• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

8 episodes in and nobody even likes it

It seems really premature to make judgments on this series and I think that the people who absolutely hate it should give it a chance because it could get better later on.

My one regret about this series is that it was promoted as being a series about visiting old regions when I wish that that part hadn't been mentioned in any of the pre-release series summaries because it gave people incredibly high expectations that were never going to be met.

I hate the obvious bait and switching that went into the titles and summaries rather than the series itself, but it still has a lot of flaws I'm not willing to let slide, the main ones being that one piece of country/rodeo music, Go's catch luck, the Pokédex calling out Pokémon Go catch bonuses as well as its voice in general and the worst offender; the overall lack of a female presence.

This series has not yet reached the point of no return, but if we end up going for 3 years or more with none of those issues getting fixed (which thankfully I think is unlikely) then this series will have more than earned the vitriol it gets from some people. That being said, to say that everyone hates it is a blatant lie. Some people probably don't hate the country music or Go's Pokédex and catch luck and I doubt the lack of female presence bothers most of the young boys who watch it.

I'm not of the opinion that everyone hates the new series.

At this point, I do not care for it. There is no goal or mission of the new series other than what Go's mission is.. and well, forget him. If I wanted to catch Pokemon aimlessly for no particular reason, I'll pull my phone out and start capturing everything in site.

This anime is.... well, I do not care of it continues on or not. I am not going to use previous seasons to say that it is better or worse than previous season. I'll gladly say that I think the Sun and Moon anime makes BW look like a masterpiece, but not this anime with previous series.

It's really not fair to say that everyone hates this series. Honestly, I'm not the biggest fan of it right now, but it's still way too early for me, or anyone really, to determine if the series is a failure. We're not even 10 episodes in yet. Do I think it's gotten off to a very slow, mundane start? Yes. Does this mean it's definitely going to stay this way? No. I'm definitely not ready to write it off just yet; I'm just not rushing to watch the new episode every single week. But I'm still keeping up with what's happening and there are a couple of upcoming episodes that make me excited, the Lance vs. Leon one in particular.

It's also unfair to say we should go back to an XY style series. I know that series gets a lot of praise from the fandom, and it's fine if that's the kind of series you like, but I'm someone who really did not like XY and doesn't care to see another series like it. So that's just further proof that just because a series is popular or unpopular amongst a majority of the fanbase doesn't mean it's universally loved or hated. Different people like different things.

My one regret about this series is that it was promoted as being a series about visiting old regions when I wish that that part hadn't been mentioned in any of the pre-release series summaries because it gave people incredibly high expectations that were never going to be met.
But that's the defining feature of the series: traveling to all sorts of places around the world to meet Pokemon. They never said anything about Ash revisiting his past, and the two posters showed zero characters other than Ash and Go.

But that's the defining feature of the series: traveling to all sorts of places around the world to meet Pokemon. They never said anything about Ash revisiting his past, and the two posters showed zero characters other than Ash and Go.

While that's true, I can't really blame people for thinking or hoping that they'd throw some references to the past. With the setup of traveling around the world, Ash recalling some of his friends or events that happened when he was in those regions before would potentially feel more organic than they would otherwise. Maybe people were hoping for too much off the bat with the premise, but I can understand having some hope for something like that to happen.

I think it'll pick up. I remember how no one really cared about early-to-mid XY here and how dead it was on the forums but picked up after Serena's first showcase episode. The same might happen with the 2019 series.
It may but, just as was an issue with Serena, they need some kind of direction because we’re about to be 10 episodes in and it’s basically just all a giant non sequitur.

I thought XY made a very strong impression during the first few episodes. They immediately provided all sorts of actions and stories they were planning to go with. Ash tried to challenge Lumiose gym but got thrown out, Ash and Clemont had a battle, Froakie saved Pikachu from Team Rocket, the group learned about Froakie's past from Professor Sycamore, Garchomp got controlled by Team Rocket, Ash climbed Lumiose Tower, Ash jumped off Lumiose Tower, we saw Blaziken Mask, Amourshipping was set up, Ash worked with Froakie's initial disobedience, Serena's goal-searching started.... there were already so many things to work with in less than ten episodes of XY that sparked a lot of speculation and discussion about the future of XY. Compared to that, Pokemon2019 doesn't really have much set up in terms of story or battle - yet.

But that doesn't mean PM2019 is hated on by everyone. It's just taking a different direction.

The idea of multiple regions at once is the thing that is problematic. I would probably find the series okay if the writing was decent but that's not the case. The first 8 episodes are shitty written and makes it confirm my fears that this series is only a nostalgic wankfest at it's finest.

Has there ever been a series this hated?
There is a series more hated.

Even Best Wishes, for all its faults, was liked until the the whole team plasma thing went awry.
That's not true whatsoever. It had many haters since the beginning.

There is nothing redeemable about it.
In your opinion.

Nobody even bothers to sub it anymore,
Not true. I've seen that every episode has been subbed. Maybe they were taken down later, but they were subbed at one point.

4chan hates it and half of that forum actually enjoyed sun and moon. Bulbagarden and Serebii Hates it. Reddit Hates it.
None of the people that frequent those places are the target audience so their opinions aren't all too relevant in the grand scheme of things.

I mean, can we just abort this trash already and go back to XY?
No, but you can go back an re-watch XY if you prefer it.

Twilight Wings released a 6 minute episode (which had no right to be as good as it was) and it made Pokemon 2019 more irrelevant than it ever was.
No it didn't.

Also, I don't think anyone here deserves 3 years of this torture
Then how about YOU just not watch it.

And I'm saying all of this as someone who doesn't like the direction this show is taking and doesn't watch regularly.

I like this series for the most part. I mean yes some things about it suck like how Ash is tagging along after Go but really at this point there isn't that much left for Ash to do since he's already a champion and has practically hit his peak. One thing that I would obviously change is Team Rocket's appearance rates. They should show up more often.

I like this series for the most part. I mean yes some things about it suck like how Ash is tagging along after Go but really at this point there isn't that much left for Ash to do since he's already a champion and has practically hit his peak. One thing that I would obviously change is Team Rocket's appearance rates. They should show up more often.

I really don't think that Ash has reached his peak and the Alola League victory doesn't mean that there isn't anywhere else for him to go either. Not to mention I still don't think that winning the Alola League is the be all end all of Ash's accomplishments. Despite having some rushed and unsatisfying battles, I think that the Battle Frontier victory is the most impressive accomplishment Ash has reached to date.

this series is only a nostalgic wankfest at it's finest.

But it's not...at least not yet. I really wouldn't call them going to other regions "nostalgic." It's all looked pretty generic thus far, and there really hasn't been much reference, if any, to Ash's former travels there. Even when we've had appearances from Pokemon like Bulbasaur, Piplup, and Crogunk, for example, they don't belong to Ash, Dawn, or Brock. I don't think Ash even said anything along the lines of "I have a Bulbasaur" or "one of my friends had a Piplup".

Outside of like the very first episode where we see Ash and Pikachu's first meeting (again), I personally haven't felt any nostalgia at all watching this series so far.

I personally think Pokemon 2019 makes sense from a character development perspective.

Ash becoming a research fellow after living with two professors and helping with the ultrabeast situation just makes sense. It also seems that in the Pokemon World, many striving trainers turn to research at some point when they're not sure what their next move is.

Ash knows that travelling the world will give him invaluable experience and will help him get a step closer to his dream of being a Pokemon master.

This series is by no means perfect, but that can be said about every Pokemon series. That said, it makes me happy and allows me to wind down.

I've never been huge into what qualifies an episode to what is not a filler episode (catches, evolutions, gyms) as I don't think people know what filler is tbh. I prefer episodes where there is a human element that can be relatable or funny.

This series, for me, is the perfect sequel to Sun and Moon.

But it's not...at least not yet. I really wouldn't call them going to other regions "nostalgic." It's all looked pretty generic thus far, and there really hasn't been much reference, if any, to Ash's former travels there. Even when we've had appearances from Pokemon like Bulbasaur, Piplup, and Crogunk, for example, they don't belong to Ash, Dawn, or Brock. I don't think Ash even said anything along the lines of "I have a Bulbasaur" or "one of my friends had a Piplup".

Outside of like the very first episode where we see Ash and Pikachu's first meeting (again), I personally haven't felt any nostalgia at all watching this series so far.

Nostalgia in a sense of people who grew up with region X (games and anime). Meaning visiting important locations, meeting past legendaries etc. Of course there can't be any real nostalgia coming up when there's no real continuity. That's what maked the series so bad. It's a half hearted try to attract fans from multiple generations into the series and that's disgusting.

Nostalgia in a sense of people who grew up with region X (games and anime). Meaning visiting important locations, meeting past legendaries etc. Of course there can't be any real nostalgia coming up when there's no real continuity. That's what maked the series so bad. It's a half hearted try to attract fans from multiple generations into the series and that's disgusting.
Problem there is that even with visiting past locations or meeting legendaries it’s done in such a superficial way that you can’t really feel nostalgic about it. Outside of them recreating Ash and Pikachu’s first meeting, I don’t think we’ve really had anything nostalgic happen since the episodes of Sun and Moon where they travel to Kanto.

I think the biggest problem with this season is the lack of a female protagonist and arcs. I also prefer DP and XY but that was because they did a good job with making the female protagonists co-stars (Hikari moreso than Serena but her emotional development is still great) and had some bigger arcs between all the fillers (Shinji/Paul, Alain, Team Galatic/Flare, Hunter J, the league, contests, the implied romance etc).

They jumped into the fillers too quickly and the main characters' goals are vague (which is something Koharu even points out). Gou has caught a lot of Pokémon but has only really bonded with one and isn't actively training his stronger Pokémon like Scyther. He doesn't seem to have a realistic plan to catch Mew at the moment which is a shame because it could be an OK goal if done right. Something I loved about DP and XY was that we actually got to see the characters train!

Maybe it's just taking time to build up on the character. Serena did a lot of exploration here and there before she settled on performing. There were so many complaints about her not having a goal for the first fifty or so episodes but eventually she got her own story arc that was quite good. Pokemon 2019 is just barely in 9 episodes, so it could take time.

Please note: The thread is from 4 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom