• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

8 episodes in and nobody even likes it

He only caught Taillow to locate Wurmple, so Taillow is a collectible and is even used as a tool.
And Satoshi only caught Mukubird to locate Pikachu.
Remember the backlash episode 7 recieved, for instance? Because Ash used Mr.Mime instead of his other reserves?
Difference is, they don't constantly bash him and calling him names because of that.

lack of trainer battle syndrom.
We got a nice Alolan League final without Cynthia , Ritchie and Battle Tree hoping for old rooster team pokemon exchange used...

Alolan League was short, not enough pokemon, moves and abilities but was interesting come back of battling on the right level.

Ash battling some League Champions with 3vs3 or 6vs6 to win and maybe loose to Cynthia would be cool actually.

Are you really comparing inanimate objects/tools to living and sentient creatures?
Absolutely. We've had entire series not bat an eye at how it's not possible to simply condense so much stuff into a confined space and still have room. I don't see why worrying about the space of a park would be an issue unless OLM decides to make it an issue.

It was the longest League we've had to date by far. No other League arc has even reached 10 episodes.

amount of pokemon battling each other? rounds and 3vs3 and 6vs6 battles?

I don't know how to count the first round bc it was weird.

Amount of Ash pokemon vs oponets? appearnces of each of Ash pokemon in the league, their oponents , amount of moves and abilities used by all?

amount of pokemon battling each other? rounds and 3vs3 and 6vs6 battles?

I don't know how to count the first round bc it was weird.

Amount of Ash pokemon vs oponets? appearnces of each of Ash pokemon in the league, their oponents , amount of moves and abilities used by all?
It wasn't the first time Ash has only used his current party in a League. And unlike previous Leagues, every battle was shown. Because every battle mattered. The amounts of used moves and Abilities aren't everything.

It wasn't the first time Ash has only used his current party in a League. And unlike previous Leagues, every battle was shown. Because every battle mattered. The amounts of used moves and Abilities aren't everything.

But worth checking up too. Would make the anime much better

If I remind right Kanto was 8 gyms, where he battled something like 13 pokem, then league was with shown battles against 12 pokemon.

followed by Orange Islands with 6 battles in gyms and league head a full 6vs6 , thats 6

Johto was 8 gyms, where he battled against 21 pokemon, in the league he battles against 19 pokemon,

Hoen, 8 gym, where battled against 23 pokemon, in the league he battled 19 okemon

followed by Battlefrontier with 19 battles

gen 4 , 8 gyms with 25 battles, then in league shown battling 14 pokemon

gen 5, 8 gyms with 23 pokemon, league against officially 10 shown

gen 6, 8 gyms with 20 pokemon, the league was against 14 shown

gen 7 , ok 4 kahunas, that were 11pokemon used.
In the league against ... battle royal would count as 5 wins for pikachu even if that was weird with so many pokemon, 7 and vs Kukui 6 , that would be together 18.

We can hope that now we could get a Battletree arc or saga with a 6vs6 against Cynthia and maybe Ritchie , Gary and someone else like the Darkrai trainer using other legendaries?... would be cool to see Incineroar with Fake Out and others... even Naganadel and Greninja coming back for battles would be actually cool in this situation.

I counted only Ash but maybe if we count also other battles of his rivals then maybe its different?
I didnt counted rematches. If we count how many times pikachu did battled in each... and his other pokemon against rivals...
you get what I mean? I need to give credid to Alola that we saw his rivals in more battles then in previous generations.

taking they will eventually send him to Galar on league and gyms, then hope each gym will have 3 pokemon, eve change G leaders pokes if needed and give us 3 battles 6vs6 or more 3vs3, to make both gyms and league better for Ash to evolve his team or use previous gen pokemon. Would be great opportunity to make his pikachu and one starter get Gigantamax but he can chose what one should transform into battle with the expansions. Taking how big Galar is and the amount of pokemon it's good they created this new anime to show some pokemon now.
Have a weird feeling Go will give Ash Scorchbunny if he catches Mew... practically ash cathing and evolving all three starters is possible but they could make him get the big grass/dragon , Drednaw , Cramorant or Dracovish in exchange... a good generation for Ash to get a quite good team of 5 pokemon... maybe even Corviknight, would be his second steel type actually? Dragapult would fit Ash nice actually.

Last edited:
Again, the context of both situations is different. You're comparing inanimate and lifeless objects to living, breathing, sentient creatures who are as smart as (if not) smarter than humans... and that comparison seems a bit desperate and last-resort. Most of the time in past series, Pokemon - especially of the main cast - were humanized (not anthro) in a way this series has failed to do so far. Hence the question of limited living space comes in, especially when you factor in individual needs and habitats of every species of Pokemon. Inanimate objects like tables and chairs didn't have these issues.
Oak's ranch has been a thing since 1997. Somehow this is only now an issue, when in reality the anime has never made a point of Pokemon requiring unlimited space.

The fact that Ash trains most of his Pokemon before he retires them, only makes it harder for them to adjust to ranch life. But most fans don't seem to bat an eye.

Again, the context of both situations is different. You're comparing inanimate and lifeless objects to living, breathing, sentient creatures who are as smart as (if not) smarter than humans... and that comparison seems a bit desperate and last-resort. Most of the time in past series, Pokemon - especially of the main cast - were humanized (not anthro) in a way this series has failed to do so far. Hence the question of limited living space comes in, especially when you factor in individual needs and habitats of every species of Pokemon. Inanimate objects like tables and chairs didn't have these issues.

The argument is not comparing living creatures to robots and tables. The argument is that the anime has always run on the logic that things are bigger than they appear when the plot demands it. In a series where physics, chemistry, and biology are perpetually on vacation, I don't see why the logistics of living outside of water Pokemon being in water, ice pokemon being in cold caves and snow, and other similar conditions would be of any concern.

Unlike robots and tables, the anime has never treated Pokemon like tools or objects, at least not counting the current series. Any instances that were shown were portrayed in a negative, evil or immoral light. The anime has always humanized the Pokemon as humans' equal so yeah, your point falls flat as well.
More like you're just throwing non sequitur arguments around and fail to answer his points.

The argument is not comparing living creatures to robots and tables. The argument is that the anime has always run on the logic that things are bigger than they appear when the plot demands it. In a series where physics, chemistry, and biology are perpetually on vacation, I don't see why the logistics of living outside of water Pokemon being in water, ice pokemon being in cold caves and snow, and other similar conditions would be of any concern.
If the physics don't matter, how do you explain regionall variants?

I mean if there are species which developed diffirent typing or body to better match diffirent climates, why not make those logistics a point? Seems quite lazy.

Or they're trying to shield the series from reallistic physics because otherwise TRio would have died a long time ago...?

Difference is, they don't constantly bash him and calling him names because of that.
Maybe because Ash is a character who was around for two decades, while Gou is fresh?

I mean, after 1000+ episodes and 20+ movies of the anime trying to persuade people into Ash being a morally righteous and kind person, after all the journeys he went through with his Pokemon, case examples of him being insensitive or OOC are easier to simply be viewed as mishandled portrayall of an otherwise positive image.

Gou, on the other hand, did something that left a bad taste in many people's mouths. I definietly agree that calling him a psychopath is overselling it, but he demistified a major theme of the show, or should I say the writers did by making things too easy for him.

Ash is judged by a pretty long history, whereas Gou is judged just by the nine episodes that aired thus far, not to mention the fact that he recieves more screentime than Ash. He's omnipresent, he's groundbreaking, and so its much easier to pick him up as a punching bag for the faults this series had.

Not sayin' that's a... good thing, but it is something I can understand.

I literally said 'some people' so that obviously doesn't include everyone. :rolleyes: Like, for every fan who might have wanted Ash to use one of his reserve Pokemon in that episode, there was approximately an equal amount of people who wanted Ash to just get a new Pokemon to use instead, or did y'all miss the theories that people were coming up with about Ash catching a Pokemon either offscreen in SS006 or at the beginning of SS007 in preparation for the tournament?
Why does wanting Ash to catch new Pokemon translate into not wanting him to use his reserves? Ash is so laid back and in the background this series that many people, myself included would love to see him do anything noteworthy at this point.

EDIT: So as I wrote this, episode 10 aired and apparently had Ash capture a Pokemon, so... Yeah, probably should have written that yesterday.

Last edited:
If the physics don't matter, how do you explain regionall variants?

I mean if there are species which developed diffirent typing or body to better match diffirent climates, why not make those logistics a point? Seems quite lazy.

The plot.

If anything in this series was realistic, then Piplup's bubble beam would make him risk dehydration and lack of oxygen every single time he used it since obviously he can't hold that much water and air in his body without creating a super pressurized ice chamber or pulling it from another dimension. Don't get me started on Volcanion.

The plot.

Wait, what? What plot demanded regional forms? When were they even relevant to the plot? The plot definitely never required them, nor did it demand that they exist, so I really find this response confusing and weird.

If anything in this series was realistic, then Piplup's bubble beam would make him risk dehydration and lack of oxygen every single time he used it since obviously he can't hold that much water and air in his body without creating a super pressurized ice chamber or pulling it from another dimension. Don't get me started on Volcanion.

Realistic in the Pokémon universe or in our world? 'cause if we go by realism within the Pokémon world, Piplup being able to use Bubble Beam without dying makes sense, as it is well established that Pokémon have some mysterious powers and abilities that other living beings can't reproduce. If we go by realistic relative to our world, then yeah, it defies science as we know it and it doesn't make any sense.

I'd say regional variants are a combination of both versions of realism, as they are based on a real-life concept, but (more importantly) they also make sense within the Pokémon world and don't contradict any pre-established rule within the universe (although some of the explanations for their existence can be really bizarre, but that's besides the point). And physics do exist and matter in the Pokémon world, even if they might sometimes be more loosely defined than in our world.

Same director as Sun & Moon so I'm not surprised at the slow start. I do have some complaints, especially regarding Team Rocket, but I don't dislike it.

I have been enjoying it throughout, I am not bothered at all by Gou's catching spree, plus I know for a fact that sooner or later things will change for Gou (especially if it comes to him trying to catch a super-powerful Pokémon) in fact this has already started when he wasted all his Pokéballs on a Dewgong. Besides, Gou already got a set up for his character that made him interesting for me in the third episode were we find out his social skills aren't very good and an indication that he got hurt by someone or multiple people in the past.

I look forward to learning more about Gou's character and his past, it's good they aren't rushing his development by revealing everything in one go, but it's also good we got some hints towards it too so to show there's something more to Gou than just catching every Pokémon.

Last edited:
Please note: The thread is from 4 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom