• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

8 episodes in and nobody even likes it

SinnohBoi

追放されたバカ
Reaction score
images (26).jpeg

Has there ever been a series this hated? Even Best Wishes, for all its faults, was liked until the the whole team plasma thing went awry. But this? There is nothing redeemable about it. Nobody even bothers to sub it anymore, 4chan hates it and half of that forum actually enjoyed sun and moon. Bulbagarden and Serebii Hates it. Reddit Hates it. I mean, can we just abort this trash already and go back to XY? Twilight Wings released a 6 minute episode (which had no right to be as good as it was) and it made Pokemon 2019 more irrelevant than it ever was.

Also, I don't think anyone here deserves 3 years of this torture

It is rather 3 last episodes which were hated most since Go was allowed to catch Pokemon (almost) without battle. And fans surely hoped that they will see characters and places from early seasons and new games, which didn't happen because of clear reasons.

Oh look, it's SinnohBoi's weekly thread about the very same topic. You're getting more brutal each time, but nothing is really new.

I like the series, as do two of my friends. More importantly, Japanese forums are nowhere near as critical of it as western forums are, and this is only taking adults into account (not the target audience). Do yourself a favor and move on with your life if you honestly hate this series. I'm sure that Twilight Wings will be very satisfying by way of not being PM and I hear that rewatching the previous anime series is a thing.

It's because of how aimless the series has felt so far. After an explosive(?) start, the series has lacked a clear direction, the amount of bait and switch promotion is irritating and the fact that Ash seems to be treated as an afterthought.
And no, before someone says "He's been a protagonist for 22 years", the premise clearly says "double protagonist" which has been done in a better way in the past. I believe I already went over this a while back.
I guess, you should've read "double protagonists" as "two main characters" in the meaning that both of them will take part in action. ;) Bait and switch was a thing a long time ago (remember Kalos League for example). And this time we just have the story of new character with his own goals (like studying rare Pokemon) and adventures in regions which he never visited before.

Oh look, it's SinnohBoi's weekly thread about the very same topic. You're getting more brutal each time, but nothing is really new.

I like the series, as do two of my friends. More importantly, Japanese forums are nowhere near as critical of it as western forums are, and this is only taking adults into account (not the target audience). Do yourself a favor and move on with your life if you honestly hate this series. I'm sure that Twilight Wings will be very satisfying by way of not being PM and I hear that rewatching the previous anime series is a thing.

Oh look, a post that offers no counter-argument to the subject matter, rather tries to dispell anyone who doesn't accept what they are being given. Where have I seen this before? Oh, wait. Gamefreak defenders having been using this since sword and shield were released.

Just because I don't like the quality of something, I should just accept the product as something that will continue to be mediocre and move on? What happened to liking a product and wanting it to be better? Is that so unfathomable?

Just because I don't like the quality of something, I should just accept the product as something that will continue to be mediocre and move on? What happened to liking a product and wanting it to be better? Is that so unfathomable?
You lost all credibility the minute you claimed that everyone shared your opinion. You don't even have a real argument; just an expectation that OLM will pander to western fans who are in their 20s.

And by all means, organize a petition or letters to OLM. That would be more productive than these threads.

That is all fine and dandy, but the issue here is you keep passing of your own opinions as the opinion of the entire fanbase. It comes off as arrogant and insulting to those who do like the series.

I am not totally sure how I feel about it at this point, it's still a little early to judge it completely.

Personally, it isn't as exciting as I found Sun & Moon, but from where I stand in this series now, the only weird thing is how rushed the episodes are. We appear to be skipping through tons of different topics at once from my point of view.

I mean, can we just abort this trash already and go back to XY?
I'm not a fan of the new series but when I hear people mentioning XY as an alternative I'm glad they took different direction with the new series.

I can understand the frustration, I didn't like a lot of things in the anime ever since the first season, and some things I liked are gone with no sign of coming back (like Ash's early personality or big "on hand" teams) but I still try to find something I'd enjoy in every series, even if it's something as small as nods to the games or my favourite Pokémon's cameo. If there's really nothing enjoyable there, its best to move on or just wait for another series.

If I could *gasp* turn this thread into something positive, here is what I like from each episode:

Pichu: Mew saving baby Kangaskhan and striking a chord in Go. Pichu deciding to leave so as not to be a burden.
Lugia: This scene shows how awe-inspiring the Pokemon world can be, in a way that hasn't been done in a long time.
Ivysaur: Ash and Go's clash. The idea that the Ivysaur family want to soothe the city despite their sacred place being taken away.
Scorbunny: The backstory, Go's speech and how the Nickit trio "force" Scorbunny to join Go.
Snorlax: Go letting go of his fantasy about Mew being his first Pokemon after Scorbunny goes through so much for him.
Kanto bugs: The Scyther and Venonat captures are decent (a nod to Tracey?). The final scene with all the bugs is very cute.
Battle Frontier: Go's immature reaction to his brutal loss ("catching is better than battling") is pretty new for the anime, and you can tell that Ash wants him to watch his own battle to motivate him to get better. Despite the controversy, Mr. Mime kicks some ass.
Piplup/Croagunk: Their rivalry is funny.

Last edited:
"nobody even likes it"
... Yeah, that's... that's not true. Not true at all.

It has a whole bunch of issues and there are people who dislike it for a variety of reasons (myself included), but that doesn't mean that it's universally hated. There a good amount of videos from all kinds of PokéTubers praising this series (with a lot of people in their comments sections speaking positively of it) and I have seen a bunch of people expressing their enjoyment of it and even defending it, both here and on Serebii (which makes your "Bulbagarden and Serebii Hates it" statement either ignorantly wrong or disingenuously exaggerated).

Does it have its flaws? Yes. Could it be (far) better then it is right now? Double yes. But is it hated by everyone? Well, unless you're a powerful psychic that can tell what people feel and can tell whether someone is lying or not, I'm gonna go with what I've seen so far and say no.

Saying that everyone hates the current series is a pretty huge exaggeration. Granted, most of the discussion on PM I've seen here have ranged from mixed to negative, but there are still people who enjoy the series here and I've seen praise for it on other sites as well. I can't judge the series myself yet, but I don't think that the reception to PM has been as bad as it was for BW. There were definitely more hate and complaints about BW before the Team Plasma two parter was banned. Perhaps not as much as it was after those episodes, but I think BW was still compared to DP frequently and considered a downgrade. Not to mention people complained about Pikachu losing to Snivy for years and I don't think that too many fans liked the Gym battles either. Despite the more negative discussions here, I don't think that PM has reached BW levels of negative reception from fans. At most, I'd say that it's more mixed than even SM was when it started out, but I think people are still more hopeful for PM to find its footing more so than giving up on it completely at the moment.

I haven't gone to the Serebii forums in years, but I'm sure plenty of people like the series over there as well. It's also pretty ridiculous to use a few sites to determine how every fan feels about this series. The online community isn't a hive mind where everyone has the same exact opinions on every series. People feel differently about each series and characters. I hate Iris immensely, but I've seen plenty of fans here and on other sites that do like her. It's perfectly fine to dislike PM, but to say that no one else likes it is pretty dismissive towards those who do like it. I dislike BW, but I wouldn't say that everyone dislikes it. Even though it's still my least favorite series, rewatching it again actually improved my opinion on it and I could kind of see why people would like it more than I did as a whole.

For me, this reminds me of how I felt during the Advanced Generation. I was angry that Misty was gone and didn't really give the series a chance despite hearing some people say it was best but I stuck with those that were disdainful of the anime and of Haruka/May.

Sometimes I would say, "This is clearly the worst series. There's no wonder why the movies don't come in theaters in the US..." as if Misty had such an impact that the series couldn't produce money overseas anymore.

At some point, I would mock the idea of liking the Advanced generation and those who enjoyed despite the fact that I still watched and enjoyed the movies (which happened to have some of the better films.)

My nostalgic glasses didn't allow me to enjoy the series simply because I didn't want to enjoy it.

It wasn't until I stopped and took off the nostalgia glasses that I realized that they were foggy and unclear. I was too busy wanting to hate that I couldn't see any positives. If someone disagreed, they were the enemy.

Sometimes to enjoy a series is to look at it and remember that its a new series that with time, it'll hopefully surprise and delight you.

Wow where do I begin? First off, not everyone hates it. I personally think it's just fine; not great mind you, but not that bad either. Most of the things that folks complain about this series are fine with me such as Go catching a lot of Pokemon and getting more screentime than most other characters. I'm also ok with Ash not catching any Pokemon right now although that may change in a few months. Koharu being a background character pisses me off but she will probably begin being more active soon anyways.

Second of all like I said before in one of your other 'this series sucks!!!' threads, why do you even keep tabs on this show when you've made your point many times before about how awful you think this series is? I just don't understand why anyone would watch something that they obvious hate. And again not everyone dislikes this series, so '3 years of torture' is subjective. :censored:

Last edited:
I understand if anyone likes this series I got absolutely no problem with that.

I just give my opinion, If I watch this series is for Team Rocket and for cool battles, we are not having neither of that? Then personally I don't like this series.

Im just saying my opinion, but if I do a review not with my hearth but with my head, I will probably find some good points and realizing why people likes this. Maybe that they're trying something different than we have had for more than 20 years.

Yesterday I said that 1 episode of Twilght Wings FOR ME was better than 8 episodes of the anime, Why? Cause it had an story, game plot , and the most important, it shows another side of the Pokémon World that you cannot see in the videogames. This is something that Pokemon 2019 is not doing in my opinion, we just have Go that is trying to catch Mew by catching all the Pokémon he sees, and Ash... Ash is just there.

This series could be better, maybe in 3 months I'm at this forums saying that this is the best series ever, maybe in 6 months we are having the True SW/SH anime, who knows. Pokemon anime is just like that for me it has his ups and downs.

In my opinion when we could start seeing where this series is going is the Leon Episode, it's the first episode with Sword Shield characters. Let's see then...

Last edited:
Please note: The thread is from 4 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom