• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Review S07 EP42: A Shroomish Skirmish

Dogasu

ロケット団よ永遠
Reaction score
Japanese Episode AG 82: "The Forest's Fighting King! Combusken vs. Breloom"
American Episode 354: "A Shroomish Skirmish"

0624.jpg

Kids' WB!, 10:00am ET
No known encore airing this week

Our heroes arrive in a valley, where they are attacked by a group of Breloom! When May's Torchic gets caught in the conflict, it will have to use all of its strength to survive!

Post your thoughts about the episodes here. Please mark any spoilers for episodes not that have yet to air in America in spoiler tags.

Last edited:
One thing I didn't understand but found hysterical was when TR was eating the soup from the bowl and when they finished I think Jessie said, "Full tummies equals happy hearts" (Something along those lines). Then James responded with, "We ARE the world." Was that just a random line?
Anyway, the episode was cute. Some funny lines (besides those stated above) but I thought Torchic evolved too fast (May doesn't really use it that much). Not to mention they agreed to stop fighting because the punching was good. Couldn't somebody have won?

Another ep where TR does nothing wrong and gets punished anyway. They didn't try to capture anything, they were just trying to stay alive.

There were some amusing animation errors in the first part. One is that everyone recalls their pokemon and then they're still running around, and the other was where James sees the apple. See, when he comments on it, Jesse leans over Wobby to get to it. Wobby seems to disappear under her...and then reappear *behind* her a few seconds later.

And shock betide! Was Trainer's Choice actually RIGHT for once?

I don't get why those Shroomish went completely mental over a few apples when you see that huge stash later on. Shows how greedy they are.

This episode...it was alright. There were a few things that drove me nuts, like Breloom and Combusken's voices, but overall it was good. I especially liked Musashi and Kojirou calling Haruka "twerpet". For some reason the way they just said it made me laugh a little. n.nU

Blackjack, the Shroomish were angry at them for stealing their apples. That's what they did wrong. :p

This episode rocked! Another good evolution episode. I must say though that i enjoyed it more in japanese back when it first came out. The japanese version is just funnier. Also, I think the very beginning of the episode wasn't as interesting as the rest of it. I agree that it's not fair Team Rocket got blasted off. Those Shroomish had a ton of food stashed away already, and it's not like they couldn't just go and find more apples; besides, Team Rocket was starving. The interaction between Corphish and Torchic was cute and it reminded me of May and Max from the last episode. Team Rocket had some great scenes, like that "twerpet" line or how they interrupted their motto to eat. And the battle sequence in the canyon at the end had AWESOME animation and choreography. For a few brief moments Pokemon was almost as action packed as DBZ. Breloom vs Combusken is one of my favorite battles in all of AG. I wish more battles were as action packed as the ones in this episode. The Breloom's voices did annoy me somewhat; they reminded me of the voice of that robot from the movie "short circut". "Number 5 is alive! Breloom!!" lol.

Overall, I give the episode 4 and 1/2 stars. I'd been expecting to give it 5 stars, but the dub wasn't as funny as the orignal and the opening moments of the episode were boring compared to the rest.

In the Trainer's Choice couldn't gastly work as well ? Isn't gastly ghost and poison type? I know I keep doing this, but this episode reminded me of Forest Grumps. I almost thought this was a filler until I saw torchic evolve at the end.

Sure Gastly is Ghost/Poison, but the Gastly line in the anime is more inclined to use Ghost attacks. And Venomoth is an even better choice, because both of its types beat Grass. After all, the question was asking which Pokemon is the BEST choice.

I got up to watch this new episode this morning, and I had to watch the whole thing without any sound, because of my area's local WB station....

That was so unfair!!!!

*cries*

Anyway, I was wondering, if anyone taped this episode, could they send me the tape by mail and let me borrow it for a day or something? I'd send it right back, of course. And if I have to, I'd even pay someone money to do this for me, because I'd really like to see this episode, before the next new episode airs.

And by the way, if anyone wants to do this for me, just tell me either by replying in this thread or by sending me a PM.

Last edited:
Blackjack Gabbiani said:
And shock betide! Was Trainer's Choice actually RIGHT for once?
What was the Trainer's Choice? (The UK is a few weeks behind you, so we've just been told to use Camerupt against the part-water Ludicolo! :rolleyes: )

Which is the best choice to use against Sunflora?
a) Venomoth
b) (Some other Pokémon that, thanks to the focus on the other two, I can't remember)
c) Gastly

8.6/10. It was fun. Torchic is just the most precious thing, and even cuter when it's about to cry, with its big little violet-blue-gray eyes. Shroomish was cute here, and Breloom, though cute, was kind of scary. (Pics from Filb.)

Is it just me, or did 1) all of the Breloom sound the same and 2) all of the Breloom sound like Eric Stuart?

I liked how Ash tried to fight the Breloom by himself. It was interesting how aggressive he was there, wanting to fight the group with his bare hands. Also, his flailing was hilarious.
th_GaiaXD.gif

I loved the motto interuption scene. That was really cute.
[ignore if you want to]It's interesting that people don't know that with enough proper water (has enough electrolytes to replenish those washed away), people could survive well enough for more than three weeks without food. (I've always heard that around 20 days is the limit that poeple should try for, and those trying anything over three days should do it with supervision.) Also, they shouldn't have gulped down all that food, because it can mess up their systems. Judging from how thick Brock's soup appeared to be, I'd say that it had quite an amount of fat in it. The impact won't be as strong as if they had gone for longer, thankfully, so they probably won't have that much of a problem. TR was right to start off with fruit, though. (Ack, knowledge on a subject tends to do this to me when watching Pokémon....)[/ignore if you want to]

Rocketshipper said:
For a few brief moments Pokemon was almost as action packed as DBZ.
I thought that, too. However, I'm not a fan of DBZ-style fighting. I liked Ash's expression during the scene, but that's about it. (Pic from Serebii.)

Last edited:
Torchic is adorable. Haven't seen this episode, but IMO nothing beats the scene in Now That's Flower Power where it tries to run up the cliff and snag the Bluk berries for tooth-rotting sweetness.

Getting this out of the way. My inner Bouldershipper was absolutely delighted, despite how...non-hintish it really was, but hey! C'mon, it was totally cool how Brock played hero to Ash's impulsiveness, how the Breloom didn't wanna battle, but really /fight/, and how Ash was pretty naive to that fact, and Brock just kept a good eye on him. I'z happy with just that.

Though, whatever happened to Grovyle? I didn't see him get recalled like all the others were, at all. It just disappeared. >.>; Minor setback, unless I blinked and really did miss it.

Anyone else think that the Breloom/Combusken fight was cool, but really annoyed that it ended the way it did? The Breloom should have gotten beaten, and not because of type matches. Because when did weepy little Torchic evolve into something that enspirited the fighter's honor+respect shindig?

...Okay, this episode, but I'm allowed to protest. Torchic's crybaby routine gave it personality; evolving into Combusken took away from that. ._.

And while Meowth's reenactment was cute...it was rather tedious. The whole poke-lingo and his translations axed the drama.

7/10
Brock, Ash, and their run from the Breloom saved it for me. Yay!

Kthleen said:
Is it just me, or did 1) all of the Breloom sound the same and 2) all of the Breloom sound like Eric Stuart?

They sounded more like Wayne Grayson, but that's just me. And yeah, they were all the same.

Toraph Bishop said:
Getting this out of the way. My inner Bouldershipper was absolutely delighted, despite how...non-hintish it really was, but hey! C'mon, it was totally cool how Brock played hero to Ash's impulsiveness, how the Breloom didn't wanna battle, but really /fight/, and how Ash was pretty naive to that fact, and Brock just kept a good eye on him. I'z happy with just that. (-> Brock, Ash, and their run from the Breloom saved it for me. Yay!)

...Okay, this episode, but I'm allowed to protest. Torchic's crybaby routine gave it personality; evolving into Combusken took away from that. ._.

Kthleen said:
They sounded more like Wayne Grayson, but that's just me. And yeah, they were all the same.
Did you really like the part where they fell down the hill after running from the pink dust Breloom fight? :angel:

I don't know how Combusken will act after this, but I really will miss little Torchic, with the fruit frolicking and the crying face and the large headedness and the occasional obliviousness and the– NG-HIEY GLAVEN!
(Pics from Serebii.)

I don't know about Wayne Grayson (he did Lance, right?), but they sounded to me like a lower version of Eric's Magby voice.

They sounded like the Breeloon form Movie 6, so that was good.

Combushken has the ugliest voice, like when it fainted from the fight and went "Wahhhughh!"

Kthleen said:
Did you really like the part where they fell down the hill after running from the pink dust Breloom fight? :angel:

XDDD Ask no questions, and get no horribly graphic reasons why this one likes that scene so bloody much.

I don't know how Combusken will act after this, but I really will miss little Torchic, with the fruit frolicking and the crying face and the large headedness and the occasional obliviousness and the? NG-HIEY GLAVEN!
(Pics from Serebii.)

Betcha whatever it acts like, it won't be bursting into tears anytime soon. =\ Or being oblivious, or doing all sorts of cute things. Torkoal and Skitty's gonna have to pick up its slack.

I don't know about Wayne Grayson (he did Lance, right?), but they sounded to me like a lower version of Eric's Magby voice.

Yes in indeed, he did. But the Breloom also reminded me of when Grayson did Brawly's Machop, except squeakier and slightly higher pitched. But you have a point, they did sound a lot like Stuart's Magby.

Okay, forget about what I said in my earlier post....

I have this episode on my computer now (I downloaded it from MIRC), and I've seen it, so now I can post my review.

XD

And here's my review of this episode:

I really liked this episode! And it was funny how Torchic and Corphish kept fighting with each other. LOL. XD Then, when Team Rocket took the apples from the Shroomish, and some of them evolved into Breloom, that was hilarious! And I thought it was interesting how Team Rocket lead the Breloom over to where Ash and everyone was. That was funny! And when one of the Breloom used that one attack (I forget which one it was), I thought it was cool how everyone got split up (I love episodes where everyone's split up, lol). It was interesting how May ended up with Mudkip, and I liked how Max ended up with Meowth again (that's exactly what happened in "A Hole Lotta Trouble", except Pikachu was with them). And I liked how Ash and Brock ended up together, that was cool. I loved the part when Ash wanted to battle the Breloom, but Brock wouldn't let him. That was funny! Although, I didn't really understand why Brock didn't want Ash to battle the Breloom. I mean, Ash was probably just gonna use his Torkoal to help calm down all the Breloom or something. Anyway, I really loved the part when Ash tried to actually fight all the Breloom himself. That was really funny! XD And one of my favorite parts in this episode was when Jessie and James were hanging on that branch, and then Ash and Brock fell on the branch too, which broke it and sent everyone falling down. That was hilarious! XD Oh, and I liked the part when May's Torchic evolved into Combusken. That was cool! Although, it was kinda sad how Ash and Brock didn't get it to see it evolve. Anyway, I really loved the battle between May's Combusken and that Breloom. It was awesome! And I agree with Rocketshipper, the animation during the battle was really good! Of course, I also liked the fact that in this episode, Meowth did some translating for everyone, so they would know what the Breloom was saying and everything. That was cool! And I liked how, at the end, Ash said that battle (between Combusken and Breloom) gave him all kinds of ideas for his next battle. That was really cool! Oh, and I also liked the part after that, when Corphish was gonna try and take some of Combusken's food, and then it got scared of Combusken and backed away. That was really funny! And overall, I really loved this episode, and it was very exciting, it had some really great battles, and it was really funny too.

Rating: 10 of 10

Last edited:
Please note: The thread is from 19 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom