a related note, for those that haven't already noticed it, go to the site, and look at the Ranger Signs pictures in the screenshot gallery. Specifically, compare pictures 4 and 6 to their captions. In spite of that, looking at those screenshots is making me even more impatient for the game.

Are you people honestly complaining that they added a single "S" to a character's name? Good god.

But I'm not even sure if I want to get this game... The Ranger series stopped being interesting after the first one.

Are you people honestly complaining that they added a single "S" to a character's name? Good god.

But I'm not even sure if I want to get this game... The Ranger series stopped being interesting after the first one.

Read eye

A single letter does a lot doesn't it? Put in the wrong place and it can change the entire word itself.

Don't act like people don't have a right to prefer the name Red Eye, which has a much better ring to it than Red Eyes.

Don't act like people don't have a right to prefer the name Red Eye, which has a much better ring to it than Red Eyes.

Maybe if he actually had a single red eye the complaining would make some sense, but I still don't understand the big deal. It's just another case of getting used to another name for the same character.

Maybe if he actually had a single red eye the complaining would make some sense, but I still don't understand the big deal. It's just another case of getting used to another name for the same character.
Because they changed it by making it plural, they may as well not have changed it at all, especially when Red eye has a much better ring than Red eyes. It's as dumb as changing the Japanese names of the Kimono Girls with other Japanese names :/

Now really, doesn't GoldenEye have a much better ring than golden eyes? Same applies here. What was an awesome code name now seems like they're describing the colour of someone's eyes.

You're acting like that's what the past few comments were focusing on :/

I posted this news on my site on Friday. OMG Im beTtAr then BulBaG@rdEn LOL!1!11!!!!

Werdnae said:
Unlike Renbow. It doesn't seem to have any relation to the Japanese name

Um, Renbow Island pretty much is the Japanese name. The island's name, written out in Japanese, is レインボー, which would then be written out in English letters as reinboo (or reinboh).

The sites that use the spelling "Rainbow" must not have understood the naming convention the islands in that game use.

Some interesting names there...
At least they are more imaginative than the cities in Ranger 1. I personally preferred the Japanese names, though. But its not like the names of places is gonna affect how I feel playing the game too much.

Uh, doesn't Japanese not have plurals? So to them Red Eye = Red Eyes.

...there are ways to denote plurality, especially when it comes to English loan words. In Red Eye's case, they could have written the character's name out as レッドアイズ (Reddo Aizu), but they chose not to; instead, they wrote it out as レッドアイ (Reddo Ai) instead.

I'm assuming that Blue Eye and Purple Eye will become Blue Eyes and Purple Eyes, respectively.

For the sake of consistency, I hope they do D:

Not like Purple eye sounded that cool anyway.

Can't wait for these games to come out. I like how the Pokeassists actually show the Pokemon helping you now. I never really could figure out how they worked in Ranger 1 and 2 and guessed that the Pokemon got dragged into the capture disc and used its power.

The only thing is that I'm going to be reminded of Yu-Gi-Oh! every time someone brings up "Blue Eyes."

And yeah, the PokeAssists are a lot better in this game than in the previous one. I almost never used them in the second game because I never felt the need to, but the third game pretty much forces you to use them.

The only thing is that I'm going to be reminded of Yu-Gi-Oh! every time someone brings up "Blue Eyes."

And yeah, the PokeAssists are a lot better in this game than in the previous one. I almost never used them in the second game because I never felt the need to, but the third game pretty much forces you to use them.
Yeah, that's what I'm getting with Red Eyes already, and the Guardian signs are already making me think of Yu-Gi-Oh 5D's.

After I got used to drawing circles in Ranger 2 since it was my first ranger game, assists were really pointless. The only thing I brought were the ones that recharged my styler. I guess its like the battle items in Pokemon, no one uses the X-whatevers but everyone uses the healing items.

It actually makes capturing the Pokemon useful.

well if you were wondering about how the pokeassists work it's like they pour their energy into the capture disk

yeah..makes no sense
Makes as much sense as Pokemon going into Pokeballs, so in-universe, I can believe it.

Though, it's still weird they don't use a more direct approach like they did in Ranger 3. I guess they can hand-wave it as not wanting to harm the Pokemon or something.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom