• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

8th Movie Information Thread (SPOILERS, of course)

Well, let's see - the first one had Umi, Sora, and Sweet. But they didn't really matter to the plot any.

The second movie had Melody. Ugh.

The third movie had that annoying little girl.

The fourth movie had Sammy, but since he's actually Professor Oak, I don't think you can count him as a character of the day.

Fifth movie had what's-her-name - the little girl that Latias turned into.

Sixth movie had Butler.

Seventh had that whiny little wuss, Tooi.

Eigth has some surfer dude, I'm assuming.

So Movie 1 and 4 are absent of any annoying extraneous characters, at least . . .

The premise of Mewtwo Strikes back was good, but it was not executed very well (Mewtwo Returns was a great improvement). The fourth movie, while I was glad it featured something that could actually be considered important to the overall plot of the series, is (so far) my least favorite Pokemon movie.

Like both of those movies, I would like to see something in this one to connect it to the TV series. Ideally, something involving Team Rocket and Miyamoto, but I think that is way too much to hope for.

An analysis of the Kanji compounds:

1998 - 逆襲 Dictionary word.
1999 - 爆誕 Sounds a lot like 爆弾, coined
2000 - 結晶塔 Straightforward.
2001 - 遭遇 Pronounced as 出合い, but the same meaning.
2002 - 護神 Pronounced as 守り神 , and is part of another word, 守護神, which means the same thing.
2003 - 願い星 Straightforward.
2004 - 裂空 Coined, not very straightforward.
2005 - 波導 Pronounced the same as 覇道 and 波動.

Some interesting compounds of 導:

教導 【きょうどう】 (n,vs) instruction; teaching
導水 【どうすい】 (n) water conveyance
伝導 【でんどう】 (n,vs) conduction; transmission

I suspect 波導 uses 導 in the latter two senses. So, perhaps it's more of wave-transmission.

Also interesting is that there are compounds with 波 and 導 :

導波管 【どうはかん】 (n) waveguide
高周波誘導加熱 【こうしゅうはゆうどうかねつ】 high frequency induction heating
高周波誘導溶接 【こうしゅうはゆうどうようせつ】 high frequency induction welding

Mostly talking about electromagnetic waves, not ocean waves...

Blackjack Gabbiani said:
I would love for Miyamoto to show up at least somewhere in the film, even in just a prologue.

I'm just desperate for ANYTHING that would give Team Rocket a better role than the cameos they've been nearly reduced to in recent movies.

Argy said:
I'm just desperate for ANYTHING that would give Team Rocket a better role than the cameos they've been nearly reduced to in recent movies.

So would I. I watched the Deoxys movie yesterday and was depressed for about an hour afterwards.

Can anyone postulate, based on the schedules of previous movies, when the next trailer and poster should be out?

I would say end of this month or mid February.

An incomplete listing of the various pre-release and post-release clips for Pokemon 2004:
Trailer 1.20031205.swf
Trailer 2.20040306.swf
Trailer 3.20040417.swf
Trailer 4.20040708.avi
- I assume this was a Hoso episode...
Trailer 6.20040715.avi
Trailer 7.20040722.avi
Trailer 8.20040729.avi

I doubt we'll see anything for months.

A few updates on the site:

The short movie, 「ポケモン3Dアドベンチャー ミュウを探せ!」 "Pokemon 3D Adventure, Find Mew!" will premiere at PokePark in Nagoya, and will run from 18th March ~ 9th September 2005.

Next, they've put up a meta-game - find 5 Mew on the site that link to additional material. For the lazy, these are the pages linked to:
Mew?
Mew's debut
"Mewtwo's Counterattack" movie
Mew of the game
Exactly what are the activities of Mew of this movie!?

Also, the minigame was added.

Unfortunately, that last page only asks the question. It doesn't even hint at the answer.

It's slightly different from the one I saw at the Pokemon Center... No cast list. But I guess there's not much point in printing that since the page is so small.

The question should be, where did that come from? A magazine perhaps?

It's a tree.

By the way, I can make out some sort of Pokemon-ish face in that orb (it almost looks like Rayquaza). Don't take that seriously.

Last edited:
Something wicked occured to me...

...what if Mew isn't the innocent thing we saw in the first movie, but a demon?

Granted, I have very little to base this on, but...remember the Ancient Mew card? You know the translation? Right there, it says "LITTLE GOD OR EVIL"

Nothing new there; just a history of Mew's appearances in the anime and games.

Please note: The thread is from 19 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom