• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

8 episodes in and nobody even likes it

To be fair, outside of Ash, we went from Advanced until SM without any of the main cast fully evolving their starter (and even then, Serena is the only one in that timeframe whose starter evolved at all). The starters’ evolutions are actually probably some of the most shafted Pokémon in the anime because most of the time they’re just left in their plushie stages because of marketing the plushies.

Not exactly true. There was May’s Blaziken and Brock’s Marshtomp in Advanced, and...yeeeeah, I think that’s it.

Not exactly true. There was May’s Blaziken and Brock’s Marshtomp in Advanced, and...yeeeeah, I think that’s it.
Yea as I had said, we hadn’t had any full evolutions in the supporting cast after Advanced until SM. To be specific, Piplup didn’t evolve at all, skip BW due to Ash getting all the starters (and even then none of them fully evolved with only Tepig evolving at all) Fennekin only went to mid stage and Chespin didn’t evolve at all. Since May, it wasn’t until Lana in SM that anyone that wasn’t Ash actually fully evolved their starter.

Even if we count Ash, that’s 8 fully evolved starters in the main cast out of the 21 who had been owned. Those are some terrible numbers especially for the Pokémon meant to be the advertisement face of the generations.

Last edited:
Yea as I had said, we hadn’t had any full evolutions in the supporting cast after Advanced until SM. To be specific, Piplup didn’t evolve at all, skip BW due to Ash getting all the starters (and even then none of them fully evolved with only Tepig evolving at all) Fennekin only went to mid stage and Chespin didn’t evolve at all. Since May, it wasn’t until Lana in SM that anyone that wasn’t Ash actually fully evolved their starter.

Even if we count Ash, that’s 8 fully evolved starters in the main cast out of the 21 who had been owned. Those are some terrible numbers especially for the Pokémon meant to be the advertisement face of the generations.
Some of those unevolved cases may have been because of marketability. That's what doomed Rowlet, at least.

Yeah right that's what people said about Decidueye too and look how that turned out. I've since learned that fan opinions on how supposedly marketable fully evolved Pokemon are aren't worth listening to most of the time no offense.
When I first saw Decidueye and after Ash caught Rowlet in SM04, I firmly believed the anime would bring it up as the next Greninja or Sceptile-they have similar motifs and Decidueye seemed marketable (it even got a place in Pokken). Then the series continued and eternal disappointment was had.

So, it's not certain. Scorbunny seems marketable in its base form and its final form, but the writers have been sporadic as of late in terms of captures/evolutions etc; the fact that Go refuses to develop it as of now doesn't show much promise either.

And with Darmanitan beind added to his asset, Gou probably will not try to train Scorbunny for a while since he now has a strong Fire-Type Pokemon to do the job.

Yeah right that's what people said about Decidueye too and look how that turned out. I've since learned that fan opinions on how supposedly marketable fully evolved Pokemon are aren't worth listening to most of the time no offense.
Well... I never thought Ash would be getting decidueye, I was pretty insistent on his Torracat evolving, and those ended up being true. Not everyone thinks the same way. And the comment I responded to said that we will not get any fully evolved Galar starter since all of them are not marketable fully evolved and obviously that isn’t true. I just gave the example of Cinderace since it’s the easiest to justify as being marketable.

I thought that Ash would get Decidueye myself. Rowlet was easily the most popular of the Alola starters, Decidueye has a pretty cool marketable design and giving Ash his first Ghost type would have been neat. I didn't think it was guaranteed to happen, but I thought it had a pretty decent chance. Looking back, I'm not too surprised that they didn't go that route. Rowlet itself was more marketable cute compared to Froakie for example. That combined with its popularity probably made them want to keep it unevolved. Plus, it was pretty much a gag Pokemon. They didn't go overboard with its sleeping gag for awhile, but I do notice some signs for it during the first SM season upon rewatching it. Ash getting an Incineroar was more surprising considering SM was nearly over and they already had Professor Kukui's Incineroar, but I think that the Litten line was more popular in Japan than I initially thought it was.

Cinderace still looks like it could work as a cool marketable fully evolved starter. It looks cool and strong, but still has a good amount of marketable cuteness at the same time. Since Gou seems more focused on catching rather than battling, that might make it less likely for it to evolve. It's too early to say either way though.

Yeah right that's what people said about Decidueye too and look how that turned out.

And Samurott. I admit that I'm a bit biased about Scorbunny since I like it the way it is now, but I still think it's plain to a lot of viewers that Go's Scorbunny is probably going down the same road as Piplup, Oshawott, Chespin and Rowlet.

I'd say it's less "nobody likes it" and more "nothing is happening"

14 episodes in and neither Go or Ash have even made a token attempt at actually raising any of the pokemon they've caught
I think this is another reason why I especially hate how Gou has to catch 2 or 3 Pokemon in several episodes. What's the point?

He wants to catch them all. He's not focusing on battling or connecting with them.
I'm really sad that the N & Team Plasma plotline was already over with BW. N could be a great antagonist for Gou since he seems like the exact type of Trainer that N & the old Team Plasma in the game would really hate.

He wants to catch them all. He's not focusing on battling or connecting with them.

I think that's the problem some people are having with Gou's goal though. If he isn't focused on battling or connecting with his Pokemon, then there's not a lot of emotional investment for the audience to have, especially if he has little to no challenges in getting these multiple captures. Not to mention it's hard to care about these new Pokemon if they don't appear that often and they don't have much, if any, noticeable personality traits.

I think this is another reason why I especially hate how Gou has to catch 2 or 3 Pokemon in several episodes. What's the point?
It'd made a LOT more sense if rather than catching an entire evolutionary line, he caught the base form and raised it to fill out the pokedex

He'd also save Sakugari trillions in terms of food costs that way

Also, what was stopping tailow from eating the wurmple overnight when Ash and Go weren't there?

It'd made a LOT more sense if rather than catching an entire evolutionary line, he caught the base form and raised it to fill out the pokedex

He'd also save Sakugari trillions in terms of food costs that way

Also, what was stopping tailow from eating the wurmple overnight when Ash and Go weren't there?

Mr. Mime most likely.

Please note: The thread is from 4 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom