• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Review S07 EP41: Take This House and Shuppet

Dogasu

ロケット団よ永遠
Reaction score
Japanese Episode AG 81: The Mansion of Shuppet!
American Episode 353: "Take This House and Shuppet"

0617.jpg

Kids' WB!, 10:00am ET
No known encore airing this week

I'll be out of town when this episode actually airs, so that's why I'm posting this so early.

Anyway, Ash and the gang meet a Shuppet and do crazy things with it. Also, there are lots of afros everywhere.

...Yeah, you can tell I haven't seen the episode yet. ^^;;

Post your thoughts about the episodes here. Please mark any spoilers for episodes not that have yet to air in America in spoiler tags.

(Japanese title edited in. --Geodude)

Last edited by a moderator:
The cards are left intact kinda.....we see the back of them which are black and James calls them Pokemon Index Cards.

Did Emily's voice sound weird to anyone besides me?

And I don't get the title, what's it supposed to be a pun of?

Well, there is a Dead Kennedys song titled "Take This Job and Shove It," but I don't know if there is something else to which the title is alluding.

Is that a new logo 4Kids has at the end of the credits for today's episode, or have they been using that for a while and I just haven't been noticing?

The title is a play on the phrase "Take This Job And Shove It", which was (I think) a union slogan.

Say, I like Rocketshipping as much as the next person, but how much do you want to bet James' "You always hurt the ones you love" line gets taken way out of context?

What *is* it with ghost types and playgrounds?

Did the opening narration seem rushed to anyone else? I think the narrator had to cram in a whole bunch in a short time. Either way it was hilarious, but...

So...something called a 'blaster beam' gave them afros?

OK, so Meowth opens the door by picking the lock...and then expects it to open again by doing Fury Swipes on it? It never occured to him to, say, try to pick the lock again?

Heehee. On the 'pillowhead' preview, Gary's sillouette was unaltered. I guess he has pillow hair as-is.

...ok, so how is Exploud the best choice to battle Tyrogue? Isn't Tyrogue Fighting? Wouldn't Dustox be a much better choice?

Wait a moment--Brock's BLUSHING when things start levitating! Wrong reaction entirely there, buddyboy.

What, May, you think this is the first time someone's wanted to make a hotel out of a haunted house? It's a tourist attraction!

When Swellow is called out, it looks like it was added in later, like one of the WB promo things.

...Max blushes too when he realizes that May sent Torchic after him. Maybe Ketsuban is right.

So when he's sick he wears the same clothes in bed?

James consults the cards, but we don't get to see them. He apparently keeps them in sleeves, though.

Around this point it occured to me that Shuppet has a single pupil like Duskull.

Swellow continues its 'added in later' animation when it flies into the room.

How the HELL did Emily forget that there's a Shuppet who lives there? Especially one who she used to play with!

So apparently Shuppets can't make themselves immaterial either. You'd think more ghosts would be able to do that.

One would think that Jesse would have a *huge* afro, given what it has to work with.

Emily sounded a bit strange to me too. She sounded like an old woman trying to sound younger.

Am I the only one disappointed that JJ&M didn't have a Boss Fantasy about Shuppet? Or anything involving the potential of Afro-Boss? (hey, he's a Rocket. He can't have sane hair *all* the time)

And Swellow hovers behind Ash looking added-in again.

Were the captions running fast for anyone else? They ran so fast for me that I had to turn them off, and it was the same on every channel I tried.

Is that a new logo 4Kids has at the end of the credits for today's episode, or have they been using that for a while and I just haven't been noticing?

They've been using that logo since the Fox Box was changed to 4Kids TV, minus the entertainment part.

...ok, so how is Exploud the best choice to battle Tyrogue? Isn't Tyrogue Fighting? Wouldn't Dustox be a much better choice?

That's what I thought too, with the 4x resistance. Besides, the only attack Tyrogue knows in-game is Tackle, unless you get Brick Break or something else from the other Hitmons.

Blackjack Gabbiani said:
The title is a play on the phrase "Take This Job And Shove It", which was (I think) a union slogan.

Did the opening narration seem rushed to anyone else? I think the narrator had to cram in a whole bunch in a short time. Either way it was hilarious, but...

OK, so Meowth opens the door by picking the lock...and then expects it to open again by doing Fury Swipes on it? It never occured to him to, say, try to pick the lock again?

So when he's sick he wears the same clothes in bed?

Around this point it occured to me that Shuppet has a single pupil like Duskull.

So apparently Shuppets can't make themselves immaterial either. You'd think more ghosts would be able to do that.

Emily sounded a bit strange to me too. She sounded like an old woman trying to sound younger.

Were the captions running fast for anyone else? They ran so fast for me that I had to turn them off, and it was the same on every channel I tried.
There's also "Take This House And Sell It".

It seemed a tad rushed. I wonder how they did it in the Japanese version. Maybe they time-elapsed it in the dub.

I wondered about that, too.

Maybe they meant it the other way around, but it "didn't come out right." By the way, didn't that Nuzleaf look suspiciously like a Sealeo?

I do, too. Am I supposed to change? o_O Maybe his wardrobe is just like Dexter's (from Dexter's Laboratory): filled with the same thing over and over again.
And May had James-green eyes.

It does! Wow, and I just thought it was supposed to be somewhat crosseyed.

It disappeared earlier in the episode. Now it can't get out of a net. That one Misdreavus couldn't get out from under a tree. What's up with these things?

I don't know about an old woman trying to sound young, but I heard the odd accent.

They weren't that fast for me. However, the words ran together, or some letters were excluded, and sometimes they just stopped altogether.

Does anyone find it slightly odd that they would put in a commercial where Batman punches the Joker, but take out this scene?
AG17.jpg

<(Serebii<) (>Serebii)> ^(Serebii)^

Anyway, it was interesting enough. Lots of sibling rivalry fun (though there was some [too much] cheese), and Torchic is plain precious, not to mention that scene where TR was crying. (Pic from Filb.) I liked the "Max meets Shuppet" scene in Japanese mich more, though. I just love "'Ah! Kimi wa Kagebouzu da ne!' 'Kagebou! Bou bou.'" with "Pokettari Monsutari" (how do you spell that?) playing in the background. I like Kagebouzu's voice way more then Shuppet's. 8.3/10

For the millionth time, whatever the folks at ShoPro are smoking, I want some of it.

The ep was shockingly painless, and the opening was somewhat funny... but haven't we seen this ep five years ago, only in Kanto?. Something about it, probably the playground, made it very "Hassle in the Castle"-esque. Only it was a bit of a dissappointment that TR's motto lacked the double entendres this time around (a la "itching/complaining").
And speaking of TR...

"He blows more fuses than a screwed-up toaster"- Jessie

Okay, note to all the gentle writers out there: Please, never again, write dialogue that compares Giovanni to a kitchen appliance. You have no idea what kind of mental images that gave me... wrong. Deliciously wrong, but still wrong.

Trainers Choice wasn't nearly as painful this time around, still...

What was up with the shot of Celebi during the Aftertoons promo? As far as I know, Celebi's only appearance was in the fourth movie, so unless they're planning on running it one day in the near future, I think someone screwed up.. Ditto the Legendary Birds.

Overall, not as painful as the other fillers. 7/10.

Kthleen said:
Does anyone find it slightly odd that they would put in a commercial where Batman punches the Joker, but take out this scene?
AG17.jpg

<(Serebii<) (>Serebii)> ^(Serebii)^

Pokemon has a TV-Y rating. The Batman has a TV-Y7 rating. That's all the censors base their decisions on.

I still haven't started on my comparison for the episode yet because I've been so busy with "Disaster of Disguise." But hopefully I can get "Take This House and Shuppet" up within the next day or so.

nekusagi-chan said:
What was up with the shot of Celebi during the Aftertoons promo? As far as I know, Celebi's only appearance was in the fourth movie, so unless they're planning on running it one day in the near future, I think someone screwed up.. Ditto the Legendary Birds.

I could be mistaken, but I think that animation is from "Pokemon Symphonic Medley," aka the third AG theme.

Which is a bit odd, as 4Kids are about 40 (ish) episodes away from the new series. Then again, there were Orange League clips popping up in the Pokerap and Pikachu's Jukebox songs.

Ah, yes. Yet another wise and brilliant move from the all knowing sages at 4Kids Entertainment...

...Max blushes too when he realizes that May sent Torchic after him. Maybe Ketsuban is right.

Of course I'm right. But did that stop you and Otherket from getting annoyed that time we were watching the Jirachi movie and I was pointing out what May's wish obviously was? Noooo. =P

but haven't we seen this ep five years ago, only in Kanto?
That is the problem I have with the Advanced episodes is that it is something I've seen before in Kanto.

Besides that I overall liked it. It was one of the better fillers for me. I loved the little playground even though it wasn't as fancy as Gengar's.

Dogasu said:
Pokemon has a TV-Y rating. The Batman has a TV-Y7 rating. That's all the censors base their decisions on.
But they still stuck the Y7 commercial in the Y show twice.

nekusagi-chan said:
Okay, note to all the gentle writers out there: Please, never again, write dialogue that compares Giovanni to a kitchen appliance. You have no idea what kind of mental images that gave me... wrong. Deliciously wrong, but still wrong.
Did Jessie really say "screwed-up"? Anyway, what kind of images? :angel:

Dogasu said:
I could be mistaken, but I think that animation is from "Pokemon Symphonic Medley," aka the third AG theme.

No. It's from Intro 5. Compare the two and you'll see that they're similar.

And, pointless factoid: Ready Go! was used as an insert song in the Japanese version of this episode.

Please note: The thread is from 19 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom