• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Pokémon Snap not originally a Pokémon game: Iwata states original game's 'motivation

Status
Not open for further replies.

BulbaBot

Dreams of electric Bulbasaur
Reaction score
Pokémon Snap not originally a Pokémon game: Iwata states original game's 'motivation was unclear'

In a recent Iwata Asks column on Wii.com, Satoru Iwata, CEO and president of Nintendo Japan, revealed that Pokémon Snap was not originally a Pokémon game. The photo-taking game was transformed into a Pokémon game due to a lack of motivation, with the Pokémon world fulfilling the empty gap.

Read more on Bulbanews

Re: Pokémon Snap not originally a Pokémon game: Iwata states original game's 'motivat

Well, well now.

It still is a fun game, and I am glad it was changed.

Re: Pokémon Snap not originally a Pokémon game: Iwata states original game's 'motivat

Pretty much the same thing that happened to Epic Yarn, then.

I wonder why they revealed this so long after the game's release.

This topic sort of reminds me of how Super Smash Bros. originally wasn't going to involve Nintendo characters and was going to be called "Dragon King: The Fighting Game" but was later changed.

Anyway, always interesting to find out about development details.

Last edited:

So it's the pokemon version of Smash Bros?

man
thats odd

Intruging... Actually that discribes the entire idea process behind anything. Not just video games.

It's interesting to see what creative processes go into games, since we usually only see the end result. This end result is usually very very different from what the original idea was supposed to be.

So it's the pokemon version of Smash Bros?

In laymen terms, yes. You'd be surprised on what you'll find out when doing some Research on Video Game Development.

Last edited:

I'm glad there was a lack of motivation. Pokemon Snap is one of my favorite games of all time.

I honestly can't imagine the game NOT being about Pokémon.

I would have been happy with it being a normal game, would have loved it if it was anything like Elebits or Katamari... Just Japanese world style, I guess.

Wow, that's pretty interesting. Kind of like how Super Mario Brothers 2 in the US was actually another game that had Mario and friends shoehorned into it, to make it profitable.

A good thing they did

otherwise it probably would've sucked

Wow, that's pretty interesting. Kind of like how Super Mario Brothers 2 in the US was actually another game that had Mario and friends shoehorned into it, to make it profitable.

no...they did that because the original Japanese Mario 2 was too hard

they were right apparently

Epic yarn wasn't gonna be kirby?
This topic sort of reminds me of how Super Smash Bros. originally wasn't going to involve Nintendo characters and was going to be called "Dragon King: The Fighting Game" but was later changed.

Anyway, always interesting to find out about development details.

Super smash bros. wasn't gonna be a nintendo crossover?

News to me.

Anyways, I am suprised by this news.
What would you have to photograph then if it was going to be a non-pokemon game?

Well that is really how all spin-off games start anyway. What else could really be photographed for a few hours? Anything real-world would get old after a while.

Epic yarn wasn't gonna be kirby?

You know Prince Fluff?

He was the protagonist at first.

Stirring up interest ;)

Though this might explain the lack of sequels.

Well that's unfortunate for the Kirby franchise though, been waiting this long for a game, turns out the game you got wasn't made for Kirby in the first place.
In lame mans terms, yes. You'd be surprised on what you'll find out when doing some Research on Video Game Development.
The word you're looking for is layman
Well that is really how all spin-off games start anyway. What else could really be photographed for a few hours? Anything real-world would get old after a while.
And how would Pokemon Snap not get old after awhile? The game wouldn't be taking place in your back yard.

Last edited:

It's a good thing they did make it a Pokemon game. There's a bunch of people I know that wouldn't know or care about Pokemon if it wasn't for Snap.

Next week we'll find out Metroid Other M wasn't originally a Metroid game.

This was "news" in 1998, but now it is just a factoid that most people have forgotten about. There was an article about this on a now-defunct Nintendo 64 fansite:

Back in February of 1995, Nintendo advertised a project called "Jack & the Beanstalk" to the public. The project's purpose was, of course, to create a whole new kind of game for Nintendo's (yet-to-be-known back then) 64-bit console. Several non-industry people were selected for the project by a four-man board of these well-known men: Shigesato Itoi (creator of Mother), Satoshi Iwata (HAL), Kouichi Nakamura (Chun Soft), and Shigeru Miyamoto.

Since then, the project has been under wraps, and nothing was seen or heard. But nearly three years later, this past February, we found out what the project's all about.

The Jack & the Beanstalk project is comprised of 10+ people. The team is led by Youichi Yamamoto. Believe it or not, before he joined the project, he worked for a construction designing firm. By taking part in the advertisement, he was able land this dream job.

The project has an office on the second floor of the Nintendo Kanda Building in Kanda, Tokyo. The project is a game being developed for the 64DD under the supervision of HAL Labs.

The game they are developing is called Pokemon Snap. This game was first shown at the last Nintendo Space World show. The game's premise is quite simple, as it takes place in a field that's just like a safari ride in a theme park. While you move through the field automatically, your job is to take pictures of the Pokemons. But it's not as easy as it sounds.

Most of you are unfamiliar with Pokemon, right? Of course you know about Pokemon for Game Boy. But this game is a whole new kind of game featuring Pokemons. Let me explain. Pokemons are creatures currently captivating many children and even some adults. There are total of 151 Pokemons. Just like real-life animals, every Pokemon has its own habits and behaviors. Some Pokemons won't be out while it's bright. Some Pokemons are quite cautious. Some Pokemons are fond of hiding in shrubs. So you have to use something to allure the Pokemons in order to take a nice picture.

But don't misunderstand. This game isn't meant to be beat, finished, or completed. You just feel immersed in the Pokemon world. Pokemons are living, playful creatures, and may even be fighting in the game. Iwata says he even wants kids who couldn't play Pokemon for Game Boy to play this game.

The team is taking the time to painstakingly create life-like, lively, and cute Pokemons. And from what I can tell, those efforts have paid off so far.

In this game, you can use your controller just like a real camera. To take a shot, press Z and choose the correct angle with the analog Control Stick. Then push the R button. When asked about using the R button instead of A or B, Yamamoto replies: "If you take a shot, the R button should be used with your right hand's index finger. Kids will later realize that it's supposed to like that when they use a real camera. So I won't change it if even 'Master' Miyamoto asks me to change it."

As stated above, Pokemon Snap is a 64DD game because the peripheral has capabilities for saving lots of pictures. You can trade your pictures with others, too. There are also plans to release additional worlds to explore.

Pokemon Snap is currently going to be released at the end of the year. To boast the 64DD's penetration, it will probably be released simultaneously with the 64DD's launch. But only time will tell.

And that is the truth about the Jack & the Beanstalk project.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom